Toy Price increase patterns?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When a toy gets out of production, is there a general pattern as to how much the price increases yearly? (or even monthly?) When would be the cut-off point (when it gets too expensive) for buying an expensive out-of-production toy?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    not really any set pattern for all toys due to a number of factors that will vary for each :

1. rarity ----how many of a toy was made obviously there are more deluxes made than leader class ( I think)

2. desirability --- if its not anything any one wants its not gonna be worth much

3. availability on the secondary market------- good ol supply and demand if there more for sale than people buying them the price will be low but if demand is greater than supply prices go up

4. the Unpredictable ------- an event that cause a shift in price that isn't foreseen at the time the toy goes out of production.

example:
    the encore re-issues some have claimed they have caused slight drops in prices for real G1s of the same mold .

A better example:
    The Commander armor sets, the prices for the classics voyager Prime mold and its repaints sky rocketed after the came out ( and probably started when the first was released) if not for that armor the prices would not likely be nearly so high

3. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    5. Popularity, both in the show, comic, and of course children's perspective. It's not just adult collectors that drive up the market. I know this kinda goes hand in hand with number 2 but somewhat different.

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about for the Masterpiece figures, like Megs, Prime and Starscream? If I buy them late next year, will they be double or triple the price? (Or worse, unavailable?!?!)

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    never know, there will be some, but the prices we cannot predict

6. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Exactly, if you could predict what is going to be worth more and what is worth less I would suggest you turn your astute ability towards the stock market and clean up!!!

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    popularity goes hand in hand with desirability to me , but your correct, although Kids unless they grow into fullon collectors can quickly lose interest in a line after the TV series or movie goes away and Brr icy i agree with you as well as for the MP line the only thing that can be known for sure is the the Takara releases will always be worth more than the Hasbro ones

8. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably not. At one time when MP-02 and MP-04 were out of production the price of them doubled. $200 for Ultra Magnus and $400 for Prime w/ trailer. I probably should have sold my 1st release MP-04 at that time.

9. shigeoj24

shigeoj24 Well-Known Member

Supply and demand.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I paid $45 for a complete voyager Classics Prime.
    But i am having trouble finding a Classics Rodimus at even that price.
    *average prices on Ebay from U.S. sellers is about $50-$60.*

So i would think it is desirability and availability.

11. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I can't justify buying MP Grimmy for a near $160- when the U.S. will get one in 2010. I would have suspect the MP-08 Grimmy to drop because of the U.S. release.