Toyfare 120 - Question Japanese Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevez0r, Jul 1, 2007.

1. stevez0r

stevez0r Well-Known Member

I just picked the Toyfare 120 issue which covers a lot of Transformers. I was looking for a price guide for Japanese G1 figure but they didn't list any. The Japanese price guide starts with Beast Formers. Can anyone point me in the write direction for a price guide for Japanese TF's?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Honestly a printed price guide is pretty much out dated within a month. Your best bet is to ask around or search Yahoo Japan and/or eBay auctions (www.rinkya.com has the easiest browsing, www.shoppingmalljapan.com has the lowest rates)

3. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Agreed. Online is the best way to track changes in prices. There are so many variables out there that make a printed guide absolutely worthless.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    toyfare price guide is useless.

toyfare is only good for fart jokes.

i am a subscriber.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hardly use Toyfair's price guides...and quite frankly I don't respect the mag as I do with other toy mags. Long before TFs were popular, they were making snide comments on the TF merchandise and fans. Now that TFs have are considered successful, they're changing their tune....ppffttt...it would have helped if they had been more objective like Lee's etc.

p.s. - please don't ask me for specifics...I just can't be bother with keeping details.

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT. I actually wish they'd get rid of the price guide and use that space for more comics or toy coverage. They need a whole section for fan-made funnies (I'm looking at you, LOLgear thread)

7. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah i like the toyfare comics. theyer funny as hell. and they do make toyfare books with nothing but comics, but if you already knew that then owell.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ???

they have consistently made fun of ALL toylines regardless.

excluding back issues ive been collecting every month since ish 50 something (around when AOTC came out), and theyve done a handful of TF special issues, so if you feel slighted, its most likely from misperception.

9. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

No, no, it's true - they (when Transformers was "out") busted on it constantly - and did the same with G.I. Joe. Far more so than other toylines, KA - from day 1.

I haven't read since probably when you started, as it got to be a nonsensical waste of money (as is Wizard).

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not making this up. There was even a time when ToyFare was blasted on this very board...either for its coverage or orice guide. As much as I find the jokes funny I don't find Toyfare's reviews (at times) objective. One can tell the tone of the jokes made for other toylines and TFs...again, I don't keep track of them.

As much as G.I Joe was made fun of, it was nothing compared to TF. You could tell that folks at ToyFair were shocked when G1 TF won some sort of "greatest toyline" competition, a few years back...it was attributed to TF fans being more tech savvy...using the internet more frequently. Anyway, no. 2 of the compeition was the original MOTU line.

Any entity that blasts something or someone and later changes its tune because the latter made "good", doesn't have my respect. Its a matter of principal. If the popularity of TFs decline, its a certainty that ToyFair will be one of the first to knock down the franchise.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no, no, you guys are wrong.

toyfare has a bad rep here because theyre uptight about scanning contents.

on content itself, i assure you, as a TF and a toy fan in general, they bust on EVERYBODY.

they bust on marvel (less on DC because DC threaten to get litigative), they bust on TV/movie series, they bust on anime/manga, they bust on 80s cartoons. if you notice them bust TF more, its most likely as a TF fan are more sensitive to it.

adam patyk, one of the early collaborators on DW was a staffer/editor. theyve had TFs on the cover numerous times (g1 optimus, mega SCF optimus, when unicron came out, a gi joe vs tf special, a japanese tf special, a tf movie special when it was announced, and these are just off the top of my head). also, a top 10/20 of classic toys way back before ish 50 (it was a back issue) included at least 2 TF - op and soundwave.

so it is ridiculous of you to accuse of toyfare hating on TF when they cover them so much. in fact toyfare was there when CR gained popularity in the US and was brought in as RID (toyfare started in the 90s).

in summary, you guys are confusing ribbing with hating.

(this msg is paid for by toyfare.)

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    No way dude. Because Toyfare was not just taking digs at the TF franchise like the other toy properties but at the TF fans too. Which I felt was uncall for.

The digs at the TF fans go long, long before all those DW exclusive (yeah, I got into ToyFare centuries ago) and yeah, TFs were rising in stock and popularity at the DW stage...so when I saw all those DW exclusives, my thought was akin to"...so the shoe's on the other foot now, huh"? Or something like that.

And I wasn't being sensitive because at that time, my craze for TFs weren't restored and I was into Superhero figures.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ok, you gotta give me something to work with here, examples?

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Like I say, i don't keep track of all the specifics as some of the issues can do back to literally years back and we're talking about within the first few years of ToyFair's inception (Yes, I have been reading Toyfair that long) and I've since gotten rid of the older mags.

Some of the comments made implied that TF fans have no life, things gone crazy because TFs becoming popular. Not the exact wordings but you get the point. The extent of TF bashin...er, ribbing was definitely more than the other toylines. I don't mind jokes at the toys but at the fans?

It got so bad to such as an extent, that I was actually wondering to myself - were TFs fans really that extreme or bad as say compared to Star Wars fans or G.I Joe and I'm the type who's er, rather laid-back. No offense to Star Wars or Joe fans as they're my fave lines also.

As I said, you should have seen the shock in their article when "TF won the greatest toyline" competition. The ToyFair guys were rooting for G.I. Joe but they were knocked out in the "semi-finals". I can't recall who the other losing "semi-finalist" was.

You can tell that they were non-pussed because suddenly the tone of the article was er, "serious"...stating that TFs won because of the huge internet presence of sorts, which seems pretty sore to me and my buddies.

Some of the articles and "awards" held by ToyFair over the last few years also seems "biased" also. For example, those "statues" of Spawn actually won "toyline of the year" award...BLAH!

Of course, there were some worthy winners like Star Wars but the whole set-up seemed very "commercial-like". ToyFair started being nicer to transformers was towards the rise of DW when they got alot of free exclusives. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Unless I'm mistaken or remembered wrongly, Toyfair has never gave a really "comprehensive" photo-guide of TFs...which showed all if not most of all of G1 as compared to the other lines...like Star Wars, G.I Joe etc...which implies to most of me and my friends...they're really not er, interested in the TF franchise but are just hoping into the bandwagon.

The most TF fans in terms of "good" TF coverage was the last 2 issues and an issue a couple months or a year back about "Japanese TFs". Those covers you mention...was when TFs were on the rise again.

Toyfair is just good for the jokes and pictures but beyond that...nothing. They're more objective toy mags out there in the market.

Trust me on this when the TF franchise is down, someone at ToyFair will probably come up with a joke or something like, "when TFs were cool".

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wow. you guys take your toy literature...seriously.

thats all i have to say abt that.

16. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    No, dude...I take toy collecting seriously...for example, in the case of the Toyfair incident I was looking out for magazines that had objective reviews on toys. XD