Non-TF: Toy design- (HELP FROM MODELERS NEEDED)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TedimusPrime, Mar 23, 2012.

1. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Part Time Toy Designer

I'm currently learning Autocad, which I believe is compatible with shapeways. Sorry for the crappy scan- I even used pen and I'll try to get a better picture soon.

Anyways- I want to make the kind of robots that I use in a lot of my art. I just wanted to make sure my plans were possible before I started doing it.

[​IMG]

and yes- I know the difference between males and females.

Attached Files:

2. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    what exactly you want to make?
    i know, the robot in the images, but, just that skelleton? if it is so, then you have to remake the joints to be a bit bigger if you dont, it would be somehow fragile with that proportions

3. TedimusPrime

Is there perhaps some better way I could do the joints? I'm trying to think-
    but yea, just the robot- probably 6 inch high or so.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hmm...at 6 inches....those joints wouldn't work. Actually, at any scale, those joints wouldn't work. Shapeways plastic just isn't made for that sort of joint. Try checking out some of the other designs floating around these boards, they all use similar joint systems for a reason.

5. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    actually you should re-scale the joints and the thickness of the limbs to 2.5 the actual size
    that should work for the joints not be so small, and the limbs being proportionate to that without being to far for the original design, then you should do the body empty and the rounded parts of the joints actually more angular, the feet should be bigger too, that should fix the weight and stability issue
    then when done, you can add the details finally when uploaded to shapeways if done correctly you shouldnt have problems, but, i dont know about the file format, since i use sketchup, then import to collada, trepair and finally export to stl to upload, and only if i do the repair correctly the model uploads correctly soy in that case you have to try looking at shapeways forums for tutorials for tour file format, i hope this helps

6. TedimusPrime

Hmm- see how the joints were designed as female and male pegs? What if I still kept the female and male pegs but merged joint into the arms as simple joints?

7. TedimusPrime

and if I made the feet, shoulders, thigh, and hand joints on a ball rather then the current system.

8. Treadshot A1

Your pegs, scaled as f-primusunicron said, will still fail. They might plug in tightly the first time, but short of being used as a statue, those joints won't last long. That, and if you're not careful, you might end up just breaking the peg instead of rotating a limb. The shapeways material just doesn't handle being twisted very well.

9. TedimusPrime

Ok, so that's why everyone uses balljoints then I suppose, right?
    Fakebuster uses a sort of clip for his fingers, I've noticed, as well as slight bumps and grooves for joints. I feel like I can rework said joints into balljoints and maybe clips in other places. Thoughts?

10. Treadshot A1

Clips work, and both Fakebusker and i have designed things using them. They do need a bit of work to get right, though. I know for mine i had to calculate how large each clip had to be relative to its opening to allow the material to flex, and that took a few failed attempts before i got it right.

I've tried slight bumps and grooves, and while i can see Fakebusker using them, i only use them when nothing else would work. I far prefer using other joints, as bumps and grooves don't offer much strength to a joint. That said, there are applications where they work. But don't expect too much from them, especially on a 6 inch robot.

In the end, you'll need to do some experimenting on your own. Each design will require its own unique jointing system, so all we can do is just show you things that have worked to get you thinking about what would work for you.

11. TedimusPrime

Ok thanks, it really has me thinking now. It sounds silly but the thinness of the robot is rather iconic to me, however I think if I work with balljoints I can start to work around that problem. I just want to make a representation of this character since it has so much importance to me.

example
    Tedimus's deviantART Gallery

12. Treadshot A1

Well if it's just a representation of the character, then use the joints you originally suggested. They'll likely assemble correctly, it's just they might not hold up to being constantly moved. Fakebusker and I focus on designing either transforming or articulated objects, so we need other joints. But it doesn't sound like you'll need it.