Toy vs Character

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Simple question: Have you ever bought a toy solely because you liked the character as they were portrayed in comics/cartoon/whatever and not because the toy itself was particularily awesome?

I'm asking this from collector point of view, since as a kid you were very likely to get a toy specifically because of this.

I'd ask about the opposite too, but considering how many Transformers there are out there whose character is pretty much limited to the profile on the back of the box, there's just too many answers...but if they actually appeared in a comic or a cartoon, then by all means.

2. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    If it's a character I like then yeah I'll probably buy the toy even if it sucks

3. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated Wreck-Gar. The first figure I ever decided I had to get online to be sure I got it because I loved the character so much.

4. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Voyager Grindor. Not the character so much, but I used to work on those helicopters. I really wanted a transforming one despite hating the toy's robot mode. So bottom line is I bought a transformer for a bad model of a helicopter.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Universe Starscream (2.0 redeco in G1 colors). I always wanted a Starscream toy as a kid (loved the character in the video rental episodes, but Starscream was off the shelves for at least 10 years by that time), but I never managed to get one. Then the G1-colored Seeker came out, and I managed to snag him while Target was having one of those small sales on Deluxes, so I got the best of both toy and character (the better color scheme IMO and the better toy!)

There was also Armada Starscream, who I thought the character was totally bad-ass (loved how he even became an Autobot for a little bit), and so he became my first Decepticon toy. The toy isn't all that great, but considering the only other real TF I had at the time was the original infamous Hot Shot figure, Starscream had articulation to spare!

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I bought the toys because they were cool, as most of the toys never were shown in the series or the comics.

7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Character plays a very large part, I've got as many Megs' and Ratchets as other TF's. Favourites are Megs, Ratchet, Bruticus, Ravage, Blitzwing, and Scorpy. I've got multiples of them all except Scorpy, still looking for the KO Rainbow version of him.

I'll also buy TF's with little character if the toy's cool, as an example, I've got thirteen different Classics/Henkei Seekers, with five more to get!

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup, character matters when I buy toys. If it didn't, I wouldn't have spent a shit-ton of money on an original BW Rattrap.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I bought Animated Wreck-Gar. It's still a good toy, just not excellent.

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, the idea of the thread was to emphasize on the character when the toy itself is pretty lame. For example, say what you want about Runabout and Runamuck, they were Beavis & Butt-Head before Beavis & Butt-Head even existed and I want the toys solely because of that despite they suck.

To a lesser extent, Sky Lynx would probably be a good example...along with a good deal of other Season 3 characters really.

As for the "Awesome toy, lame character", I'd say Star Saber falls square into the definition of this. The toy looks pretty damn awesome but the anime version just makes me want to punch him in the face.

11. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Many times I've purchased transformers simply because I like the character it portrays. If it's an awful figure doesn't really come into the equation at those times.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea I've done it a few times. The figure might not be a very good figure or a very fun figure but there was just something so fun about the character in the cartoon that I wanted some sort of representation of them.

To Hasbro's credit at least they have gotten better at making the toys look like the characters these days. We don't really have the problems of say Rhinox not really looking like his cartoon counterpart, or how some G1 characters looked nothing at all like their toy.

13. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

The best i can think of was universe 2.0 starscream. I say this because i bought acid storm and i usually dont get repaints but i love the original starscream i could not pass it up

14. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Because I kinda liked the character is the only reason that I bought RotF Wheelie.

15. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

ROTF Soundwave. Love the guy, but the toy? :banghead: 

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Pretty much the only reasons I don't buy a figure are because it's unfaithful to the character, or it's just so bad that it overshadows the character it's supposed to represent.

Probably the worst figures of characters I like that I own are Classics Grimlock and Superion, though I can't expect much from a repaint to begin with.

17. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The characters are actually what drives my collection, specifically from the G1 toon.

Any G1/re-issues/Classicvere I pick up, the character most likely appeared in the original 80s toon. So while I'm sure Roadbuster, Whirl, and the deluxe Insecticons are great figs, they're really low on my "to get" list. I also deem "white Prime" to be an unfaithful interpretation of Ultra Magnus, which is why I finally decided to get the Classics (thanks to the City Commander armour) and not the Masterpiece (the only MP I don't have)

18. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Yup. RoTF Soundwave is a great example. I don't the toy, but if that wasn't Soundwave I wouldn't have bought it.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I strictly buy for characters. its why I only own movie cast movie toys.

20. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Character can help a toy become a lot more desirable.

Think how many people like or want the Bludgeon toy, simply based on how the character was in the original G1 comics. The toy of course is pretty poor.