Toynami Naruto Shippuden 4" figures

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by theestampede, Mar 13, 2011.

1. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'm not a big fan of the show/ comic, though I used to love it when I was in middle/ early high school, but when I was at a lcs earlier today, they had the new line in and I bought Kakashi on whim. These things are surprisingly awesome.

Its very much like a tiny (kakashi is around 4 3/4 inches) figma, except it feels a little sturdier than the only figma I have.

Articulation
    The box advertises 24 points of articulation. It uses the cut ball swivel joints in the neck shoulders and ankle, has a torso joint, bicep swivel, single joint elbows, wrist swivels, the hands peg in similar to how a figmas does and even has a swivel at the peg, thigh swivel, single joint knee, and a waist joint.

those cut ball swivels allow for part swapping between the figures (if you want to, that is) I even discovered that they work with figmas themselves as I could swap Kakashi's head with Figma Ryuki's.

The crotch area is made with soft plastic that some what floats around the waist joint (its not actually floating the joint is just inside it and moves seperately) to allow more movement with the legs while retaining the look of his pants.This is very similar to how Square's Playarts line The neck/ shoulder pads are made of the same stuff.

Accessories
    Kakashi comes with an extra head (one has his rasengan covered up, the other doesn't), a bunch of hands (a pair of splayed, pair of hands with molded in kunai, pair of hands making seals, and a single hand holding a book), and a clear stand that pegs into his foot.

Overall, I am admittedly very surprised, this guy is incredibly solid. So much so that I am contemplating buying at least one more of these guys. My only complaints is that I wish they had used the cut ball swivel at the elbows and ankles and while I am happy with the large hand selection, I would have also liked him to come with some fist.

If your a fan or like any of the character designs, I highly recommend them.

Anyone else picked any of these up?

I don't have a good camera so I'm not gonna try to take any good photos to show him off, but here's a site with a review and lots of photos

Toynami 4-Inch Naruto Shippuden Wave 1 Kakashi | ActionFigurePics.com

2. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I like Akatsuki a lot so I made a point of only collecting members from that organization. So far I have Deidara and Uchiha and as long they continue to release Akatsuki I'll keep buying. My dream would be a box set featuring all the Pains.

3. theestampede

News Credits:
    didn't know wave 2 was out, do you have any pics?

4. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Yes, these are solid figures. I purchased the entire wave months ago. Great figures and worth owning if you are a fan. That said, I am eagerly awaiting the next waves to come. I don't have a camera at present, but I can give readers a little bit of info of each charater out in Wave 1.

Kakashi is probably the best figure of the current wave 1. Like you pointed out, he comes with a lot of accessories. One can tell, they really went all out on him judging from all the attention he recieved. The sculpt is top-notch; it really captures the anime/manga look. Indeed there is a lot of play-value in Kakashi.

Naruto is also a fun little figure. Articulation is pretty much what you would expect if you own Kakashi. He doesn't come with a lot of accessories; just a pair of kunai hands, sign hands, and a stand. My only gripe is the lack of an extra head. Naruto bears his trademark grin which really stays true to character but I would've loved to have the option of giving him a battle-serious expression as well. Maybe even the demon-fox expression. Minor quible aside, he's a great figure.

Itachi is more of a hit or miss with fans/collectors in my opinion. To start out, Itachi is one of my favorite characters from the show so it was pleasing to see that a 4" articulated figure was released by Toynami. The sculpt and paint application is spot-on for the most part. He does lack accessories which I think could've made this figure a little more interesting to own. He only comes with an extra pair of hands. I honestly would've liked to see some kunai-wielding hands and an extra head. While the paint apps and the sculpt is on point for the most part, I would've wished his face was more serious looking. Also to point out, is his articulation. He does have all of the standard articulation the other figures have, but it is limited from the waist down. This is due to the Akatsuki cloak that he wears. Minor quibble aside, it's still a great figure, but a lot more could've been implemented to give it some more play value. If you're a fan of the character or a completionist, you'll want to get your hands on it.

I do appreciate Toynami's first attempt on 4" articulated figures, particularly with the Naruto franchise since most figures tend to be gashpons or just plain statues. Despite the minor flaws I've listed, these toys are definitely worth checking out. I am really looking forward to future waves of the 4" articulated line. Next up for Wave 2 is Deidara, Gaara, and Sasuke. With newer waves coming out, I look forward to see the evolution and progress in which how this new line is handled. I just hope that this time, the female ninja aren't ignored. Would love to have Hinata, Sakura, and Ino in the future waves.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen them in my local comic shop and have been tempted by Kakashi a few time as they look very well made. I've been passing for now since they're JUST out of 3 3/4" scale, which really pisses me off since that's my favorite scale.

6. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Yeah, they are slightly taller but I can see why they chose to produce them in this scale. In my perspective, it allows for more detail to be implemented in both sculpt and paint application. Of course Toynami could've made them taller to better suit the detail aspect of the figures but 4 inches doesn't seem too bad for articulated figures. Though, it would be interesting to see them pull of figures of that scale with the quality and detail to go with it :) 

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I need to find and purchase these figures STAT.

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm not a Naruto fan in the slightest, but my inner anime fan is telling me to get on any retail stuff like wildfire.

9. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

If you guys are going to hunt for them in the wild, I'd hit comic shops. That's where I heard they pop up. Chain stores such as Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc. don't carry them from what I was told. I've yet to spot them in those stores as well. They go for $12 but you can easily get them online. I got my set from BBTS.

10. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

Hmmm. I want to get Kakashi in the near future, but if Naruto and the upcoming Gaara are settled, I wanna see Hinata, Rock Lee, Shikamaru and Temari after them! :p 

11. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

I'm with you on Hinata, Shikamaru, and Temari; They're the one's I'm hoping to see the most. I wish there was more information available on this line of Toynami's 4" articulated figures.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Sorry I think we are talking about two different Naruto lines. My bad.

13. theestampede

News Credits:
    I find it odd that they aren't even listed on Toynami's site. The lack of any kind of information is really weird, I'd love to see what they've got planned. Toynami has the rights to a number of Jump franchises, maybe we'll get bleach at the very least.

thats cool

14. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

Bleach doesn't sound too bad, though of all the characters I wanna see is Tatsuki in her Karate Dougi/outfit! Not here school uniform! :p 

15. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Yeah, I visit the site from time to time to see if they update at all. I wish they'd paid more attention to their site; it would really help them and the consumer from a business standpoint. We may have to wait until Comic-Con to hear more about what they've got in store.

16. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I just recently bought Naruto and Kakashi and think the figures are awesome. I have been curious on series 2 and what the deal is with that. When did series 1 come out anyways?

17. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Series 2 is supposed to come out sometime during the 2nd Quarter of this year. It consists of Gaara, Deidara, and Sasuke.

Here's a video showcasing them at the 2011 Toy Fair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjsuf2pj4M&feature=related

As far as Series 1 goes, I think it was released in December of last year.

18. askani_son318

askani_son318 Well-Known Member

are these figures going retail? I havent seen them yet at any stores that I frequent

19. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Unfortunately, they're are mostly sold online. I've heard some people say that they've found some in Comic shops. No mass retail to my knowledge :( 

20. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I found them at a Fye store and a Suncoast store in malls. Only place I have ever seen the 4 inch ones. My TRU does carry some of the 6", but they don't look articulated at all