toy repair resources

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by whoamidri, Oct 7, 2010.

1. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I've been pondering this for a little while. I have a few figures that are in need of repair (or a more clean repair) and was thinking...
    Why reinvent the wheel figuring out the best way to fix, let's say G1 Hook. Someone somewhere has probably already been down this road as these figures break if you look at them funny.
    Well, my question is this; what resources do you use (other than your own brain) to plan out the best way to fix a figure?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

TFW forums. I just ask.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Just my brain (or here). When I was a kid I fixed things in the stupidest possible manner, mostly using a ton of super glue.

Now that I have some sense (and tools), it's usually not hard to figure out a much better way. Drilling and pinning, build it up with styrene, JB Weld, etc.

4. whoamidri

cool. What kind of pins do you use? In the Hook expample I was thinking of using something similar to all thread to hold the 2 halves of the broken leg together.

Also, does anyone think it would be helpful to start documenting fixes? Sort of like a "how to repair" collection for tranformers?

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Anything small enough. Nails, pushpins, wire, whatever. You just need a small enough drill bit.

The repair you describe sounds like it would need something more substantial than just a "thread" wire. You don't want it to bend.

As for documenting repairs, unless it's something extremely common I don't think it would be worth the time.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  6. whoamidri

I think you might have misunderstood about the "all thread". All thread is like a bolt without the bolthead, just a piece of threaded metal.

I was thinking about trying to put something together for hook since it seems to be a really common problem with that figure. Depends how well the "surgery" turns out

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh, yeah that would work. I think it would be easier to install a straight pin and glue it though - threaded rod sounds like it would be a bitch to install.

8. whoamidri

yeah the reasoning is that it should hold better with the threaded rods. I would also put some sort of yet to be indentified adhesive to help it hold. But I am still just thinking about it at this point.