toy storage

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Prowl2000, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So I need to put some of my transformers and gi joes into my basement for storage. They will be stored in rubber toats and many still in their boxes. I'd say roughly 75-85% are reissues or of that age range. My basement is as dry as a basement can be so my question is, to the people who store their transformers like this, do you put anything into the box, like those little packets you get with nice shoes to keep the toys and boxes from getting a musty smell to them?

Thanks,

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd say they'll be fine, but don't hunt me down in a year or so when you go down and they all stink like basement.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better, all my BW stuff has been in cardboard boxes in my basement for 8 or so years. All of them are fine.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I hate the smell but I use mothballs. I think it keeps bugs, humidity and gets rid of smoke-smell. Works pretty good so for. For the last couple of years.

4. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say just check on them regularly to make sure all is well, but, yeah to mirror what Hotspot said, throw some mothballs in for insects and stuff, and for the smell.

5. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

Don't forget to get a de-humidifier!

6. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    yeah I have a de-humidifier. I think I'll just check on them on a regular basis.

7. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    From personal experience, elevate them. I had most of my stuff in boxes in a room in the lower level of my house. Had a pipe break. 37,000 gallons of water went through the lower level of my house. Needless to say, I had a lot of ruined MISB and MIB stuff. Toys were unharmed, but all of my vintage boxes were trash. Now everything get elevated at least a few inches off the floor.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Generally, I have learned that anything you want to preserve should be kept in a stable environment. Keep the relative humidity down to about 40-50%. Keep the temperature down if you can, but stable is more important than low. Check on them periodically.

I'm not keen on the use of mothballs - mothballs produce a toxic gas (which is kinda the idea) and I don't know the properties of said gas, or what reactions it might cause with cardboard or plastic. If it were to produce or encourage oxidation or acidification, you could see damage to your collection.

If yinz need something to control moisture and odor, invest in some calcium chloride pellets. Commercially, CaCl₂is sold as DampRid, but I have read that you can buy it cheaper from a pool/spa supply store or as ice melter (just make sure it's CaCl₂and not NaCl).

You would want to set it up in a way similar to DampRid containers - i.e. put it in a bucket with small holes in the bottom (for water to drip through) and put that bucket inside another bucket to catch the water. You might want to cover the top with perforated plastic or somesuch to keep pets or kids from eating the CaCl₂. If you need cheap/free buckets, ask someone you know that works at a high-volume restaurant - they get pickles and other stuff in buckets that they often throw away.

The advantages to CaCl₂are numerous: it removes moisture from the air (just like those packets someone mentioned earlier), it is flame-retardant, and (best part) it will also keep the pH in the room up (more alkaline). Acidic environments destroy things.

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Due to lack of space in my new living arrangement, most of my collection is still sitting in cardboard boxxes in the trunk of my car.

It's pretty warm here in TX (though it's getting a lot cooler at night).

How much danger are my toys in?

10. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a pretty harsh environment for toys. Dry heat tends to make packaging plastic very brittle.

The temperature change can also create condensation, which would not be go for carboard packaging, or for metal screws on your toys. Texas, I know firsthand, can have some pretty drastic daily temperature fluctuations, and would be especially dangerous to toys left in your trunk.

If you have nowhere else to put them, and you have several valuable (or potentially valuable) toys, I would find a small, climate-controlled storage space. The'y're all over in Texas, and probably wouldn't cost more than $20-40 for a really small unit (wouldn't take much).

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Great, thanks. :)