Toy Question - Smell?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Golobulus, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

Ok, here's the deal. I bought two figures from an Ebay seller. One was Armada Thrust, and another was Energon Tow-Line. Both of them were new in the package, the cards were sealed and the twist ties were tied, etc.

However, both Thrust and Tow-line have a very strong smell... I can't tell if it's the smell of plastic or cigarette smoke, which make little sense since they were both sealed.

The smell is all over, on the boxes, even on the sealed instructions, but it's the toys I'm concerned with

So, can anyone tell me what the hell I'm smelling? It smells awful, and how can I make the smell go away, or will it fade over time?

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Weird. Maybe over time in a smoking home caused the plastic the breakdown and let the smoke in.

Reminds me of a time I received a box full of gen1 toys from a home that stunk worse than a litter box

3. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Ive gotten sealed toys from overseas and the styrofoam seems to have a rank tinge o' arse.

4. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

I don't remember this smell when I opened toys when Energon or Armada were the current toylines, so I'm fairly certain it's smoke.

How do I get rid of this damn smell, and should I worry about the smell spreading to my other toys by the smelly toys being on the same shelf?

Damnit, smokers disgust me

5. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Hmm...you can try setting the figure outside for a day or two...

Or you can try baking soda which has very strong odor eating properties...get a bowl/container with a lid big enough to hold the figure...cover the bottom with baking soda then carefully place the TF on top then seal the lid...let it marinade for 24 hours...repeat with fresh baking soda if necessary...

6. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    i bought a blythe doll off ebay and when it arrived it reeked of moth balls! a friend of mine who does book conservation said to get strong odors out of moldy books, she will place them in a sealed tuperware container with kitty litter. it absorbs the smell pretty well, and worked on the doll too.

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I have never heard of toys picking up odors from their previous houses until I posted on these boards. I can believe it can happen though.

The only thing I have ever noticed is all my reissue G1 Cars have a distinct smell to them. I remember it from when I was a kid. It must me a combination of the plastic, die cast and rubber. But it really takes me back. My wife does give me strange looks though when I take Jazz out his box and give him a good wiff.

8. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

The smell of fresh plastic is actually a chemical breakdown and is really bad for you; stop that RIGHT NOW. :lol  But the Tupperware thing is supposed to do wonders for action figures which have been exposed to foul odors. Plastic absorbs odor rather readily, so by placing the foul-smelling toy in a fresh Tupperware container, you're transferring its odor into the Tupperware. Only problem is, now you've got a stinky Tupperware dish. What to do? Well, I suppose you could use it to take a dinner to your in-laws' house, but that's not likely to improve your relations with them...

Matt

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Just out of curiousity, did the seller ship them to you packed in/with any type of styrofoam?

Certain types of styro stink really bad. I manage a bookstore and there's one particular vendor I get product shipments from that has fragile gift product packed in styro that I swear smells like someone peed on it. When we first unpack the stuff, for the first couple weeks if you get within a couple feet of the product it smells like a public restroom.

10. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

If the smokers are bad I mean real bad like not having any kind of ventalation, the smoke will get through anything I have noticed. I have family that are like this and it sucks at X-mus for this reson, every gift we get reeks of smoke, and I have notice it to go into the plastic of the package.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never had this problem with smells, but it's good reading all the tips. :D 

12. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

No, they were shipped with old newspapers cushioning them

I've stopped smelling them

But how do you figure they're FRESH plastic? The toys are two and three years old, respectively

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Hmm... how "old" were the newspapers, exactly? Or it could have also been that some moisture got into the papers before shipping. That would definitely cause a little stink when the box was opened later.

Was it a musty old attic-type smell? If so, I'd say there's your stink. Those things might have been packed up in storage for a while, and attic odor can creep into anything, trust me. And if they were stored in a non-climate-controlled environment like a shed or garage they might also get that smell over time.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had an E.T. with a beer pvc (yea, lets see that get produced today) when I was a kid and somehow it took on the smell of my sisters Strawberry Shortcake. I wish I could find that thing now.

15. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

I spoke with my father and he said it smelled like the factory he used to work at when he was a supervisor of a Fisher Price Factory, so I think it's a plastic smell, but it has a foul smell that could be smoke, I suppose.

It doesn't have the musty smell of an attic though

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Oh well. I tried.

Too bad you can't digitize a smell and link it here. I've always had a knack for ID'ing smells. Guess it comes with having a big schnaz.

17. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe they used the newspapers that they had put down for their new puppy to poop on. That would explain it.

The baking soda and kitty litter ideas sound like they're worth a shot.

18. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

Most plastics aren't actually airtight, especially over time; leave soda pop in a 2-liter bottle for a while and it'll eventually go flat.

For that matter, that cardboard isn't airtight either.

19. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I collect oddities so I ALWAYS get an old item from 84-86 and just go, WOW. The stench on some of that stuff is amazing. My poor spare bedroom which stores my collection now has this nice, musty attic smell to it. :lol  Been trying to freshen it up with air fresheners, but that seems to make the smell that much weirder. There was one time where I actually put up a sleep tent from 85 to see what it looked like and left it on the bed for days. Man, talk about a weird funk. :lol 

20. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I'm trying to get rid of the coffee stench from a large tupperware so I can store my Minicons and Micromasters by using a fabric softener sheet. I haven't checked it in a couple of days and if the coffee smell is still present, I may try the baking soda method.

Great thread by the way :thumb