Toyfare and Wizard magazines to cease publication

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Chrono Grimlock, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    LOL -I think that applies to everyone. :) 

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Shame. I remember reading Wizard all the time when I was younger.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    That's a shame. I know they can't hope to keep up with breaking news online, but I have a subscription to ToyFare and liked having the printed copy every month. Sure a lot of the release news was outdated by them time it went to print, but stuff like cover stories or the letters page were a neat read.

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    OMG!!! I read both magazines, Toyfare more than Wizard, but man this is some sad news. Actually I'm one of those freelancers they been talking about, hell I was young and stupid back than. But I've learned a valued lesson and I was ready to assume my subscription with Toyfare magazine, but I didn't realize about this was happening. So I guess shit happens. Damn!! At least it was fun while it lasted.

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Long over due (I quit Wizard around 2002 and never bought toyfare), but a shame to another publication bite the dust.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Good riddance, should have died with the rediculous era that spawned it.

I doubt it, Newsarama makes a healthy living passing off publicity as journalism.

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Took them long enough. Toyfare sucked for a long, long time. I thought it was the greatest thing when it first hit newsstands, but it quickly became nothing more than Robot Chicken: The Prequel. I still can't believe they're part of Robot Chicken..

Lee's tried to copy their ideas with disastrous results. Is Lee's even in publication anymore?

I guess there really is no need for them when we have the internet at our disposal, but it's incredibly sad to know that people will lose their jobs over this. Sometimes, the internet is a horrible, horrible thing.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Wizard used to be more humorus and fun. In the 90's it was twice the size and filled with great original art and satire on most pages. I've been getting it mostly out of habit. I was still enjoying Toyfare though.

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No more TF news and pics in print two months after it hits the web. :( 
    From Newsarama

11. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well except for diamond previews which usually gives us TF sneaks accidentally. But yeah I read about this over on toplessrobot.com and the guy who runs that site worked for wizard and anime insider for like 5 years. He said his sources hadn't confirmed the demise of toyfare as well but its entirely possible

12. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    I don't think this is TF news, but it is sad to see toyfare go, I always loved how they added word bubbles to the toys featured.

13. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I haven't read either for years (I have tons of the early issues) I'm gonna miss Twisted Toyfare Theatre.... I bought all the collections.

14. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I agree Wizard may have poor material I don't think anyone should be celebrating like this " bout damn time!" Or "good to see it go". Think about how many people just lost their jobs and in their little press release Wizard never outright said "we are killing toyfare and wizard mag". They just announce this online crap and killed hundreds of peoples jobs simultaneously. In this kind of economy I really don't think any of us should celebrate, and I actually enjoyed toyfare every month.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You know, with the Nook and Kindle both having color versions there has been a recent spike in online subscriptions to periodicals.
    It’s a shame Wizard\Toyfare couldn’t ride it out long enough to see if they could benefit from this.

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I was a long time subscriber. This is pretty lame. Some of their stuff was decent. I liked seeing the movie news and whatnot. Their price guides were normally crap, so I stopped using them long ago. I had a sub to Wizard for a few years when I was in highschool, but cancelled that and subbed to toyfare.

Sad day. I like seeing pics of shiny new toys.

17. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

It's a bit of a dressing, Twisted Toyfare Theatre has been hit or miss since most of the writers went on to Robot Chicken. Maybe in a couple years, Toyfare will be revived like EGM was last year

18. One

One Well-Known Member

That's just great... now where am I going to find out about new toys and cool stuff? *sigh*

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Aw shit. Toyfare is a regular on my pull list. Sure, TTT has been pretty crap in recent months/years, but its an wasy way to get the lowdown on figures that I wouldn't have the inclination to troll through the internet to look for. (Marvel Bishojo, I'm talking about you!)

I am a sad panda. :( 

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    This will do NOTHING to make me a more regular reader of either. I picked up both quite frequently to read on the train. If I came across a story that sounded "meh" I'd still end up reading it because I had time to kill and sometimes I'd end up interested in the topic despite not being instantly pulled in by the title...

...online if I'm not drawn to a title I'll NEVER read it because a million other topics are a click away...not once have I read a website in it's entirety...I've done that with magazines MUCH more often (and in all honesty I've remembered ADS I've seen in print much more than I remember online banners or pop ups...In fact I just closed my eyes and tried to remember the site sponsors that are right above this as I type and I got most of them WRONG :p