Toy digital archive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by iDarkDesign, Jan 1, 2009.

1. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Hi, I used to archive all my transformers toys in a word-document. Though through an unfortunate mishap I lost three hard drives over a three week span and with it my archive. Now you got to understand my collection holds over 1000 maybe even 1500 items. (So it will take some effort to re-archive it all).

Like I said I used to update a word document. I used this formatting:

FACTION
    SERIES
    name - subgroup/ number - complete/ missing parts - giftset/ special edition
    - partner

Additionally I would give the name a color for the year I had bought it in. (since 1999).

Now because I'm standing in front of the task of having to archive all the figures again (and checking for all the parts) I want to do this right. I know there are some very good options for lists of this sort in excel but I have no knowledge of how to make these lists. Does anyone have something of the likes that I could use to start archiving my toys in a very professional manner?

please drop me a pm or an email! I would very much appreciate it!

cheers.

iDD

2. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I assume your HDs can't be recovered at all - y'know, Geek Squad? Nerd Herd?

That said, the best choice is not a spreadsheet - it's a database. Microsoft Access (if you have it), OpenOffice.org Base (open-source and free)...hell, there might be software for the purpose of cataloging toys (it's not really archiving them) - look at VersionTracker.

3. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I created a catalog of my Guitar magazines using Excel starting way back around 1998 or so. I've been pretty happy with it, although I am about a year behind in cataloging the monthly issues I've been getting. This would probably present the same problem that you encountered with having your HDD's crash and just loosing the file. I have it backed up on my soon-to-be HTPC on a RAID array so I am a lot more comfortable with knowing it'll be recoverable in a situation where something happens. And really, if the place burns down, all my mags are going with it anyways.