Toys and Cultural differences?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by badlander86, May 12, 2011.

1. badlander86

badlander86 Expendable Tactician

Okay most of us here are basically toy collectors or enthusiasts but recently my mum started questioning my choice of toys and my method of displaying them.

A little background here, I'm a born Muslim as are my parents but we're moderate for the most part. Recently there was a case of people reporting toys (or primarily dolls) being seen walking or talking by themselves like the whole Teletubbie myth back in the Teletubbies hey-day.

Not that it's taboo for Muslims to play with toys or dolls and my parents have never questioned my Transformers collecting hobbies but once I started on the MOTUC stuff, my mum started to voice her concern. I think its primarily the Skull and demon motiffs that freak her out (Skeletor, Scare-Glow, Hordak...etc) and she asked me to have them shifted in a place she couldn't see them.

For the most part, I think someone might have gotten into her ear about toy-collecting being akin to Idol-worship or some such. I've always been conservative about the type of merch I buy (nothing racy like Japanese anime statues or overly demonic like MacFarlane stuff) and per her wishes I don't position them anywhere in the direction of my daily prayers.

Do you guys have the same issues with your more conservative parents/partners either from a cultural view or a religious one?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What's so bad about this? I think it would be wicked cool.

3. badlander86

Missed Child's Play did you?

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. But it would seem that you missed Toy Story. :D 

5. CharmedSerenity

CharmedSerenity Long Live the Legion

On the subject of movies with toys coming to life!

Imagine if the rumored toys were having a civil war with each other, :D 

6. badlander86

Small Soldiers?

7. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I collect Dolls Know as Asian ball Jointed Dolls. They come in different sizes and are very
    customizable. You pick out wigs for their hair, eyes, clothing, shoes, even how you want their face to be painted. The house hold is Christian but I am more opened minded and intrested in other cultures and all then my parents. My mother to this day hates my dolls she thinks they are idols and I spend too much time doing things with them. I am like I collect dolls and I go to doll meet up like once in a while. The dolls help me come out of my shell and meet some really nice people and make friends. I had a hard time doing this when I was younger. I did move the dolls out of the main part of my room so mom does not have to see them all the time. She still thinks my Black hair doll stares at her and is evil. And on another forum I am on there is a whole section on Supernatural doll stories.

The TF just seem to add fuel to the fire but mostly it seems it Unicron and Primus I have in my room she has trouble with. I pretty much tell her look they are toys nice toys that I am quite fond of but toys non the less. I don't pray to them ( she thought I did at one time I was a Big Inuyasha fan a long time ago and my room was coverd in stuff from the show those days are over now). I try to have her think logicaly but I think she has back off in the years when I refuse to sale or get ride of my stuff.

XD I just got a awsome Pyramind head wallscroll that say Welcome to Silent hill I can just see what she says about that when She finally notices.

8. badlander86

LoL. That's probably going to make her freak.

The idea of dolls and toys as representations of something we worship doesn't make sense. For the most part we know the toys we collect are based off fictitious characters and has little to no religious value outside of sentimentality or a hobby.

It just feels rather weird how easily they would link toys to idolatry.

9. CharmedSerenity

CharmedSerenity Long Live the Legion

Yep, had to mention my fav toy movie, ^_~

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If your living with parents, just keep it low key until she gets over it. Its not just muslim moms, parents of other cultures too always find stuff to gripe about. Your mom of course doesnt actually think youll use it as a berhala :)  so its just dogmatic reaction. As long as she doesnt start throwing out stuff you should be alright.

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, there were many turkish kids in my class and I guess they were muslims because they were not allowed to eat things like Salami which is made out of pigs. But they all had MASK, Transformers, He-Man and stuff like we other kids did as well.

12. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

My parents just think I spend too much on toys. They keep telling me to be more conservative when it comes to spending. Heck, one of my favorite cousins is a collector, too, and his parents aren't bothered by it.

13. badlander86

Ha ha, she found a reason to when I flunked my 'N' Level Maths all those years ago. But yeah, I guess its a matter of the type of toys though to be frank my stuff seems ALOT more tame as compared to the stuff other dudes/dudettes collect.

14. Alexicon

Alexicon Active Member

Hey Buddy,
    I totally know what you mean. I was born Christian, and have grown up with Christians. some of my friends growing up was not allowed to collect transformers, Star wars, Pokemon, Yu Gi oh or anything like that because their parents saw how some of these things represented demonic monsters, magic, and other gods. My mother was never strict on me as long as i knew where my heart was and that i didn't get to obsessed with collecting . Idol-worship was also another thing that was always directed at me by my firends mum's lol, because i loved to collect things.. model planes, cards, action figures, cars. Growing up i also heard about all these doll things walking and moving.

I think that my friends parents where scared that these things might interfere with their faith and distract them, so they played it safe.
    I have grown up collecting these things and have maintained pretty strong to my faith.

15. badlander86

Would you say that they are more concerned with the financial implications of such a collection or is it something else?

Some folks have it in their mind that collecting toys/watches/memorabilia has this materialist obsession and should be brought under control or something.

16. badlander86

Yeah good to know it isn't just my mom being overtly cautious.

But interestingly enough there are circles of religious folks who tend to send out E-mails targeting a certain franchise, TV show or game that is supposedly offensive to the receiver's practicing religion. The one that comes to my memory is the Pokemon rumor spread by some anonymous guy/gal to Muslims about it being about pork or something. It's rather bizarre. Some people say that these rumors are actually spread by rival companies as a smear campaign of sorts.

17. Alexicon

Alexicon Active Member

yeah!
    we even has some preachers go to churches and preach against all these shows and tell everyone to throw any merchandise away. the biggest thing right now is the illuminati and it supposedly controlling music and worshiping the devil. i know a lot of christian people are making their kids delete every secular music on their ipods n stuff.

18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    How can you be born Christian?

19. badlander86

I'm guessing if both a person's parents are Christians, naturally the child will be baptized and raised a Christian.

Its just how people tend to identify their cultural identity when they're young, with the religion their parents practice.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I love how everyone likes to assume the Illuminati are evil. No-one seems to consider the possibility that they may be the best thing since sliced bread.