Toy Maintenance Compilation

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DilaZirK, Nov 21, 2007.

1. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    It recently dawned on me that my toys won't last forever.

Making photocomics means I play with my toys very frequently, and within a short span of only a year, I've already begun to notice some wear. Joints are starting to get real loose, paint is starting to chip, etc.

My question: What active steps can be taken to prolong the life of toys? (Preventive Maintenance for toys, hah!)

Am I doing it wrong:

Dusting - Some blowing, a few swipes with a feather duster, and a small brush (the kind used for cleaning shavers) for the hard-to-reach spots. Am I risking scratches by using that brush?

Screw tightening - Simple enough, put a philips screwdriver to it and give it a few turns. But what about those joints that are just held in place by a small rod? Those will get loose in time, and it's not like I can tighten them...

Ball joint tightening - Nail varnish. But it didn't seem to work for me, after moving around a bit, all the varnish comes off. Maybe I'm not leaving it to dry long enough? (I only left it for ten minutes before popping the joint back in and playing around with it) I would try superglue, but it dries so fast that I don't want to risk doing it wrong.

What else am I missing?

Or maybe I should just buy a spare of my most prized toys? (In case shit happens?)

EDIT: Now with advice

Dusting
    - Above mentioned steps are apparently fine.
    - Compressed air can is also suggested.

Screw tightening
    - Don't screw too tight, plastic might be brittle.
    - Still not sure how to deal with joints that are connected by small rods.

Joint tightening
    - Future floor finish (http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html)
    - Or superglue
    - Or nail polish/varnish

Other notes
    - Obviously, keep toys away from direct sunlight.
    - Fluorescent light is apparently not harmful.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

People recomend me compressed air can for dusting. Other than that I don´t know...

3. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

sounds pretty good. For screwing, make sure not to screw back in too hard, plastic can be brittle around screw holes. I use clear nail polish too, I leave it about 15 mins then put the limb (or whatever) back on but then leave it without moving the joint around for a night. I need 2 light coats usually too.
    I hate dust, and where I live builds it fast so I have cabinets and some smaller plastic cases for displaying.
    Anything too dry/damp/high pressue/hot will do bad things too. I have some sticker peels that I know didn't used to exist so I think the mix of dryness and heat from my central heating does that.

4. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i use crazy glue for my ball joint tightening. just move it around alot while drying so it doesn't get stuck

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    future floor finish for joint tightening. you can just drip it down in there, or pop it off and wipe it in there, and immediately put it back together and walk away. let it sit 24 hrs. its tough as nails (its made for walking on, yo!), and best of all, its acrylic so it won't harm ANYthing.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One can also use transparent nail polish - its safer too! :D 

7. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Bah! I use my LUNGS!

*Huff!* *Puff!*

*Pant* *Pant*

It no work... @_@

Ah, thanks for the heads up on the screw thing.

I'll give it a shot with the nail polish/varnish again.

Does the varnish stay on for long though?

What is this crazy glue you speak of? :confused: 

Ooooh-ness. From where can I acquire this floor finish?

On another note, does direct fluorescent light affect toys the same way direct sunlight does? (Yellowing?)

8. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Super glue. It's a brand-specific name ("Krazy Glue"), but that's basically what it is. And the trick is as mentioned--keep the ball moving in the socket as it dries. It coats the socket without gluing it in place.

9. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    OIC.

For approximately how long do I have to keep it moving though?

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Probably a minute... Maybe less... i haven't fixed any loose joints in a while.

11. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go with the floor finish, great stuff, It's at wallmart I think. If not DIY center for sure.

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yep. Walmart has it in the same place you get carpet cleaner, dusting sprays, etc. a big ass bottle is only like $3 and change, it lasts forever. I've used it to clear coat several customs and I've only gotten to the top of the label.

13. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Sold!

Now...if only there was a Walmart here...

(I suppose I'll check out some DIY stores)

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Doubtful. What causes plastic (any plastic) to change colour from sunlight is the UV (ultra violet) spectrum in the sunlight. UV causes us humies of paler skin tones to tan and burn, in other words it discolour white people and toys. :) D) Prolonged expsoure to high levels of UV is bad for your skin. And indoor lights don't put out much UV. Has to do with the frequency of electricity flowing through the light.

Anyway to avoid UV damage just store your toys away from several daily hours of direct exsposure to sunlight. That way you can avoid the fate of my TM Megatron who's metallic-chrome bits are purple on one side and pink on the other. Or my TM RAttrap who's got flaking chrome. :cry 

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    we tan because the sunlight allows our skin to produce vitamin D which is where we get the color from.

16. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't forget cancer, and I think milk and vitamins cover those categories really well. Not trying to start an argument but I have been told by plenty of doctors not to tan and that you get enough sunlight through daily activity, that and my uncle had skin cancer linked to tanning and he did not do it a lot.

For those that have used the super glue method, how in the hell do you stop the glue from frosting? Is it a certain brand or something?

17. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Seeing as how you live outside of the US, and so do many other members here, I am linking to this awesome article that will help you guys out in finding this stuff. Its sold under different names in different places, and this article gives basic descriptions of what their bottles look like as well as possible substitutes.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

18. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Ngah, sorry to hear about your Megs and Rattrap.

And thanks for the info. *Moves toys FAR away from windows*

Thanks! That really helps, now I know exactly what I'm looking for. :) 

I'll be updating my first post later with all these bits of info on toy upkeeping, in case anyone new to this (like I am) pops in for a look.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

This may seem a bit lateral but you should move them to the same wall as any window(s) in your toy storage room. As the wall that's goona get the least direct sunlght is the one with the window in it. Just not too close to the window. Another option would be to buy (or make) a case with UV treated glass in it. But that would be expensive.

Megatron is the only problem. But he's displayable in beast mode from one side anyway. Rattrap I've since goten the BWX reissue of him.

20. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I have no experience tightening joints, but my Starscream's arms are very loose in the around-the-body rotation plane. Moving his arms so his hands point up and down is tight, but the rotation around the body (such as his transformatoin) is loose as hell. How would it be possible to tighten them up slightly so at least they hold when I pick up the figure and move him?