ToyFair 2012: Saturday Postmortem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was searching around for a thread to post this in and didn't find a wholly appropriate one, so I'm hoping I'll be forgiven for the proliferation. There's a "comment on the panel" thread, "comment on the pics" threads, and here in Toy Discussion there are "yay" and "nay" threads coalescing. I'm not sure any are appropriate for what I want to write though, which is very ambivalent. I'm going to take the best stab at analysis of Transformers stuff from today that I can.

So Transformers news, as usual, is three-pronged. You have your Movie, your Generations (G1 and FoC themes), and your Prime. Personally I have (well, had) an equal interest in all three.

Movie:

Movie Trilogy will save us all! It will! It...crap.

I remain only marginally impressed by the Trilogy Prime. It's a good idea, and a good mold, but the trailer is the worse of the two Takara produced and I already got the version of the mold that came with a giant cannon...arguably the better of the Big Gray Box, especially cause it's free. That alt mode displays great, but I just don't have room for it.

The trilogy redecos that were announced earlier...well, meh. I would (and still might) have bought Black Soundwave, just because I WOULD LIKE THAT MOLD THANKS. But Hasbro USA fumbled on it again. And I guess the forlorn hope of new tooling died its final death.

Considering the utter end of the TF3 stuff and the very embryonic state of TF4 news (so all those dead 'cons...still dead? Will the Wreckers ride again?), I am actually considering a massive compression of my movie collection. I had actually been deciding to buy shit partly based on the other shit that had been announced as coming out. Now...well, I'm passing on "Autobot Que" totally and I guess I'll look for a deal or a trade on Leadfoot or Soundwave. I was wondering if HA Soundwave would rekindle my interest in that line, as the HA basics sure didn't (just got a couple cool Targetmasters, the human interaction element of the toys was just not that fun). Now I'll likely sell most of my HAs.

I guess Hasbro's laughing all the way to the bank, I already bought the shit far as they're concerned. Well I'll remember that when we start hearing about TF4 stuff...

Oh yeah, and Deluxe Evac? Guess he just took a big step closer to being a ride exclusive. Wouldn't be the first time, look at Star Tours swag. I'll discuss the movie-ish Cyberverse remnants (LOL) below with...

Prime:

The big story of the con looks like Prime, as it should be. Unfortunately that meant stuff that's starting to hit shelves already took center stage. And my impression is that 2012 is The Year of Prime...BIG TIME. We will see jack-all else till fall.

Now about Prime...I love the show, no questions there. It's phenomenal. I had to think hard about the toys. See, I love Animated as a show, but decided that apart from a few favorites (Shockwave, TEAM CHAAR) the line really wasn't for me. I was really wondering back when Prime started to air if the figures would be interesting to me this time or not.

Then the FE news started to come out and hoooooo boy. These figures were scary good, nice and accurate and straightforward. Oh, what is this First Edition stuff? Don't worry, Hasbro doesn't waste good molds, you'll get these or wait for something EVEN BETTER!

Sigh...

The sheer unpleasantness of the Autobot "Powerizer" Voyagers blasted me back down to a state of near-apathy. However, on the bright side, the Cyberverse looks really good. Show-inspired playsets, all figures have great weapons even if they are clear (but they didn't even HAVE those before!). Why, a fellow could save a bit of coin and just collect the whole set! Why, Soundwave! I'd almost forgotten about you, let's have a look at...

Ok. Remember when Cyberverse Prime Mirage leaked? And he was a red RotF Legends Sideways? Having, fortunately, long since given up all hope that Hasbro would attempt any transforming Dino/movie Mirage, I laughed until my sides ached. This was the most fantastic trolling I had ever seen. And because it was so cheap, I'd still buy it! It wasn't even a good figure of the character it was designed to be back in 2009, but who cares? It would be in my collection forever just to commemorate this trolling. And still better than that Speed Stars Mirage I saw once and nearly bought just cause.

Sadly, I underestimated Hasbro. That can't be the MOST epic trolling of all time because there is still something desirable and appropriate about it.

Let this sink in...if you want to collect Cyberverse Prime, your Soundwave will be Dark of the Moon Soundwave painted in Prime Soundwave's colors. There's not a single thing about that which works. Movie Soundwave adds teeth, a jaw, and mandibles to the G1 head design. Prime Soundwave strips out recognizable eyes and the faceplate. Movie Soundwave is a car. Prime Soundwave is a drone plane. Re-naming this toy "Vehicon 2" would have made more sense. And to top it all off, they are re-releasing the only mold of DotM Soundwave that is already available in the United States.

Whew...it's an epic troll. But this time, not buying.

At the end of the day, the only thing I find that makes sense for Prime (other than just saying #$%& it and saving all my money) is to buy the Cyberverse Autobots and the mainline Decepticons. Even with that strategy, it requires me to track down a First Edition Starscream for scale reasons. At least it came out in my country...who wants to trade?

As for the rest of the Cyberverse...well, Evac is Evac. Not for moi. Dreadwing as Skyquake is kind of another troll altogether, since Dreadwing has been heavily rumored to appear in the show. I like his sword though, maybe enough to get one of his mold.

Oh yeah, Optimus Maximus. Neat idea, but unless Prime Season 2 is VERY different than I expect, it's going to go into the non-show no-buy ghetto. The only exception might be if someone convinces me he's a good set and there can be a good story behind him...then I might get him to pose against the other big guy from this year, Bruticus. On the other hand, THE most intriguing thing is the reveal that "Maximus" is now considered an "assortment". I am going to jump on the bandwagon and say the idea of a new FortMax is VERY intriguing to me! (Cue "Megatron Maximus" so the baddies have one.)

Generations:

40 new Generations toys planned?! This would be the story of the con from our perspective...if anybody believed it!

I'm as critical of Hasbro's ability to deliver anything in particular to shelves lately as anyone. But here's the thing. The promise itself is BIG news!

Many of us have been assuming that the retailers have been begrudgingly accepting Generations toys into their lives...er, on their shelves. Now, ToyFair, this is an industry con. Retailers are the ones Hasbro's really dressing to impress. They aren't waving their hands and mumbling "Generations" to us, they are saying "This shit is getting real." 40 figures? That's like a movie line right there (a real one, not DotM...j/k ;)  ). And 2013? That's basically telling us "2013, there's no TF4 yet and Prime will have a bunch of its shit out already, so time for ALL THE GENERATIONS." And so why SAY that?

I'm guessing it's because this shit is selling. Generations product stayed on shelves in parallel with DotM EVERYwhere that I saw. Generations shipped new product AFTER DotM went full-zombie in the US.

You want more evidence? How about this. Generations is getting a package change, as we saw for the packaged samples of FoC toys (see below). But check it...THE PACKAGE STILL SAYS GENERATIONS. Re-packaging but NOT re-branding? Sure, they say "FoC" on them in bigger letters (and that's a good move IMO), but literally the only reason to do this is that the Generations name is WORTH something right now. Fans always ask for "more Classics" and then get Universe, or "more Universe" and get Generations. But now I'm thinking that retailers, or perhaps someone else important, is screaming "More Generations!" If you disagree with me, then please explain to me why Generations wasn't just scrapped in favor of a "Fall of Cybertron" line. (Or from another perspective, why the FoC line is also branded Generations.)

Prime looks like the big story of the con, but IMHO Generations IS the big story of the con. Unless whoever was giving that panel was hallucinating, this brand is now considered big business by important people.

Now about the figures! Once again we have video game tie-ins that have enough "Classic" style to slide in nicely. At this point in my impressions, which perhaps have seemed a touch "negative," I'm gonna just switch over to full "haters gonna hate" mode.
    Shockwave: This is beyond a doubt the greatest news for my personal collection. It will really "complete" my Classics 'cons in a way they haven't been before. I AM USING SHOCKBLAST NOW PEOPLE
    Optimus: Eh...Generations has always been fantastic value, but this is a figure I'm considering leaving aside. The design is not as solid as WfC Optimus overall IMO. BUT, love his gun, and it actually wouldn't be hard to be a more fun toy than WfC Optimus (who I hate to transform). If he's decent, I'll probably get him with the rest of his wave and just keep him around.
    Jazz: Well, ya know, we have a Classics Jazz now. But he looks solid at a glance, his alt mode is actually nicer than any "Cybertronian car" has a right to be, and Jazz and Cliffjumper are paired up with each other in the FoC story...so he'll make a good partner to Generations Cliffjumper! YAY TRON LINES
    Combaticons: Why people keep looking this gift horse in the mouth is beyond me. Granted, some of its thunder is stolen because big Bruticus fans (LIKE ME) already have a great one. Without FP Brut, my god, you'd be peeling me off the ceiling.
    Checklist:
    Decent-to-good robot modes: check
    Decent-to-good vehicle modes: check
    Good-looking combined mode: check in my opinion
    NO partsforming: holy shit, check.
    FULL Scramble City functionality: ch-wait, WHAT? They did that? How in the-?
    All Deluxes: check, leading to...
    ENORMOUSNESS: Check!

If it's not for you, don't buy it, but actual complaining about this is incomprehensible to me. This is what we've been waiting for; they found a way to do it. It's like punching a chocolate gift horse in the dick. Christ, I can't believe I'm saying this since I already have so many Combaticons, but I would buy this without the combining! That Brawl is spot on to the WfC design, and I think I just love that Vortex.

So Yeah. The Generations news (even if it were just Shockwave and Bruticus!) makes me happy even in the light of IMO mismanagement of two whole lines that I WAS enjoying collecting/looking forward to, thank you very much.

Oh yeah. Marvel Death's Head is obviously also a valentine to us classic comics fans, and while I think I'm steering clear of most Kre-O, that Autotrooper/Vehicon chase set is adorable. I could totally be tickled by more Autotroopers on shelves.

Done!
    -Anguirus
    :D 

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    For me, thumbs up:

- TFP Cyberverse

- ALL of FoC Generations. Yes, all of it.

- Bot Shots

- Movie Trilogy Prime. Yeah, it's an old mold most people are done with. But he's a perfectly solid Deluxe and I'm a sucker for a trailer.

I'm really glad the FoC Generations came along because it's been getting kind of depressing having Cyberverse be the things I'm most anticipating.

And yeah, I'd be over the Moon about 40 Generations if we hadn't just had a bunch of stuff canceled out from under us over the past couple weeks.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Right now I'm like meh...what's the point if all these deluxe figures are gong to be tiny...

4. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I'm not thrilled either...it's particularly noticeable in the dreaded FE - RiD direct character comparison.

However, I try to have perspective. Deluxes haven't been reliably shrinking since the '90s or anything like that. Looking at Classics through Generations, it's more like Deluxes and Voyagers peaked in size around 2008-2010. Jetfire and Optimus are just as stumpy as they say DotM and RiD Voyagers suddenly are, and all the Deluxe cars still look great together. The vaunted Deluxe Starscream is small. Hound is also a shrimpkins...he comes with Ravage, who is hardly bigger than Nightstick, who came with the very tall Cyclonus.

I swear, if I had a good scale handy I'd weigh the damn things, get some data, and get away from these misleading impressions.

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, Generations and the 40 figure bit is the biggets bit of news for me and one helluva surprise. I figured we'd get a few figures, at least redecos we hadn't seen yet, sprinkled in with FoC stuff and maaaaaaaaybe some new molds (Trailbreaker/Hoist)...the full-on 40 figure lineup is mind-blowing.

Though I found it interesting they addressed First Edition, again...I'm surprised the Movieverse stuff is getting left in the lurch apparently. After the limited DotM line it did seem that the Movie stuff, without guaranteed news regarding Movie 4, was in Hasbro's rear-view window to some degree. I just didn't expect they'd basically skip three molds, apparently will skip any Dino/Mirage toy and will seriously use RotF Legends Sideways as a Mirage toy (lame).

Yay Kre-O (I like what I've seen today).

So yeah, a great deal of "Yay!" (Prime, Generations news, Kre-O) along with some "Huh?" (Movie stuff).

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:

If you want to look at bright sides, hey, it makes the Cyberverses look bigger.

7. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

the wfc megs - foc jazz comparison is pretty terrifying. plus i can't help but notice that lots of the foc deluxes have either spindly arms or legs.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. But man, I sure wish that Shockwave was a Voyager.

9. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy cow, just saw a great pic of Prime Ironhide's robot mode in the Prime section.

Ya know...I think Hasbro really likes to put it's "nudge wink" stuff in the Commander line lately. First Powerglide, then Guzzle, and now we get a bulked up but unmistakably G1 Ironhide robot mode...with movie cannons and a movie alt mode.

I had no interest in a Prime Ironhide, but this toy I actually have to have. My Cyberverse is very open to slightly confused G1 homages!

Dreadwing has beautiful colors too!

10. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't find this pic. Jazz is actually supposed to be teeny. But he looks similar to OP and Shockwave, and those guys sure aren't!

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    HAhahaha... :thumbs2: 

12. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

buried within one of twelve million active threads!
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ll-cybertron-toys-pictures-6.html#post7259599 that's post #149 of the generations thread. i get the feeling this site occasionally does weird things with specific post links so you might have to trawl a bit more

i can understand jazz being a tad shorter, but it doesn't look like shockwave or optimus fared too well ;_;

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think it's worth pointing out that the Cyberverse Soundwave, Mirage, and Evac do not have the word Prime on their packaging, while the rest of the Cyberverse figures do. They have similar packaging, but are not being sold as Prime toys.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :jawdropper: 

I...will...be...damned!

:bay 

That is a HELL of a good catch! Subtle, Hasbro... :D 

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There are pictures of Shockwave next to WFC Megatron, with Shockwave noticeably shorter. And WFC Megatron, you'll remember, wasn't a very big Deluxe himself.

In this case, the smaller size almost kind of works for me, because it makes the old Megatron stand taller than the new Optimus, and I like Megatron to be somewhat taller than OP.

16. Optimum1996

Optimum1996 Insert something here

Generations and Prime look awesome as usual! :thumb  Kre-O is gonna steal my money to...

Based on these decreasing sizes, will Deluxes become the new Cyberverse, and the Cyberverse become the new WSTs? ;) 

17. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    To clarify, he's not being marketed as a Prime Soundwave.

[​IMG]

18. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

I have to say I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the one area I was most keen to get 'new' information on- Transformers Prime. No new deluxes beyond what we've already seen, and the only new figures from the line (Breakdown, Dreadwing) are Cyberverse size and one of them is a repaint?! Ugh...

Love the other reveals, Cyberverse and FOC, but again Prime was the product I was most looking forward to and unfortunately we didn't get to see much that wasn't already old news by the time NYTF kicked off Saturday morning.

19. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    The only things that had my attention were the Kre-O sets (huzzah for them!), and the fact that 2013 would be the year for Generations toys. One hell of a claim for Hasbro that they plan on making 40 Generations toys and releasing them next year. I'm hoping that Hasbro keeps their promise, and that they expand the Generations line beyond just deluxes. Some of us would like a scout-class Bumblebee.

20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was kind of disappointed at first by the Movie news, but it'll save me money and space, so I'm not so mad about it now. Some of the Prime stuff looks decent, but I definitely won't be collecting the whole line (never planned to, though). The FOC toys look absolutely awesome, however, with the exception of Optimus, and if the news about 40 Generations figures is true (and as you mentioned, the fact that this is an industry-oriented convention rather than a fan-oriented one does make it seem more likely), that'll pretty much completely make up for the cancellation of the Movie line. I just hope that they're able to get us the Prime FE figures somehow.