toys and smells...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lumpy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    is there a way to get smells out of a toy? ie old smoke smell? will fabreeze work? or can that damage a toy...

a friend of mine has smoked in his house for awhile, but i'm trying to convince him to stop, but he's saying that damage is already done...but i think he's dumb...there's gotta be a solution, right?

2. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I picked up a Magnaboss a couple of months back that smelled horribly of smoke. I cleaned it using glass cleaner and that took away about 85 per cent of the stench. After he was cleaned I hit him with Febreeze twice and it took care of the odor.

I did test the cleaner and the Febreeze, though. I found a patch of plastic that wasn't really visible and smudged a little bit on to see if the cleaner would discolor it. I would suggest you do the same.

3. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    that will come in handy. I had to move back in with my parents and they smoke heavily so im sure everything now reeks of it. but atleast when I sell something I can remove that awful smell

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found the best, my opinin, to remove smoke smell. I used to live with my 2 chimneys, or parents, and had some toys displayed. When I moved out......Hot Damn!!! They reek!! After countless methods the best thing to remove the odor.......Oxygen.

Place figures in a laundry basket or a mesh bag and put them outside on a windy day. The more wind the better. Keep them in the shade to avoid the harmful effects of UV rays.

24-48 hours of wind should take care of almost any smell. Open them up to allow the air get into all the cracks and openings. If after a day they aren't all better, do it again. It WILL work. Now all my figs are good as new. Try it and you will be a believer.

5. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I had a couple figures I bought from people that had a smoke stench... a day or 2 sitting on my sheltered deck(no direct sunlight) with plenty of fresh air took care of the odor.

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oxygen IS the best solution for the obvious smell. I bought an entire lot last year that was form a smoker's. I didn't know but it was my fault for not asking. I aired it out in the garage and that took care of most of the smell.

For the ones I kept I washed it with soap and water and then immediately dried it. Didn't do that with the electronic ones. I can only smell them if I put them directly underneath my nose.

A bigger problem with smoking is that is discolors some of the white ones. The peroxide trick is good. I only used 3% though so it's not perfect.

7. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    In order of best to worst for smokey ebay toy fixes:

I've had luck with cat litter. I've buried a few alternators in a tub of (unused) kitty litter and gotten 99% of the smell out. They come out dusty, but smelling like nothing. 48-72 hours is good.

I've also tried toys in a ziplock full of baking powder. They came out still smelling a little smokey and as dusty as the kitty litter toys. Same bake time as the cat litter.

Fabreezing once in the morning and evening for 3 days didn't work to well. It takes care of about 50% of the smell, but it's not that great. And I worry about certain fragile TF plastics and that stuff. Better to do kitty litter.

8. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

The old sealed Tupperware trick works too, though I cleaned my figures up a bit with a wet rag first.

9. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Might depend on the potency, but fresh air has worked for me, too. I bought a bunch of Doctor Who figures recently from eBay and even though they were in excellent condition they smelled like an ashtray. After a few days sitting on the shelf though, they lost the stench.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    biggest risk here is making sure you place the figs in a place they aren't likely gonna be seen and possibly stolen from you, that and watching the weather reports as to prevent them from getting rained on

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

Discolor? bad smell?? WOW I smoke all the time in my room with my toys and all..

12. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You won't notice until you quit.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    A spray of 50% white wine vinegar and 50% water should work, too. I use it to disinfect any used ones I buy. Any leftover vinegar smell will dissipate.

--Moony

14. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

ive bought a toy from a smoker... i honestly dont mind the smell of cigarettes but the smell from the toy was nauseous.. I did the whole set it out in fresh air and it worked well

15. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Im picturing all of you... smelling your toys (straaaaange... Ive never had the urge to sniff my plastic!)

16. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I thought that this thread was going to be about how different plastic smells... because damn, the rubbery plastic on my Pretenders stinks.

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ele

No, I do not think there is, I tried a ton of things once on this Zoids Elephander I had won crazy cheap, I tried everything the thing still stunk, I sold it at a loss to get rid of it so it would not stink up my figures.

I hate smokers ruining up our toys.

Wish they had somehting that would give back that fresh out of box plastic smell.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soak them in a bucket of water & dish soap for a day. Let them dry out & they will be fine.

19. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

cig smell:
    Yea, what he said, those bastards... How dare they go to the store and buy their toy with their money, take it to their house, smoke their cigarette... THEN, resell it to US... USSS!!! ...who smell our toys vigorously, in search of forbidden scents from yesteryear!

new plastic smell: Mmmmm! Chemical-ly, Auuuugh **does the Homer Simpson daze**

Sorry all, i have nothing important to add, I just find this thread entertaining!

20. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Wrap the TF in news paper and seal in an air-tight container for a week...this will take the smell out...repeat a couple times with fresh news paper if needed...