Touhou thread, anyone?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SoundShock, Sep 26, 2009.

1. SoundShock

SoundShock Go home, Steve.

About Touhou

The Touhou project series of games are vertical shooters. Not just any vertical shooters, but danmaku(curtain fire;barrage) shooters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, you'll have to dodge all of that. The series is known for its loads and loads of characters, well-developed storylines, and producing shitloads of memes. Other than shooters, the series have spawned precisely 3 fighting game spinoffs. The whole series is set in the fantasy land of Gensokyo.

Characters. To name a few
    Character descriptions courtesy of tvtropes. The first two are the main characters...while introducing a few notable ones.

Reimu Hakurei

[​IMG]

Shrine Maiden of the Hakurei shrine. Extremely talented, but hates training and is very lazy. She's also a friendly person who gets along well with everyone, including Youkai. This passive attitude towards monsters doesn't sit well with most of the humans in Gensokyo, which means her shrine doesn't get many visitors... or donations.

Marisa Kirisame

[​IMG]

A magician who lives in the Forest of Magic. She just happened to be the "Ordinary Magician" in the middle of a crowd of superpowered beings, so she worked her ass off HARD to eventually become one of the more formidable opponents in Gensokyo. She's rude and loud-mouthed, but is a straightforward person. She also steals precious things.

Sakuya Izayoi

[​IMG]

Chief Maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Despite being the leader of the maids at the SDM, Sakuya usually has to do all of the work herself because the fairy maids are completely useless. Uses knives and time manipulation to fight and do maid tasks. Much of Sakuya's origin is left to speculation, although it is implied that she may not be human and Sakuya may not be her name.

Cirno

[​IMG]

An ice fairy who lives at the lake surrounding the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Her favorite hobby is freezing frogs and watching them thaw. Surprisingly, Cirno is one of the few characters that realizes what's going on during Phantasmagoria of Flower View, even though she mistakes it for a festival. Is best known for both an infamous Memetic Mutation (detailed below) and Icicle Fall -Easy-, a spell card that can be completely dodged by placing yourself directly in front of Cirno.

To sum up the rest, most of the characters are Youkai(some of them being half-animal people), Lunarians(people that live on the moon), Magicians, and creatures from other instances of Japanese mythology(Kappa, Tengu, Oni, etc.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Most of the people I know, who like the Touhou stuff, are into it for all the music and doujinshi animations. :) 

I got into it for that and the fighting game versions. :D 

3. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step. TFW2005 Supporter

hunh? how'd I miss this?
    even though I've only really played EoSD, (I've got PCB, but it won't patch correctly, and runs at 180 fps, and STB)

haven't played for about 2 weeks though, got all the way to Red Magic on a 1CC run, and still failed it.. very frustrating to say the least

4. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

So recently I started getting into Touhou. Beat the story mode of Hisoutensoku, and have been working my way through EoSD. Games are fun, just hard getting good at them.
    [​IMG]

5. PaladinVance

^ Think I've mentioned as much before, but I found it helped practicing on higher difficulties, so you force yourself to learn grazing.

6. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

^I don't think I'm ready for venturing out of easy yet...Almost got past Hong on my latest attempt at EoSD, but I died because of a stupid miss-step...:redface2: 

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm just blindly bumrushing through Perfect Cherry Blossom on normal at this point. Haven't made it past Alice. feelsbadman.jpg

8. PaladinVance

like sitting at the bottom of the screen waiting for Youmu to start "Brute Sword "Karmic Punishment of the Idle and Unfocused" " even though you know damn well how that Card starts off? (wonderful way to die with a stock of 5 bombs wasted by the way)