toynk.com shipped me a defective toy, then accused me of being a scam artist

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by saysomething, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saysomething

saysomething Member

I just wanted to share with everyone how unpleasant my transaction was with toynk.com. Here's what happened...

I found a listing for the Takara Masterpiece Grimlock advertised on toynk.com. The listing showed "Condition: Brand New & Factory Sealed". At the time, the listing was for $229.

I emailed toynk to see if this was the first or second edition released by Takara, to hopefully avoid the older one with factory defects. Someone that went by "Brenna99" responded by email a few days later, and told me it was the second edition.

I was ready to buy it, but went back to toynk.com, and the price was raised to $269. Here is a screen shot of the ad:

[​IMG]

I emailed customer service back to see if they would still honor the previous price. They honored the lower price, and sold it to me for $229. I used a coupon for free shipping also. I got the package about a week later.

The toy was factory sealed as far as I could tell, but it had a broken left shoulder, preventing it from transforming correctly, and there were lots of scratches on the chrome tail. (These may have all been factory defects.)

I emailed toynk.com customer service with a description of the damage, but didn't hear back within 24 hours. I opened a Dispute in Paypal, just to be safe. Someone from toynk.com responded with some nasty notes in Paypal. See for yourselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paypal investigated, and finally did force toynk.com to give me a full refund for the purchase. I am still out $15 for the return shipping, though.

[​IMG]

Everyone, please learn a lesson from my mistake, and don't do business with this company.

They have some terrible people working there.

2. saysomething

saysomething Member

Here is the full nasty message from toynk.com transcribed, for anyone that can't see the screenshot in my last post.

9/22/2012 23:05 PDT - Seller: You contacted us first to do a price match and we honored it even though we never raised the price in the first place, then you used a gift card and a free shipping code which is not allowed, yet we honored that too. Now you say imperfections?

9/22/2012 23:07 PDT - Seller: This is a hand painted item , what you are describing is not possible. However we have a flexible return policy so please send back this expensive in the EXACT condition which was brand new no dents in the retail packaging or anything make sure packaged well when you send back and then we will process refund. Looks like according to the notes on your account you have done this to us before. Please do not buy from us again return our merchandise and we will refund and be done. Thanks

9/22/2012 23:08 PDT - Seller: This guy is scamming us and it's not the first time he has done this. This is a hand painted item and he knew it when he bought it this is a brand new item and there was nothing wrong with is. Please have this customer return our merchandise asap and then we will happily refund him in full and put him on our blocked buyer list. He is fraud! Thank you Return to 2249 Windsor Court, Addison, IL 60101 Thank you

9/22/2012 23:08 PDT - PayPal: Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.

3. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I ordered a Movie Masters Batman Begins figure from them and they sent me the Dark Knight version. When I emailed them about it they were like, it's the same figure, what's the problem? Idiots.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I think this is against the rules.

5. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I dont think its against the rules, I really dont see the point if he won the pp case. I mean he states he received the toy misb, its really nobody's fault here. Just be glad you got your money back and chalk it up as a win.

Ever hear of toysnjoys? This little problem aint a problem.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

It is? Then why is there a Rant About Work/School/Life Thread in the off topic forum?

7. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well wait... Were you initially trying to get your money back AND keep the Grimlock?

8. saysomething

saysomething Member

Sorry, I wasn't trying to break any rules. I just thought people would like to know, so they can avoid any stressful transactions in the future.

Any reputable business should provide a refund for defective or broken merchandise. They are legally bound to do so, if they want to perform business in the US. They should not be making personal attacks and insulting a customer.

What really made me want to share this, was the fact that toynk.com provided false statements to Paypal in an attempt to not refund my money.

9. saysomething

saysomething Member

No, not at all.

10. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotcha. Toynk comes off as really petty here.

11. deltagod

deltagod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm happy to learn of someones experience. As someone who spends thousands of dollars a year on this hobby (like many of us here do) I want to know who I shouldn't deal with.

ToyArena lost my business permanently (and I'll go out of my way to share that information with anyone I can) when they shipped me a MISB commemorative edition transformer, refused to pay shipping back and were pretty rude - it arrived as below. toynk.com has also made sure that I'll never purchase from them by treating someone like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since that experience, it's been BBTS or bust. Yes ToyArena, this could have been yours on a monthly basis. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully I'll persuade a few other buyers to spend their money somewhere more deserving and who knows how to handle issues. Problems can happen to anyone from any vendor, but what makes the difference is how they resolve them.

[​IMG]

12. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    For whatever its worth Im sure a lot of us appreciate the heads up.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't think it is. Countless members have started threads on disputes with online retailers, which can be useful as they serve as a heads-up to other members. This isn't the first time someone has posted a thread on toynk.com, either.

14. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

It's always good to share negative info on companies just do others don't end up being scammed

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I know the guys at Toy Arena. I've never had anything I bought from them break but they don't accept returns on opened products. I'd be astonished if they did returns for customers buying from them online.

16. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    Dude, you have to open it to see if its defective. That makes no sense and a dumb policy

17. xMostWanted559x

Well defect and returns is two different things and yea lol you have to open it to know its defective.

18. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

TA doesn't take returns on opened items so they don't lose money so it's not dumb.

19. xMostWanted559x

Even if its defective?

20. deltagod

deltagod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, that was a sealed box.

The flaps on the commemorative packages open - that picture is from inside the flap. (Among the other pictures and video I have of the package)

You'd have to be crazy to buy higher end or expensive items from a scummy company like toy arena.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.