Toy Cleaning

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rahal Stmin, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    I've pulled some of my older toys out of storage, and they've got some ingrained dust, does anyone have a recommendation for how to achieve a deep cleaning?

2. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    used toothbrush and a toothpaste. careful with the labels and chrome/die cast part though

3. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Air brush

4. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Any tips for cleaning G1 decoys? :) 

5. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Try a dry brush first. Water with only a very tiny amount of dish soap works well also.

Stay away from anything with bleach in it. Bleach causes rust on metal and it will make all your pins and screws rust.

6. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I take the small brush accessorie (can't remember what it is called at the moment) from the vaccum and give them a good vaccuming, then for the nooks and crannies I use mildly damp q-tips and toothbrush. Anyway you look at it, it is a time consuming pursuit.

7. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

i dumped mine in boling water and watched the grime float away......All my transformers were destroyed too, but that doesnt stop the fact that they were clean.

8. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

a softish brush and warm soapy water does the trick. the mild detergent is important to shift any grease the dust is sticking to.

i recently bought an AT ST that fucking stank, so i hosed it with Milton anti-bacterial spray to try and kill off any mildew it was harboring and make it smell better too. it still smells pretty awful though. um. my smelly AT ST may not be relevant to the thread.

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Put your smelly toys in a mesh bag and hang them on the clothesline on a windy, windy day. Try to keep them out of the sun. After a day or 2 of this treatment...no more stink. Oxygen, nature's deodarant.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i use a damp q-tip if it is just dust, haven't cleaned any greasy ones though

11. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Plain ole water, q-tips, a dry brush, plastic dental picks, canned air, and Goo Gone should work for everything.

Go over the toys with a dry brush first - I've found that the car vent brushes at auto parts stores work great for this. Q-tips and water removes more built up dirt. Plastic dental picks can get into the tight spots, and Goo Gone is good for removing stickers and their residue (let it soak for a minute or two then wipe off). Hit the joints with canned air.

Don't use soap, rubbing alcohol, or detergents of any kind. You never know how the chemicals in them will react to the plastics.

It is time consuming, but it's good for a vintage toy. It took me two days to get my G1 Scorponok cleaned to look like new. Don't forget to transform the toy slowly and check out all the "hidden" parts that the transformation process reveals. Clean as you transform it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  12. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Luckily I have not come across any greasy tfs either. If you do I would suggest using lens cleaner for plastic safety glasses, that stuff cuts grease pretty good and I use it on my clear plastic lenses at work with no ill effects to the plastic, it looks like I have no glasses on at all. I will bring some home and try it out on a junker tonight and post the results.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The same works for a bag of cat turds after cleaning out the litter box.

14. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

I mainly just use a hobby brush to clean the dusts or wipe them with clean cloths.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I use a two inch paint brush to brush off dust. As long as you've not exposed figures to both dust and damp then it's easy to keep them clean, even after months of dust collecting. If they've been in the damp as well then the dust can sorta weld itself to the figure and then it's a bummer to have to clean.