Toyota Prius Owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife and I plan on trading in one of our cars for the new third generation Prius.

For those of you who own a Prius, what are your complaints about it? I've heard nothing but praises from my buddies who own a Prius but couldn't really give me any productive criticism about them.

Has anyone had problems with the battery/engine? How does it drive?

I'd like to test drive one but the things keep getting sold out before I can even show up at a dealership to look at one close up.

So yeah, if you own one, be honest. What areas do you feel the Prius falls short on (aside from horsepower, of course.)

2. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Being a Prius owner for 3 years now, it really is a nice car. My only complaints are:
    • HUGE freakin blind spots
    • Slow acceleration from 0-35 (my previous car was a v6)
    • small trunk space - sure it's a given since it's a hatchback but still it's small

If I think of anything else I'll update this list. The 3rd Gens are supposed to be much nicer especially with the Technology package.

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Hmmm. First time someone mentioned blind spots. I'll have to make sure to keep that in mind on the test drive.

As for acceleration, I've succumbed to the fact that it will be nothing but a glorified golf cart engine. I currently have a WRX which has a turbocharged engine so I'm sure the Prius can't compare in that aspect. Plus I see the gas saved as a fair trade off.

As far as the trunk space, is it bad even with the 40/60 drop down back seats? My WRX trunk is really small. On top of that, the back seats don't even drop down. :( 

4. sunlink

News Credits:
    You get used to the blind spots and the backup cam helps too. Just watch out for the kiddies when backing up from a parking spot. No engine noise = no one paying attention.

As for the acceleration, after you get it going it's actually pretty good. Def test drive on a highway if you can. Don't forget Al Gore's son got caught doing 100+ in one. :ev: 

The 40/60 down is fine. But being paranoid with no window tints I hate to leave anything "out in the open" for people to see. (that can so be taken out of context =)

5. Slither

Slither Let's Kick DeCEptiCAN!

Hi razer, I just bought a 2010 prius 2 months ago, and so far so I'm very pleased with it, only minor complaints really. First was the lack of get up and go especially if you choose to drive in ECO mode, i get about a 3mpg gain driving over driving in normal mode btw , but once you get used to it you wont really notice (i used to drive a f150). Second I guess is the lack of leg room in the back seats but I guess thats too be expected in a car this size. On the plus side, the ride is pretty smooth, very quiet, and I can go around 450 to 500miles on a full tank. One tip though, never ever let your car battery die, I made that mistake when I was putting on tint in the car and left the radio on. Everything is electronic including the shifter so I couldnt open the doors and trunk, couldnt even put the car in neural to roll it out to get jumped lol

here's a couple pics :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Is the blind spot in the back because of the high trunk positioning? I suspected that it might've been a blind spot on the previous generation Prius as well.

As far as the trunk goes, I normally don't leave anything important in plain sight in the car anyways so hopefully that won't matter much. Maybe if I tint the windows as dark as possible might help too. I figure with the tint as dark as possible, the solar powered auto AC function on the new Prius may be even more effective.

Nice!

At first I didn't know what to think about the new gen. But the edgier, more sportier look is definitely growing on me fast.

The rear seat leg room is probably still better than what I have right now on my WRX as well.

Good to know about the battery! Can it be jump started like your normal style car battery with jumper cables and whatnot? Or does it require a new battery entirely?

We definitely want the package with the solar roof. That's our top requirement. So far the dealer has had none available for us to look at. The things are just being snatched up the second they hit the lot. I heard that the solar roof option means you can't have a sun/moon roof though. Is this true? :( 

7. sunlink

News Credits:
    The blind spot is basically where the passenger side airbags are at and the slope of the back of the car.

[​IMG]

the areas in the red circles are the blind spots (or for the front harder it's just a harder to see spot)

Not sure about the 3rd gen but the Prius can be jumped. It just cant give a jump start to someone else.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  8. Slither

Slither Let's Kick DeCEptiCAN!

yeah you can still jump start the car like any other, the car battery actually sits in the trunk off to the right side, which can be jumped here or more traditionally under the hood. One thing you'll notice is a vent in the back seat, never block this vent or bad things will happen I heard, its supposed to be for the battery.

As for the sun roof, I cant really help you there they didnt have those either when I went during the height of the cash for clunkers program

check out- PriusChat | Toyota Prius Forums, News, and Accessories lots of good info on their forums.

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    It can't jump someone else? That's peculiar.

Awesome. I'll have to check out that forum. I'll also have to look for that vent you mentioned.

Thanks for the input guys!

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

[​IMG]

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    What episode is that from?

12. TheIncredibleHulk

Its the one where Kyle's dad buys a hybrid. "Smug Alert" I think. He moves the family to California where all the hybrid owners like to smell their own farts. Every time I hear "Prius", I think of this episode.

YouTube - south park smug farts

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    :lolol 

Great. Now that's all I'll think about when if I drive it in the future.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

[​IMG]

15. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I love our Prius. My only real gripe is that it doesn't have much "get up and go", which is a small price to pay for RIDICULOUS fuel efficiency. And it actually can fit quite a lot in its rear, especially 'cause you can fold down the seats.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

But what about service costs? I come from a family that regards taking your car to the dealership for servicing akin to dropping trou' and grabbing your ankles.

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Right. I heard mention that the battery has to be changed in a certain amount of years and that alone is around $5K or something.

18. newguy

newguy i

Besides that it destroys the enviroment no complaints.
    You see to make the battery toyota has to mince for nickle. In doing so they cause as much damage to the enviroment as driving a landrover.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    While it's true that anything made these days affects the environment one way or another, at least it keeps emissions low and saves money on gas. Not that that is a good reason to destroy the environment but I'd like to think it makes a little less impact than your run of the mill gas guzzling SUV or muscle car.

20. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    You know, you should drive one. Not just a test drive, but a normal run of errands for both you and your wife.

Zipcar has a promotion right now in Alexandria where they will refund your $25 application fee and $50 annual fee. If you're not familiar with Zipcar, it's a car-sharing company. They employ a huge fleet of vehicles, including the Prius, and you could borrow one from them for around $10 per hour (including gas and insurance).

I sound like I work for them, but I don't. I've just used them for a while and like what they offer.

Anyhow, in your case, this would allow you to play around with one without resorting to a limited test drive. It's a big purchase, so a few hours on the road with one may be helpful for you and a membership for a year would cost you nothing.

I have to agree about the blind spot issue on the Prius, though I haven't driven one with the installed rear camera. Aside from that, I love the car. It takes some getting used to when you hear the engine shut off when idling as most are accustomed to think that no sound means the car has a problem. That is clearly not a big issue, though, just an acknowledgement of how different the vehicle is from others. (It's also weird to hit a power button to turn the car on, but again, that isn't a real issue.)

I have driven one on most conditions and always seem to get near 50 MPG. It doesn't matter if it's city, highway, or a mix of the two. The power may not be that of a regular passenger vehicle, but I haven't had an issue with highway driving and a lack of acceleration. It's fun to drive and it would definitely be on my list if I happened to be in the market for a new car.
    Don't listen to the naysayers; when the first mass-produced automobile rolled off Ford's assembly line, they would have been making similar arguments in favor of keeping the horse. Battery technology is only going to keep getting better and more efficient.