Toynk Toys = bad shipping practices

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by urabob, Jun 21, 2012.

1. urabob

urabob Bienvenido Consumidor

Recently I ordered a Masterpiece Starscream MP-11 from Toynk Toys, but was very disappointed in the condition it arrived in. The packing was sub-par and Starscream paid the price. Instead of providing an ample sized box and using packing material around the outer edges, the box of MP-11 sat right against the outer wall of the shipping box and got crushed.

It's unfortunate and it's a problem that could have been easily avoided. What's worse is that Toynk flippantly responded, "These are packed quite well actually." when I brought up the matter of the insufficient packing material.

Thankfully, Amazon provides an A-to-Z Guarantee for my purchase and I'll get my money back. I'm never going to do business with them again because the hassle of shipping my item back isn't worth the twenty dollars I "saved." I'm not sure if this is typical of their service, but I thought I'd share my experience with other fans.

If this post is in the wrong section, I would appreciate if a mod could move it. As far as I can tell, this seems like the right place for the posting. If not, I apologize.

I'm not saying Toynk is a bad retailer, but I've certainly experienced better from Captured Prey, TFSource, and Big Bad ToyStore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Wombat King

The Wombat King Ruler of a distant land

Wow, that got messed up. I had an almost identical experience. I got mine from Toynk off Amazon and it was packed the exact same way. Box just big enough and two pieces of packing paper. Fortunately for mine the MP's box was against the side that took the least amount of crushing. Though Starscream's box is pretty messed up, the figure was ok. Still is blows if I ever decide to resell the item down the road.
    Here's a shot of the worst corner of my box.

[​IMG]

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I'd be inflamed if I got a product from a normal seller in that bad of a condition.

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Was the figure itself damaged?

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tell you what, mail me 40 dollars and I'll trade boxes with you:D 

EDIT: You got it as part of that sale right?

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, guess I'm glad my order didn't go through Saturday after all.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Did you contact Toynk Toys? My thinking is that they would work something out with you there.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    that's why people should go Robotkingdom! :D 

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Ouch.

I believe i have ordered from them before Via Amazon but nothing so large or expensive as MP-11.

They with out question should have used a larger box and padded it.

To me BBTS is the gold standard of packing what the sell to be shipped.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have MUCH more fonder memories of the OCD packaging from TFSource. BBTS is "sufficient" for my orders. They've improved a lot since I ordered my BT Dead End from them many years ago that had a slice from a box cutter gashing the window open. Joel fixed the order for me :) 

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Honestly? If it was just the cardboard exterior of the packaging and everything inside was fine, I wouldn't even start a thread. I'd just open the box, take out the toy and throw away the packaging.

A few months ago I bought the Classics Jetfire/Grimlock two-pack on eBay. The box had some cracks, though in all fairness, they were explicitly highlighted in detail photos in the auction. It was a very good deal for these two toys, and since I collect toys, not boxes, I gladly purchased it and never regretted it.

12. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    That 'Thank you for your order' card is just the icing on the cake.

If it's the same ToyNk as on eBay, their feedback is patchy.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    For some, such as those who collect Masterpiece figures, the package carries some important as well. I know for this figure, I would not be happy either, especially considering the price paid. While I don't have to have a box that just near perfect, I don't want one that looks like it's been kicked around either.

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. Half the reason I like there Japanese release masterpiece figures is because of the super nice boxes. On topic, I've bought figures from toynk's store front in the past (got Grimlock there), but this is just unacceptable.

15. urabob

urabob Bienvenido Consumidor

Thing is, I like the boxes Takara TFs come in. Something domestic that comes on a bubble/card I'm not likely to save. However, the nice boxes used in the Predacon reissue or the Masterpiece TFs are something I like collect.

The design of the fonts, the mix of matte and UV coated finishes, the die cuts, or the metal inks are all very attractive and just add to the overall appeal of the figures. To me it's no different than a "collector's edition" of a video game, album or movie.

Toynk offered me a refund as soon as I contacted them, which was nice. I don't get the figure and I'll have to get it somewhere else.

However, when I mentioned the lacking of sufficient packing, they responded that, "These are packed quite well actually."

Which as you can see is not true. The shipment was insured and I suppose they are not out anything other than the hassle of filing a claim and time it takes for the investigation. It just seems easier and more efficient to just pack their shipments correctly and avoid this sort of thing. :\

And yes, the "thank you" card made me laugh a little. Maybe spend more on packing material and less on custom post-it notes?

16. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

I'm glad this thread was started, while you may not care about the box, there are many collectors who do and would be horrified to receive anything in that condition. The seller has no way of knowing which buyers are MISB collectors and who is not, so it's wrong to assume no one cares about the packaging.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    If you have to have a nice box, do whatever you can to get a preorder at BBTS and pay the extra $2 for "collector grade" packaging. They used to be really good with using alot of bubble wrap but now they even put collector stuff inside a second box too. I'm not surprised at the cavalier attitude towards boxes here, though, after two solid decades of utterly low-class efforts on Hasbro's part.

18. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta agree with SQ7 here. I'm by no means a MISB collector, but I prefer the packaging be in better shape than not. I can only imagine how angry a MISB collector would be over this.

19. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow that damage is bad. Almost looks like someone played soccer with it. I have to agree with the others, that the MP boxes are awesome and I always keep them even though I display my figures. I'm glad you're able to get your money back, as no collectors figure should arrive in that condition.

20. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Ouch, I would be spewin if I were you. That really sucks big time...I think this might be same seller on ebay. I bought once from them I think with no dramas. I haven't purchased from them lately and after seeing this i will completely avoid them now.

Funny thing for me is, the items that were slightly damaged(not even remotely close to this case though) from shipping have been from local sellers....