Toys are so much more fun when you open them!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 03Mach1, Nov 28, 2010.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok...so...this is so hard for me to say so I'll just say it.

Here goes...

I opened all of my remaining Classics figures and I HAD SO MUCH FUN!! As a MISBer, I didn't realize what I was missing. My original G1 figures from my childhood are all loose or MIB so I've always had them to fall back on. But after opening my Classics, Generations and now Jazz and Turbo Tracks from Reveal the Shield (rubsigns...yum) I'm more than a touch giddy. They're just so fun to tinker with and display next to my G1 stuff. I'd never open a sealed G1 figure because there are always loose or MIB samples of those. But the newer stuff...let 'er rip!
    :) 

And I'm not asking for a debate...just sharing.

2. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Congrats....I used to be the same way. I'd have everything MISB. Then I'd buy one of each figure to keep MISB and second one to open and put on display.

Then I realized that that was too expensive. So now all I buy is one of each to open and put on display.

Glad to see you finally saw the light as I did.....enjoy my friend!!

3. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Congrats! THe most fun of tfs is freeing them from their prison and enjoying them like that!

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I was right there with you with my animated collection. I still enjoy collecting samples of MISB for harder to find figures, but there's nothing better than opening a figure.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Animated is next on my hit list.
    :ev: 

6. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

I think TF collectors forget that the things they collect are childrens toys (Excluding TFC exclusives, Takara imports etc) and that these toys are meant to be played with and sometimes displayed.

So yeah, it's awesome to play with TFs.

7. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Don't be a virgin. Break those seals!

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Although I agree with you and I think toys are meant to be played with, being a collector of both sides (even though it's only a small portion of MISB) I think we can all agree it's pretty cool to see an AFA collection of G1 figures. I forget the member's names, but there are a few guys on here with sealed G1 collections and they are NICE. As for the later stuff being sealed, I don't know if I'm too big of a fan of it anymore.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    congrats, if i kept everything misb, i'd probably get really bored with collecting

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've kept only one figure MOSC, and that's a cheapo 2006 Legends class Cyb. Soundwave simply because the alt. mode looks like crap on the card back and simply so I can say I have a MIOC figure. I'd probably treat rarer figures the same way, but I don't have any. Yet.

Everything else gets broken out of the box. If I wanted to keep things in boxes, I'd just collect non-poseable figurines.

11. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I'm still a misber, but slowly freeing them, I blame video and pics reviews...some of them is so cooll its hard not open them....

12. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i don't do MISB... not being able to touch the toy, i might as well just collect pictures of it on the internet.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yup. Opening up the package and getting to play around with the toy feels awesome. I always feel people who collect MISB only are really missing out! Every fan should have some toys to open up! :D 

14. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I've got a couple of sealed toys, but not many. Free them!

Interestingly, on a couple of occasions ive seen loose figures get a lot of attention on ebay, but a sealed equivalent will be largely overlooked. I believe that for the most part, Transformer fans want to be able to play with a figure, and not feel bad about unsealing a sealed figure OR pay over the odds for a figure they'll never touch.

15. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I used to be all loose all the time. But now I do like to keep some stacks of MISB knick knacks to liven up the home office.

Right now its my goal to have at least doubles of every generations figure so I can lay out the misb generations collection if I want to; or photoshoot the loose set.

That is very true. If your hunting for a old figure to tinker with, then buying a misb semi-vintage sealed piece is going to feel like a waste of money over a loose sample. Maybe what were getting at is that as transformers go, there is a incentive to open figures and experience the engineering and play patterns with all its variety. The core puzzle of Transformation. Even catching more character from

A star wars collector might be satisfied with how the figures appear misb, but I need multiples of transformers if I do keep things sealed, because they demand to be explored.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  16. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Whilst if I ever get the funds together for something really special (say a LD figure or somesuch), I may keep it MIB, I really don't see the point in buying a toy with two or more forms, to only ever see one of them. As Mel Gibson said so eloquently in Braveheart.... "freedoooooooooooooooooooooooom!"

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Agreed I could not handle trying to do MISB. even more so AFAing a figure would drive me nuts.

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    congratulations on letting the inner child rip that packaging. the classics line is such a good one.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I collect two kinds of Transformers. Those I open, and those I haven't opened YET.

20. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Id love to have a MISB G1 collection, and when I started to collect the movie lines, and Classics, I started to keep them MOC/MISB, but quickly realized it would take up too much room. So instead of keeping them stacked in storage boxes not being able to see them unless I unpacked them, I started opening them. Now every time I come back from the store with a new haul, its a matter of minutes before they're set free.

But unfortunatly I cant bring myself to do the same with the eHobby/G1 repaints I own. They are inprisioned in their boxes.