Toys and sunlight

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by misterd, Aug 17, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

In the middle of rearranging my home office. My new desk has plenty of space to display toys, but it is also against a window. I know that direct sunlight can be bad, but this window faces away from the sun, so there is no direct sunlight hitting the desk or the toys. Any thoughts on how this might affect the toys?

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it's not in direct sun it should be ok. Plus I think it takes a while for any yellowing to occur, so you should be ok. It might not hurt to rotate the figures on display every couple months though.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

If there's a competing company next door, you can always throw Unicron in the window flipping the bird

4. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    plastic yellows in any kind of light, the more light, the quicker it will yellow.

obviously putting them in the sun will yellow them very fast :p  dust and smoke helps wreck them as well. but as long as they aren't in direct sunlight, they'll be ok for years and years. its only after decades that you notice it's yellowed, after putting it next to one that's been in the dark for the same amount of time :p 

5. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All sunlight is bad...direct or not. The only way to be safe is to not display them (not too much fun that way, though).

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Watch any white or almost white toys, as those will be the first to show signs of yellowing. I had an early Yammy 1/60 yellow in just under a couple months to where it was noticeably different colors on the plastic bits facing the window that didn't get direct sunlight at all. In fact, the only light it got was what leaked around the shade I ALWAYS have down.

As long as they aren't almost white, and the direct light is kept away, you're probably safe over semi-long periods of time.

7. infinitesadness

infinitesadness Huh?

will lights from white flourescent lamps yellow toys as well? or only sunlight?

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Sunlight isn't that bad. I had my own yellow Ultra Magnus cab years before Takara made one. And far cheaper, I might add. :p 

9. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  Good one man.

10. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I've been trying something new. I've got shelves built over a window in my toy room. I put plain white paper over the window. Then, for the experiment, I put some boxed stuff and some toys that it wouldn't kill me if they turned in front of the window. Take into account, this window faces the afternoon sun. It's been over 6 months, and even the boxes aren't faded (yet :p ). Also, the white paper is still translucent, so the room isn't a cave. Just passing along my experience.