Toy Prices at Botcon vs. Ebay/Online Shops ...

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by FortressMaximus1976, Jun 25, 2007.

1. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw a similiar thread to this, but I didn't see a concrete answer, not that there necessarily is one, but anyway..

I was curious how the prices for stuff, no matter the series, whether its G1, or Alternators, or Masterpiece..How do these prices compare or stand up to whats available online & Ebay?

More expensive, or about the same? My thinking tells me that the dealers go based on the price scale that I imagine Ebay sellers works from, they compare to what others are charging for similiar or the same item. But I would imagine there is the "your at Botcon, and you can have some rare toys are you direct disposle without waiting, sorta of like a 'convience of having it now' charge, thus charging even a bit more than online. I've heard some of that happens, as it does with anything else of course.

Any views from past attendees?

2. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a past attendee, but I've heard that some dealers will charge a bit more than Ebay. I'd suggest making a wish list and checking the prices out on Ebay so that you don't over pay for something. I wouldn't want to spend $50 for a figure I could have bought on Ebay for $20, even if it's the convenience of getting it right then. I'm looking forward to seeing the dealer room, and the panels, and the guests... well I'm excited to see everything. Like you this will be my first Botcon. Perhaps I'll see you there.

3. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

I have not been in 2 years, but it was on par with ebay and online stores. Of course some stuff is more, and some stuff is cheaper. I'm going to say it- Avoid the British dealers, but once you see their prices you will anyway. One thing that sort of irked me was that some stuff was high in price at certain dealers and it was justified by saying they incorporate sales tax into the asking price. Way more than, lets say, than 6%. Another thing to look out for is a HOT ITEM at the show. As supply dwindles, dealers raise the price. I guarantee, 100%, that Masterpiece Megatron will be this way, as well as the blue windowed Japanese movie Bumblebee. Bottom line: It's the same.

4. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, the British dealers...I kinda expected them to be more. I'm wondering if thats partially due to the travel they have to make, but maybe also they paid more for some of their stuff, especially if its stuff that originally came from the US, or it is a european piece and they figure, "hey, its an import, pay up!" lol Who knows, but thanks for the tip.

The sales tax thing...I really think thats a grey area. Don't these dealers have to charge sales tax at these things and state officials have been known to go undercover to see if they are doing things properly? I can understand also that you may come across dealers who will jack the price up to whatever they want and "create a reason", but by and large, I alwasy thought they had to follow the tax laws of the state they are working in. I know dealers typically work the tax into the price of the item..but I would imagine there's MANY times where they inflate it, and pocket it..

Well, I'll defintely check Ebay and make a list of some things. Thanks

5. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    yeah I'd hate to overpay for tit UM but everywhere I look he is at least 40. I just want to grab fallen and cheetor for about 20 each