Toy identification help, please... using the japanese "First Series Complete" book

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rijie78, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Hoping someone out there can help me out with this... On page 123 of the japanese Transformers - First Series Complete reference book, there's a wide green box in the lower half of the page, with various TF merchandise pictured. One of these (the one i'm wondering about) is a small photo of various TFs, mainly red, including Bruticus, Convoy, Blitzwing & Red Alert in bot modes, and Reflector, Megs, Ultra Magnus, Inferno and others in alt mode. There's various tapebots and combiner team members there too, even a Galvatron, and a little Trypticon in the back row, i think..

I can't read Japanese, sadly. Which subline are these? Why are they all similar colours? They're obviously not the normal toys, I don't think they're TF Jrs, they're not Decoys, they can't be WSTs, and the majority of them certainly look like they ought to transform. Altho' there's nothing to compare against for scale, they somehow look very small (Convoy has a flat moulded chest with no windows, for example). Que?

It's a mystery. Can anyone help, please? Cheers... :) 

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Sorry - it sounds like one of those things which might need a picture to resolve. I thought I had that book kicking about but apparently not out of storage. If you can scan it or something that'd be a help to things. :) 

3. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I'm taking a guess but it shounds like the kabaya models. They are ususally molded in red and gray

4. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Good guess sir; turns out that's what they are. Just googled em, and some of the photos i found here match what's in the book -

Hatch's Super Best Wonderful Kabaya and Seven Transforming Model Kits

They sound pretty awesome what for what they were.

I would have put a scan of the picture in with my original post, but my scanner's actually buggered, very helpful.

Cheers for the help, clears that one up...

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I did think it might be the kits, but then you said Convoy didn't have any chest windows which kinda threw me.

6. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Ah, sorry. It doesn't look like he has cab windows in the photo; but then it's very small. So, you were both on the right track. I'd heard of the model kits, but only ever seen the very small ones - not these slightly larger ones. Not a bad free gift for buying a packet of sweets..

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I do believe the Kabaya kits are still quite frequently found on Ebay if you're interested in 'em.

8. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

yep, you got it!! those are two different kinds of kabaya kits.

the boxes on top of each kind of kit is their corresponding packaging type.

the solid colored ones on the left are "chocolate promo" kits, they are small, about the size of WSTF and came with free chocolate..some of them transformed and others didn't...they cost half as much as the gum kits on the right which came in 3 colors.

the ones on the right are the ones that have been recently bootlegged in china and USED to be all over ebay before they started cracking down on them. these are larger and more complex than the smaller chocolate kits. toyhell now has the old stock that was left over from a certain person's ebay store =D the blaster and headmaster kits are pretty damn incredible.

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I love these kits, building your own TF's is great fun. I got a few from that 'certain person' before he shifted them all, toyhell jacked up the price of them quite a bit.

The original G1 kits turn up on ebay occasionally, they're usually already built though, and can be pretty pricey.