Toy Nostalgia - Post Some of YOUR Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    So I was thinking a little about our hobby, and how a lot of us who have been with Transformers for quite some time (which is a GREAT many of us, of course!) are here because of nostalgia. Yes, in a very general sense, most of us are nostalgic for the fiction and the characters that made us happy; the toys, of course, are the representations of this to a great extent. Now, before you write this thread off as stating the obvious to an extent, allow me to share with you a few of my own thoughts.

A vast amount of my collection is nostalgic for me because of a particular story associated with the very particular toy. Among a thousand copies of the same toy doesn't hold the same nostalgia that THIS toy may have. It's my pleasure to share with you an example of this.

My G1 Wheeljack. In this thread (albeit amid a few jokes), I shared among this story in regards to this figure:

I've was meticulous as a kid with my TFs and their accessories. Up until a couple years ago, Wheeljack's spoiler was the only part I was missing from it. Don't let this photo fool you there, as his parts are simply off camera:

[​IMG]

In celebration of regaining the spoiler, I purchased a set of reproduction labels:

You'll notice that I didn't touch up the paint. Admittedly, this omission was simply due to forgetfulness due to my sheer excitement. Another reason was that I just couldn't bring myself to repair the paint scrapes.

So, yeah, this figure has quite a history for me. Some of my other G1 figures don't so much. I can't say that I like Wheeljack's toy any better than say G1 Sixshot. With the myriad of threads of "who's your favorite Xwhatever", I rarely pick favorites. I'm simply a fan of what I'm a fan of. We get to have our cake and eat it too, so to speak here :) 

Another form of nostalgia I have is associated with the many friends I've made over the years here. A particular figure will come with my own sentimentality simply because it was an assist or a gift from a dear friend. The cash value of the figure could be dimes or hundreds - this is something that matters less to me than the thoughtfulness of whoever helped me out.

TFCon Powered Commander:

[​IMG]

I'll go right ahead and apologize for the lack-luster photo here. I was fiddling around with some bots one night and just decided to take some quick shots. What's important here is while I am a fan of Powered Convoy, this exclusive means a lot to me. When it was announced I was super-excited and a bit saddened at the same time. CLASSICS POWERED CONVOY? YEAH! Then I realized that I wouldn't be able to attend TFCon that year. Nearly instantly I got a message from plowking sharing the news with me. I contacted Super_Megatron to make arrangements to get this figure, and plowking was generous enough to help secure it at the convention and ship it to me. While I was upset with Fansproject for the move of later releasing the kit, the TFCon exclusive kit is very particular to me because of this story.

. . . . and I could sit here and tell you story after story of my own nostalgia and such. What I wanted to do here is outline particular forms of why I'm sentimental and nostalgic for particular toys on top of being nostalgic for Transformers themselves, notably Generation One since it brings back many of my very fond childhood memories. With that, one last photo:

[​IMG]

(I'm only currently missing the blue Gobot dune buggy, that particular G1 Ratchet is gone as I helped a fellow TFWer out who really wanted a G1 Ratchet, and that actual Optimus Prime in my hand, as that one didn't survive the many battles! Even most of the paperwork survived to still be in my collection today!)

Now I wanna hear from you guys! :D 

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Not nearly as compelling a story, but not long after joining the boards I sold off my Armada Overload. Never imagined how much I actually liked that toy until I didn't have it anymore.

Paid a bit of a premium to re-attain the toy, along with some new others. It's not the same toy, but I don't see myself selling this one off unless I were to drop this hobby entirely or something.

Even made up some fanon, effectively making him my Mini-Con Prime, to include the toy in my namely Classics (via Henkei) G1 cartoon display.

3. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G1 Wheeljack was also a favorite of mine as a kid (he was my first Autobot toy, I dug the sports car alt mode, liked science, and loved the fact that Jackie spoke with a Brooklynese accent since I was born and raised there). Was a sad day when I lost him during a family vacation to Epcot Center, Florida back in the 80's. I keep wishing they'd reissue his G1 figure but seeing how Takara lost the mold, it's a pipe dream.

So here's the next thing, in updated form.

[​IMG]

Hopefully they make a Masterpiece Wheeljack in some way, shape, or form. Can always dream. XD

4. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Cool thread!

I had about 30 G1 toys when I was a kid growing up in the '80s. I could tell you exactly which store I got them from and what happened to each one of them. Rather than bore you with the details of each one of them, here are a few that stand out (at least to me):

G1 Prowl: One day, I was playing with my Prowl on the steps leading up to the upper floor of our house when all of the sudden Prowl fell down and hit the bottom of the steps hard. His windshield broke off and I was pissed. From that point on, whenever I played with Prowl, I always pretended that he got into some epic fight with one of my Decepticons and lost his windshield during the battle. Nonetheless, I vowed that someday I would find the parts to fix his windshield and make him whole once again. Low and behold (and roughly 20 years later), I obtained a "donor" Prowl with an intact windshield and I fixed my Prowl. That was a glorious day! He currently resides on a shelf next to my desk. He is one of the few Transformers from my childhood that I still have (my mom sold most of them at a garage sale) and I will always cherish him.

G1 Grimlock: I wanted a Grimlock toy from the moment I first laid eyes upon him. One day, a buddy of mine called me after school and said that he found a couple of Grimlocks at a local Service Merchandise store. I begged my parents to take me up there and (to my surprise) they agreed to take me to Service Merchandise after we had our dinner. I couldn't wait - the anticipation was killing me - I was about to get my Grimlock! When we got to the store, there were no Grimlocks anywhere - I was devastated. Now I'm not sure that it was the case with all Service Merchandise stores, but ours had a conveyer belt thing that brought out merchandise from the storage area above. I wanted to stay there all night and watch that conveyer belt to see if a box of Grimlocks would come down. They never did. I found out the next day that my parents took me to the wrong Service Merchandise - we had two of them in our town and we went to the wrong one. Months later, I finally found my Grimlock at a different store and my mom agreed to get him for me for Easter. He was totally worth the wait and would go on to become my favorite toy from my childhood. I could go on and on about my Grimlock (like how part of his tail broke off when my older brother threw him across the basement floor), but I guess that those are stories for another time. Grimlock (like my Prowl) survived the great "garage sale purge of 1986" and was eventually fixed. He too sits on a shelf by my desk.

I'm too lazy to take pictures of my Prowl and Grimlock right now, but I'll leave you with a picture of me and my G1 Soundwave (who I also still have to this day - minus the box and paperwork) from Christmas 1984:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Connect four? You got Soundwave? Damn!

6. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Don't feel sorry for my brother - he got Optimus Prime (not pictured).

Oh, and Santa gave my Soundwave box a "flap crease" almost immediatley. :D 

7. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Awesome. Does he still collect as well? Maybe part of the boards too

8. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Nope. He was always more of a Lego guy.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my best i guess would have been when i was at the baby sitters around 5 or 6 years old, he had tons of figures, magnus, soundwave, lots of cassettes, etc. one day a couple years later, i was told to go to the basement and get all of them to take home, i was so stoked

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    For me the madness first started with this figure back in 1996. I remember walking into Toys R Us and seeing this section for of this animal figures. Then I remember about the show I saw one day before school and it hit me that they were related. I saw Cheetor, Dinobot, Rhinox, Rattrap, and several other figures I didn't recall seeing on the show. Then I saw this figure and liked it, guess it was because it reminded me of Halloween, which is close to my birthday.

So BW Armordillo is what led me to the G1 line, RID, UT, Movies, Animated, Prime, ect.

[​IMG]

But out of all the figures from my childhood, I loved these three the most. I still remember getting Razorclaw from Warmart and then finding a different version with a VHS tape and Meijers. I remember getting Snarl at Target on this cloudy day across the Ohio River in Indiana. As much as I loved the first Spittor, I was blown away with the Transmetal Two version of the character. I got that figure as a birthday gift when I turned 13 years old in 1999. Like I said, I loved those figures and I'd would pluck them and Alt Hound out of any figures if my house was on fire. Look at Razorclaw, the figure didn't look like that at first, but I loved it too much to toss away after the gun claw broke. First it was to replace the broken part with the VHS recolored gun claw and then it broke during the Armada line. So I took both figures apart and combined the two, so I could keep one of my all time favorite figures from childhood.

[​IMG]

Alt Hound here, that one was a stuggle to get. I checked every store I could find in the Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky area back in 2003. I had given up hope about finding it and my parents and I were driving towards the Ft. Knox area and it was a cloudy day. We got done doing a few things and saw a Walmart and went there. Went to the toy section and there it was and I finally had it. Flash forward to 2007, we moving out of Indiana for North Carolina in July and I had place Hound in a box. Got to NC and didn't get a house for nearly year, just living in a apartment and well forgot what the box looked like. From late 2008 to early 2012, moved around several times and didn't even see it once while going though boxes. Was stacking boxes in my new place and just happened to open one up and there it was. For me it was like finding out I won the lottery, I was in a state of shock. Now when I go to bed, I have it where I can see it.
    [​IMG]

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My first TF was Mirage, a birthday present from my mom in '84. He was a favored toy for a long time- didn't hurt that he was the guy who won the day in the original MTMTE miniseries. It's one of a very few of my original kid-hood G1 toys I keep on display (as opposed to replaced with reissues/newer/cleaner/updated), with all the scuffs and clumsily repaired broken feet.

Another would be G2 Laser Optimus Prime, purchased from a flea market for $30 around 1996. Op sort of heralded my transition from guy who didn't completely outgrow TF toys to card-carrying collector. Laser Op, along with some Beast wars and other G2 toys, prompted me to ask "When did they start making Trasformer toys this awesome?" compared to the g1 'brick standard'.

12. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

My brother and I got Sideswipe & Sunstreaker at TRU right before we ate at TGI Fridays. Apparently we played with the toys all dinner long and didn't end up eating much :lol 

13. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found out my mom threw out all our toys. Every 6 months or so she would go through our room and throw out stuff.. Little did I know until last year, that she caused a lot of fights between my older brother and me, due to "who" lost our favorite toy, he blamed me and I him, ect. Had we only knew our mother did it...

on that note, I'll leave this here. It was my 7th or 8th birthday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    To the OP. Holy crap dude! I think you an me grew up in the same dam kitchen! Lol. God, our parents had awful taste

15. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that looked like my grandmothers linoleum.
    2 of my faves from childhood were jazz and hot rod.
    My jazz was broken when I left tgem out on my patio and a neighbor kid broke his head off. Hot rod and several others (too many) were traded for jetfire

A lot of my other tfs fell prey to a bored self with a screwdriver...
    How dumb was I?

Sadly due to constant moving when I was a teen none of my G1s stayed with me.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My first TF was Thundercracker. the robot looked kinda ugly at the time, but the CONCEPT, that wowed me.

But getting Omega Supreme as a Christmas present...watching my dad curse as he "assembled" it for me, then hearing him curse at 8 am the next day as i turned O.S. on and let him walk everywhere.

i didn't really feel that kind of spark again until i got my own Alternators Hound.
    He just felt like G1 in the 21rst century should have been. wow.