Toy Addiction!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Drew, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Does anyone other than myself feel like their collecting is an addiction? I mean, I love collecting Transformers, I have for a long time, but I was also born in 86, easily behind the runs of Transformers and GI Joe on television, and basically became a fan of the toys first, and characters second.
    What I am saying is that I kind of feel enslaved by my hunger for kick ass toys. What started this summer as a sort of kick to get the Transformers movie toys has bled into a huge desire to get the 25th Joes, and basically, I have no real ties to the characters of GI Joe, just that I inherited a ton of figures in my youth and have since lost them.
    I guess I am longwinded, but I just want to close by saying, does anyone feel a sense of monetary stress because of their collecting, yet totally or near totally ignore this? Sometimes I wonder if this hobby is gonna bite me financially down the road, but still, its just WAY TOO FUN!!!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I thought I was getting addicted to TFs, but then I just suddenly stopped buying anything from the cybertron line, I got all the mainline classics as fast as I possibly could, got most of the movie figures in a period of a single week (got all wave 1 deluxes before the line hit stores), but then suddenly stopped before getting ratchet, blackout, and megatron, and havent been looking for TFs since. I also never bothered to get any of the bubble-boxed alternator repaints aside from nemesis prime.

its strange. there are many figures I really, really want, but I just have no desire to actually go and get them.

I'm hopefully getting all four of the encore reissues though, and that will probably send me on a G1 kick for a while until animated and universe start up.

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I get what your saying, I basically go through seasonal binges, like for the Star Wars ep.3 line that was my final collecting binge for the Star Wars line ever. I stared looking for the Classics series late, after skipping almost all of the UT lines except for about four Armada figures, but went gangbusters just before the movie to get all but CC BB. Usually I stop buying things around late August because I go back to college, and rarely have the cash or the drive to do anything other than homework, sleeping, and some drinking.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I've gotten most of the Mp's, almost all of the alt's almost all of classics. Most of the 25th Gi Joe's a crap load of Marvel legends and Dc Direct figures, Several Sideshow and Medicom Toys, Wst's, Beast War, Cy Girls, and more. I have boxes of toys in my closet that I'm not displaying. Then I have a large comic collection(spend at least 20 a week) and lets not get started on my DVD collection. Yet after all this I still have a decent amount of money in savings and no debt so far. So it can be done, just choose which figures you will personally get the most out of and not just buy all of them. Another way is having a budget you stick to each month.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yes. You know you are addicted when you only want certain figures but end up getting other ones because they are there. I told myself I wouldn't get anything except the movie figures that actually appeared in the movie. Now I have Wreckage, Swindle, and 3 of the Real gear guys. Also going to get Payload when he comes out.

This i salso how I ended up with all of Cybertron. I was goign to stop but then the few I got were so good that I ended up getting more that weren't

And Drew, thumbs way up to the hometown!

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Great advice Tekkaman. I am definately not a completist, I usually focus on show characters, or favorites. For example, I am really only targeting the GI Joe battle packs, and if I cant find those, just a few of the singles like snake-eyes, Flint, and Cobra Commander. Still, I find it odd that as a child of the 90s basically, I enjoy the toys and characters from the 80s more. I guess its because I think that my generation got crap in the tv and toy realm, aside from the Star Wars figures and TMNT.

7. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    This is what I called plastic crack :D 

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

At least our health doesnt suffer from plastic crack, maybe our wallets and gas tanks though....

9. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Dude.. I feel exactly like the OP..

At first it was transformers.. then I saw a nice GI JOE box set 25th... i saw a button.. it said press here... then the nostalgia of the "G.I. JOE!!!!" theme hit me like a ton of bricks and i caved in ever since...

Speaking of alternators... Valkysas said that the bubble boxese are repaints of the regular boxed alternators? or did i misunderstand? can someone clarify for me? Thanks!

10. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to the likes of Sunstreaker; repaints that were released in the (new) bubble packaging as opposed to the originals released in (old) red box packaging.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    What I meant was that I got all the new mold bubble-boxed alternators, but none of the bubble-boxed repaints aside from nemesis prime. I have all the normal boxed alternators too. the repaints killed the line for me.

12. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    oh ok. i like the bubble packaging. it shows off the car more for those MISB collectors

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe I have an addiction and its quite serious. I've been buying and buying non-stop for the last few years. If its not TFs, its Gundam. If its not Gundam, its ML. True be told, I'm also abit sick of my habit and I'm going to sell some of my stuff over the next few months.

14. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

Add me to the obsessed list. I only wanted LDR Prime and Blackout, purchased the entire first 2 waves of Deluxe and Voyagers, then sold all of them except LDR Prime, Blackout, Ironhide and 08 BB. I also sold the entire Classics collection. I miss the days of the Alternators, the only line I actually want to complete. Well, I have all the MP's too. At least I have enough sense to sell off the less desirable bulk before the wife runs me out of the house. Dont get me wrong, I love the Classics as toys, just not display toys.

The wife has no problem buying me MP's and Binaltechs, it's the plastic ones she rolls her eyes at. :rolleyes2  I actually had to convince her that I prefer the "plasticky" Alts over the BT's due to the added cost, weight and wear.

15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Welcome to the club, it's always nice to have new addicts to share our habbits with. You will fit in fine here, once you've chosen TF's over food you will receive ten bonus internet points!

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:

Indeed! :p 

17. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Haha I'm totally addicted to toys. It used to be Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and Star Wars figures. Then I kind of moved on to Muppets, Lord of the Rings, and Nightmare Before Christmas.

I just completed my Muppet collection and my Lord of the Rings collection. So most people would be like "ok, that's done... no more blowing money on stuff like that" but not me... now I'm collecting the WORLD OF SPRINGFIELD line! Yeah I didn't buy any of them when they were in stores, but I've been getting some good deals on eBay which is good. I'm also eagerly awaiting the next series of Nightmare Before Christmas figures.

Oh and I still do collect Transformers toys. I love the Classics figures and the movie figures, but they aren't top priority. I'm also on eBay looking for a replacement Beast Wars Scorponok (mine was heavily played with when I was younger and thus heavily damaged lol) and a few other Beast Wars figures I missed out on from the days when I had to rely on getting them as gifts lol

18. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Muppets FTW!

Was that your collection over in the showcase tht had the bad ass Muppets display? I think I'm off to Best Buy to get those Muppets DVDs I've been eyeing for so long, my wife's gonna love you, hehehe

19. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

It's not an addiction to me... it's not detrimental to me or anyone else... it's just something fun that I do.

I could stop if I wanted to... I just don't.

20. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

plasti-crack

and

die-cast dope (credit to megatroptimus for that one)

gimme gimme gimme gimme

Ugh, I can't breathe, my heart's on fire, I think someone slipped some fake $hit into my stash...damn you China! And it looked the same!