Toy collecting is more addiciting than crack!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Batman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have never tried crack nor will I ever. I used to smoke (cigarettes) though and I quit that, and from what I hear smoking is more addictive than heroin. I however do not think I could give up buying toys. I probably could have paid off my student loan by now, or bought a car, or have tons of extra space in my apartment, but I don't care, I just want more toys. Every time I buy 1 thing, I find 10 more I want. The longest I have gone without buying toys is like a month, and only because my pug Rocky Balboa needed a $1500 surgery. Are there any other addicts out there?

Is any collection ever complete?

My name is Busta Jesse and I am an action figure addict. The last time I used was less than 24 hours ago when I purchased alternators Sunstreaker.

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am giving up smoking for the toy money, been a month or so now. Bought an expensive toy with the money I would save already :lol 

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not really, unless you say it is. I know how you feel and 2007 is starting to feel like an overdose of plastic TF crack. My last acquire, Sunday 4 March, the Target Magnus/Skywarp and some TRU TF LOCs. Last TF purchase, yesterday 5 March, from Amazon, The Transformers: Infiltration Manga.

Anyway, 2006/7 is showing me I really don't have to be a completist. There's so much stuff, if you don't like it, you really don't have to put up with it and buy it. I try to ask, "Will this make me happy?" MP Starscream didn't, Kiss Play for the most part doesn't. So, this leads back to the first part of this.

It's complete when you say so.

Edit: BTW, I hope to never stop collecting. Been at it over 20 years now.:wink: 

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm never Smoking and Because of that I'm Buying tf's with the money I could of used for Smokes but I Say HELL NO

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Truer words have not been spoken. I am going through the completist dilemma right now with BT-17. I have every single BT release, even all the smokescreen variants, however I can not see paying over $200+ dollars for the Ram mold, which I already have FOUR of. 2 primes and 2 nemesis primes. Even though it is numbered in the line, I really can dismiss buying for the simple fact that it was an exclusive to japan and not part of the retail releases, plus like backscatter said. I say my BTs are complete because in all honesty, the ram mold was hardly worth the $20 i paid for both primes at reatail , and def not worth the 100 for both the NPs. It's a so so figure, no way am I using my MP Megatron money on something, in reality, I already have.

6. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

i literally started collecting again about three or so weeks ago and since then i've bought 22 figures, most of which are bt, some alts, g1 prowl, sideswipe, and magnus, some classics, movie ratchet, some titaniums, mp starscream and prime, preorders rumble, megatron, and tit magnus.

i agree it's extremely addictive, especially buying online, there's nothing better than going downstairs, looking out the front door and seeing a package on the patio, especially when you've made multiple orders cause then you don't know which it could be. i love it.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From now until the Transformers movie comes out I am only going to buy the following things:

Alternators
    Prowl
    Shockblast
    Wheeljack
    Ravage
    Rumble
    Nemesis Prime

and finally

MP-05 Megatron

If any one has any of those Alts for sale let me know.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And thank [Rule #10] for that. Well, 2006 not so much, but I'm definitely not going to be feeling the completist drive this year. FABs will be determined on a individual basis, and peripheral stuff like the Robot Heroes and all the tie-in merchandise will probably get left behind.

I've been an online-only shopper for a while, but I might get back into bargain hunting the clearance bins. I'll offset the smooth, heroin-like high of completionism for the sudden, cocaine-like rush of a great deal.

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I had no trouble tempering my collecting habits when I decided to tone it down. When I did a rough tally of the number of figures I used to have and how much they cost me, it was a splash of cold water. I went online, found a buyer for the whole lot of them and shipped them off. I limit myself to Alternators and honestly, I'll breathe a big sigh of relief when Rumble is in hand and my collection is as up to date as I could hope.

I don't know why I was so compelled to buy so many toys in the past. Inertia maybe. As soon as I had a new one I was scouting around for another. In retrospect, it was financially wasteful.

10. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    My Transformers serve a very useful purpose. They have for the last few years kept me from killing people at work. Y'see, I used to work in phone tech support...

... Ah, I see I need not say more. Well, anyway, I would normally bring in a number of Transformers proportional to my need for bloody vengeance against stupid people.

... So, a lot.

Seriously though, aside from some truly exceptional repaints, I don't see the reason to own more that one of a particular mold, with the exception of Seekers and the occasional troopbuilding (Always in threes). If I know I won't like a mold, I simply won't get it. If I'm not sure, I give it the benefit of the doubt.

I mostly stick to the stuff I can get at the local TRU or Wal Mart. I've never felt the urge to do major importing from Japan, or to collect the eleventy-billion Optimus Prime figures and variants they have. Yes Revoltech Optimus is cool. Yes Hybrid Convoy is cool. Do I need to spend $80-$100 on them? No. I get just as much satisfaction out of a $14.99 Classic from TRU, thanks.

I've broken this rule a couple of times for Grails. The Predaking gift-set, Fortress Maximus (RiD version), Reissue G1 Megatron... but these are rare, and almost unheard of nowadays.

As for what I do with them? I've got display shelves set up, though I lack the space to really do it properly, and when I do have space, occasionally I'll set up a diorama. That, and I have delusions of one day doing a Photocomic :p 

11. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

why not get binaltech shockblast, and wheeljack, they're much better, and why not get binaltech blue prowl, and binaltech alert, and police prowl, then get the reprolabels to make alert into prowl and prowl into alert. at least that's what i did and it's awesome.

12. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

This guy would completely agree with you.

13. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. I get the shakes when a new Transformer is released. It doesn't go away until I go from store to store and hunt it down.

14. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Timothy - why haven't you come hang out with us on our Philly meets, hmm? :) 

Although I have to admit, going to these has shot my 2nd market purchases through the ROOF.

I've already spent more in these past 2 and a half months than in all of 2005.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess it depends on the definition of complete. I do consider myself a 'completionist', but there are several very specific qualifiers to that.

No Lucky Draws... since I would probably never be able to own them all, I don't even want to start. I also don't want pre-production, unreleased, or unofficial items (protos, stuff like the G2 Stunticons, KOs & bootlegs). Although, if there had been a Motormaster with that last batch of G2 Stunticons that were up, I might have had to make an exception!!

Even so, although I considered my collection 'complete' several years ago, I'm always picking up some subsidiary things... a few Japanese exclusive Micromasters & Decoys, about a half dozen campaign Microns, a couple of TF Juniors, some chase MyClones, a few BW Metals, a couple of the G2 watches, Euro versions of some G2 items... enough to keep me busy and interested. I'm constantly upgrading things in my G1 collection, and gently branching out into the oddities department... just grabbed the G1 train set and race car set, and I've been picking up some model kits and other miscellaneous items off YJ.

But to define "complete"... I have a friend who just has everything from the 1984 catalog - which is what, like 25-28 items? - and he considers his collection complete, so there ya go.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I have been addi...er collecting for 11 years now.

I can't see myself ever stopping....

17. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm always looking for something... every day. Thats an addiction.

18. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Well if you ever want to quite your addiction I can help! I run a clinic to get off the stuff.its simple give me your collection and everytime you get the disire to buy a toy I will slap you w/ a different TF untill you hate them!Backstop is there for any fan in need :) 

19. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

It is quite addicting, the sad thing is, I'm somewhat picky about what I buy, I'm by no means a completist so I only buy toys usually that I really want, I only bought a handful of figures from the Armada and Energon lines. And with the movie coming up, the toys from that have lacked just about any excitement for me, I might pick up one if it really stands out but I can't see myself getting too much since Classics already seem to be over with and once MP Megs arrives, I'm not sure what else, guess I could use that time to catch up on getting some of the Japan G1 stuff like Black Zarak, Overlord, etc.. but I have no desire to stop collecting, I've known transformers since I was 4 and I hope to keep it that way for as long as I live.

20. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Not addicted to any drug substances or anything like that but i do agree, I'm addicted to collecting. I'm stuck in this mind set right now of trying to finish my G1 collect with the movie coming out. But recently, I got some hard to get pieces and am somewhat close to being done. So I should calm down but I'm so set in doing a daily routine of searching for toys that my normal life is gone. But then again, I"m in school, that that also screwed up my normal life too. I sort of regret going to that June meetup now. It opened a giant can of worms.