Toy Photography ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I was wondering how some of you get these amazingly clear shots with white backgrounds.

How do you set up?
    What do you do for lighting?
    Do you use a Light Box?

Pics of your lighting setup would be appreciated!
    Any other tips are welcome as well :thumb 

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I'm just wondering what type of digital camera I should get. I'm not fond of Kodak, what I've been using, looking for a good Canon. Any suggestions on a good digital camera?

3. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

it's all about the lighting.

some people buy or make light tents but the light isn't strong enough or diffused enough so the pictures don't look good.

and two little hints is to use a tripod or a stand if you have shaky hands...i just take 4-5 pictures and choose the sharpest ones. and i see a lot of people taking blurry closeups.....every digital camera nowadays has a "macro" function which makes for sexy closeups.

ignore megapixels and even SLR cameras, you can get really good shot with even a 1.3 megapixel blocky-ass camera as long as the lighting is good and you know a little about the basics of photography.

i use a collapsible light tent from ebay for $20 and two FIVE HUNDRED watt halogen lamps on each side from home depot, $15 ea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

For a camera I would recommend a Canon or Nikon. Right now all I have is a Fujifilm Z10. But the next camera I buy will be a Canon or Nikon digital SLR. I think most of the people who have the really nice clear pics on a solid background are using light boxes. You'll also want to make sure you're using a macro. If you're using a regular compact camera it'll be the button with a flower. If you're using an SLR you'll need a macro lense. You'll also want to use different ISO settings for different lighting conditions. A tripod will help a LOT too.

Slower shutter speeds are harder to get clear images without a tripod or something solid to hold the camera as still as possible. Slower shutter speeds allow more light in for lower light conditions, but also keep the shutter open longer which is why it needs to be as still as possible. Otherwise you'll get a blurry image. Faster shutter speeds are for brighter conditions and you don't have to worry as much about keeping the camera absolutely still. Though a tripod is always best to use.

Basically good photography is about good focus, good lighting conditions and shutter speeds, stability of the camera, and the composition of the image itself. There's also a lot more you can do with photography, I'm still learning a lot myself. I haven't taken any classes just kinda learning on my own. I'm hoping to get an SLR soon-ish. they're expensive, but there's so much more you can do with them.

5. msterling21

msterling21 Well-Known Member

Got a link of the light tent you bought? I bought a light box on ebay for $35 and it sucks ass.

6. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Added to the first post: "Pics of your lighting setup would be appreciated!"

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

1. Timer or remote trigger for your camera. Shutter delay on cameras that have it. With a tripod, these can make your camera perfectly still at the moment of the actual shot, all aiding in better focus.

2. Lighting. I use three 250 Watters and a light tent. One on top facing slightly forward, one on each side. All pointed diagonally towards the back of the light tent to push more light towards the surfaces the camera is going to pick up.

3. Know your camera. Even really inexpensive point-and-shoot cameras can take a good quality shot if you give them a chance. Learn things beyond full-auto. White-balance, shutter speed, aperature, focus, zoom, learn how to do manual adjustments. If your camera doesn't allow manual adjustment of all functions, learn to work with the adjustments you do have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When in doubt, add more light. You can never have too much if you're going for the crisp background/complete white-out pics. As far as the background itself? Posterboard, leaned against something to create a gradual slope from horizontal to verticle. No seam.

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Personally I don't care for white backgrounds all that much, as you often have to use Photoshop to get the desired results, and it also often results in washed out colors. You can use less light with longer exposures for great atmosphere.

I say give colored backgrounds a try. :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My current setup:

(1) 19.5" Cube Light Tent
    (2) 100 watt fluorescent lights
    (1) Paper backdrop
    (1) Digital Camera
    (1) Photoshop CS3

You can see results in my signature. I'm with GogDog; color/textured backgrounds will give your photos more character and less need to Photoshop the white backgrounds to oblivion.

However, I would say that white backgrounds are much better for documentation.

10. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    for the white backgrounds, the most important things to have are:

1) the "white balance" set right on your camera. You can Google how to do this, there are a couple different ways to do it. most cameras have an auto WB feature that takes a snapshot of your background, and adjusts it automatically. This will drastically decrease the need to over enhance it in Photoshop, which, as Gog said, washes out a lot of detail.

2) plenty of natural light (no flash), but not so much that you can see the reflection of the bulbs on the toys. I use left, right, front, and top to try to eliminate shadows, and have no need to brighten and contrast my pics.

3) a Tripod is highly recommended, I would also recommend holding your breath for a second right before you take the picture for best results.

If your camera can accommodate a remote trigger, they are very cheap, and you can get some really great results, a lot of them have the option to hold the shutter open as long as you want. While that isn't really necessary for toys, it is a great feature to have, especially for outdoor night shots.

I use the white backgrounds for the Galleries I do here, but I prefer a colored or dark background for almost everything else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with this sentiment. I spent years persuing the perfect white background shot. Figured out how to do it, realized there are literally HUNDREDS of people doing the same thing, and got bored with it.

It's fun to do, to be sure. But can get very boring after taking shot after shot after shot of white backgrounds.

12. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
  13. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    My lightbox I made from a cardboard box and put tissue paper over the 3 sides. Cheap and highly effective. My setup goes as follows:

1. Canon Digital Rebel Eos
    2. Tripod
    3. Wireless remote control for the camera
    4. Desk lamp from Target - 3 of them (one on each side and one from the top)
    5. The bulbs I use are Energy Saving Natural Brite White Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb I got from Home Depot
    6. Backgrounds are different colored cardboard from a craft supply store.

Here are some samples from using my setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bruticus11

Bruticus11 White Elephant Hunter

Ebay:
    Canon rebel T1 15mp
    2 second timer
    tripod
    no flash
    white paper

Attached Files:

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Damn, that is almost exactly my setup! Homemade box, same camera, remote, Target lights and all! Awesome! :lol 

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great advice and awesome photos all around! I've got nothing to add....

17. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    tripod + self-timer + macro mode.

you may also want to use a small soft brush to remove any dust from your toys, they show in extreme close ups.

18. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

Clean desk, Macro mode+manual mode and lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not use photoshop on any of my photos.

19. startah

startah Well-Known Member

my setup is simple

1. Color Cardboard Usually (Black) i like black
    2. 10watts Florescent Light Bulbs in you local hardware shop
    3. Camera my old Kodack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

My setup is probably the same as others.

light box/tent - mine is homemade using PVC pipe, tissue paper, poster board for the backing/ground. The lighting is just two 100w-intensity fluorescent bulbs and some other random clamp light I had sitting around.

camera - I have a Canon powershot A560. I think it was around $130 when I bought it. It's nothing fancy but it has a macro mode and timer. I put it in manual mode, adjust the color to tungsten (to offset the yellowish fluorescent lights I use) and adjust the brightness up a bit within the camera itself.

tripod - one of the little bendy ones that sits on the table, not on the floor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]