Toyfare Interview With Transformers Movie Writers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Ra88, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Toyfare Magazine interviews the TF Movie writers

Thanks to Crimson Dynamo of DonMurphy.Com for this news.

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/showthread.php?threadid=16575&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Here are scans of the interview (courtesy to Wade2501 of DM.Com), but I don't know if the staff approves of scans or not. If they do, then mods, feel free to delete the links.

Scans now legally available: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=120215

Of interesting note is how the studio (read: Lorenzo Bino-something, AKA the Batnipple/Anti-Cullen/Hardon For Robot Scorpions guy) didn't want the Transformers to talk. Thankfully, they managed to get around that, but it could be where the whole Mutebee-disaster found it's origin.

2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty cool, just more and more stuff saying "go watch the damn movie" :p 

3. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I think people would have literally been killed if they released a TF movie where the designs look the way they do AND none of the robots spoke. Wow that would have been bad news.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Do NOT post scans from Toyfare magazine.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd be ticked if the robots didn't talk. Thankfully, they only "don't talk much". :) 

6. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

It's kind of alarming that the script made it through even one or two drafts intentionally with no Transformers dialogue. Sheesh, so much for character development. Hell, so much for "characterization," period. That might explain why in the draft I read some Transformers had 1-2 lines at the most.

I have a feeling the Jurassic Park comparison will prove to be very appropriate: a quick tease of a robot in the beginning, and then a slow buildup introducing all the humans, gradually revealing the robots, until the Transformers show up en masse for the climactic final act.

Let's hope the Transformers robots have a few more lines than the T-Rex and the Raptor.

7. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    ah, man THAT jerk ass is involved??? anyone woho knows much about movies should avoid that clown like the plauge.

Read up on the Superrman -vs- Polar Bears and a Giant Spider fiasco for more info...

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    What? Where can one read up on that?

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Any notable new images of toys? Or just the Protoforms?

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Boy, those two really do a jingo job of backpatting. Ugh.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Why on God's green Earth would he not want the Transformers to talk????

WTF?

12. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

The more I read about this movie, the less interested I am in spending 12 dollars to see it in a theatre.

13. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

They're doing an interview and talking about an upcoming movie they've working on. Did you honestly expect them to NOT talk about how great it is?

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I was...voicing my opinion. Is that cool? Is that all right?

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm guessing he knows next to nothing about the whole concept of the Transformers being "sentient robots" and just wanted them to be another batch of movie robots who stomp about and stuff.
    Seriously, TFs were one of the first shows to make the robots sentient, before that it was mostly either piloted mecha or robots controlled by a kid with a remote (no offence to Voltron, Mazinger, Getter or Tetsujin).
    Why turn back on what made Transformers unique in the first place?

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Scans from Toyfare are not O.K. but those scans from Empire (another retail magazine) are perfectly fine?

Ah well.

Interesting article, nothing that exciting though. The mind boggles that originally the TFs weren't going to speak. I guess that gives us hope that maybe the shooting script had even more TF lines than the Feb draft.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Uhh... because he's yet another studio exec who has his head stuffed up his ass and doesn't know the first thing about the movie he's backing. That's about par for the course where Hollywood is concerned, especially when it comes to cookie cutter summer blockbusters designed *solely* to rake in the big bucks as opposed to having any quality or substance whatsoever.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during THAT board meeting.

"So I was thinking... this is a movie about robots, yeah? What do you guys think about... wait for it... them not talking!?"

"Uhhh... well... ummm they kind of need to talk."

"Hmm, interesting. And why is that? R2-D2 didn't talk. He's cool. He's got it 'goin on, hep cats."

"No, seriously, they NEED to talk."

"Okay okay, then what about this - stay with me now - they DON'T transform! I mean, they're robots, yeah? Why do they need to turn into stuff? I Robot or the Terminator didn't transform and they were cool. Yo, like the kids dug em and all that."

"Well, sir, they ARE called Transformers, so they kind of need to transform. It's apart of their disguise."

"Why do they need to be disguised? They're big fucking robots. What do they need to hide from? Humans? No way, cos I would run from big robots if I saw them. Don't wanna get squished. Big robots are like, scary and stuff. I know I wouldn't mess with them. You dig?"

*uncomfortable silence - someone doing the token background cough*

"Okay okay, nevermind. Just got off the phone with Hasbro & Michael Bay - what do think about turning these things... what are they called again...?"

"Transformers..."

"Yeah yeah, these 'Trans.form.ers'... what do you think about making them into big piles of scrap metal that look like bugs? Bugs are scary! Bugs from alien planets are even scarier! Let's do that! I wanna be scared when I go see this Truckfarmers movie!"

"Transformers."

"Yeah yeah, that one."

"Okee, sold."

"And let's get that kid from Constatine and I, Robot! My daughter likes him. He's all witty and fast mouthed funny. Oh oh and that guy from Las Vegas who used to be a male model! My wife totally has a crush on him. I wonder what John Voight is doing? Find out and get him! I liked him in Deliverance. And let's get that homey from 2 Fast 2 Furious, yo. I liked that movie. Cars drove fast in it. And let's get a hot chick! Like, barely legal hot. I like young girls with huge cans. Just grab someone from The WB network or somewhere, they're nice & cheap."

"Done."

"Fantastic! Here's $150 Million Dollars. Call me when the movie opens. Oh and here's the new script that my retarded 10 year old revised. Follow it to the letter! I'm gonna go eat some money now."

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Big mad lols going to to Inception there. That's some funny stuff. Someone get their act together and film that. :lol 

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's pretty fuckin' funny! :lol  :lol  :lol 

And possibly close to the truth if bat-nipple-man was involved. That's one guy that should never be allowed to work in Hollywood again! EVER!

Edit: So, read the article, and aside from my thinking that their trust in Bay is a little off -sorry, not "hating" but I've never seen a movie of his I like, hope this will be a first- I get some pretty good vibes from these guys. Seems like they were trying to do the best for everyone around. I am glade they pushed for the Transformers speaking though. They do seem to pat themselves on the back a alot too... but I probably would have done the same talking about something I wrote!

20. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The sad thing is I was in a meeting like that when I was working out in LA. One guy brought in a wonderful script and these guys just ripped it to shreds in a bout an hour. In front of the guy who wrote it. They called him in cause they liked his ideas and then proceeded to chuck them all and then had the big Brass Balls to ask him to sign a contract with them.

I was sorry to not get the work after he told them off, but I had to respect the guy for standing up for his story. The Jackass who ran ripshod over the script, not so much.