Toy Recalls Driving Up Toy Prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Deefuzz, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :peoples: 

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    ......my wallet's dyeing as is......it won't last much longer at this rate.

4. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Up to 10 percent" doesn't sound all that threatening to me.

Plus, maybe Hasbro won't be affected. They haven't had any lead-related recalls. The only recalls they've had this year have been on Easy-Bake Ovens. Heck, cpsc.gov only lists 14 recalls for Hasbro since 1988. Maybe their safety practices are already better than others.

Even if TF prices do go up a bit, though, we've been pretty lucky on that front. Deluxes, for example, have been $10 for, what, 11 years?

5. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well, so long as Canadian prices remain unaffected - they're inflated as is.

6. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Hopefully you're right. I'm broke enough as it is.

7. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, they fuck it all up and the loyal customers get to pay the bill.

Gotta love big business!

The increase might not sound like much, but that's an extra $1 for deluxe, $2 for voyagers and $4 for leader figs. Let's hope we don't get too many supreme class figures cuz those will be an extra $5. And I'm not even counting scout and ultra class.

It adds up quick!

Look at what that mean to the cost of a complete line like Cybertron which was a pretty damn expensive line as it was, now it would cost another $100+

8. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    -10 pts for QC problems. Where I work the different departments foot the bill for QC. This way each one contributes x-amount of dollars from revenue to pay for the QC department since QC generates 0 income revenue as there is no production.

9. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, I honestly don't see many toy prices rising much. The main focus is on toys for younger children that might put the toys in their mouths. The majority of TF toys are either collectibles (from Japan) or meant for kids from ages 6+ if I remember correctly. The only reason I see TF prices going up is if Hasbro decides to raise prices "just because" and use that as an excuse.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    When you start paying $28 for a deluxe I'll feel with you. But you're still far far far from the insane european pricing.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    True that.

12. topnotch97

topnotch97 Lexi Belle fan

the toy companies are the ones who should take the blame, as they're the ones who continue to ship out manufacturing and assembly out of this country. and they thought that they're saving money for outsourcing it overseas doesn't always mean the product will be good.

and what could possible benefit them or even us consumers by increasing the prices?!?! NONE!!!!

13. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

10% is a big deal. A deluxe at $10 will now be $11. That's Wal-Mart and Target prices. Find something only at K-Mart and now that $11 toy is $14 or $15. Over the years companies have been moving production overseas because it's cheaper than the US and their QC standards. Now these companies are going to see what their shortcuts in workforce and costs provided in recalled products. But as stated above, it's the consumer who will pay up.

14. The_Virus

The_Virus addicted to addiction

Wow. While it's still driving up prices, I think we can all agree that we are happy that none of our damn 08 BB's have lead paint stripes:poke 

15. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

The toy companies are struggling and complaining about video games taking over. This is going to help.

16. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Why should the consumers pay for corporate errors? The toy companies are the ones outsourcing to China and taking away American jobs, just to make obscene profits. They have some nerve to be asking for a price increase when they already make 1000% profit or even more.

17. DavAnthony

DavAnthony Well-Known Member

I love it, the toy corporations get either caught cutting corners or doing something illegal and WE have to pay more to bail them out. Hows about the Corp execs who are already making way too much money as it is shave 10% off of their salaries. I'm sure that would more then cover the costs and also give them a wake up to be more responsible in the future.

18. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I posted this over in the Toyark last night but was thinking of posting in News. As for the price increase the recall is not the only factor in this. Some other factors listed in the article are higher resin costs, electronics, and higher wages for a shrinking labor force in the southern region of China. The new tests only add to that. I don't think this will just be an American increase but will probably be world wide to some degree. Sure the other regions may not test as much so that may not be a factor but the resin costs, added electronics in some figures, and higher wages for workers in China will be added to everything regardless of the intended destination.

10% more for toys next year.

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

shouldn't these kinds of issues be the company's responsibility and not the consumer's burden?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  20. C.W. McConvoy

C.W. McConvoy 破壊大帝

If we have to outsource, aren't there other places we can outsource to? I recall TFs being made in other countries in the past. I realize late '80s Hasbro favorite Macau no longer exists, but still.