Tough choice; resurface or buy a new copy?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kujo1597, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a game that I play every year. It's called "The Legend of Dragoon" and my copy is getting a little on the worn out side. I love it to bits and it shows. :lol 

I checked around the city and found a used copy at High Tech Game Traders for $42.

I told the dude there that I already own a copy and he said he could resurface it for $10. The rate is usually $5 per disk and it's a four disk game.

I then checked on the internet and there are some new copies for $45.

The tough choice comes in because the dude said that resurfacing is not guarenteed to make it work better. I don't want to spend $10-$20 on something that may not work. But $45 is a lot for a game I already have. I may not even play that copy. I just wanted a backup since Sony is stupid.

Of course having a new copy could be good since it would probably gain value if I keep it sealed and I could sell it if I ever got too tired of it.

Another problem is the Playstation Network. The only reason I can think of for it not going on the Playstation Network is "The Legend of Dragon". Which is only one letter different from "The Legend of Dragoon". So there's the chance that I would be unlucky and Sony would put it up the same week or month I cave in and buy a copy.

I have to make this choice pretty quick since it sells out fast.

To be honest, it's not the best game in the world, I just have a ton of nostalgia towards this game. I actually bought the soundtrack today for $16.

I know it's my money but I never got a disc resurfaced before. I heard from Protonjon during one of his livestreams that it usually works well. I also did some research to see if it could possibly make things worse. It seems like that only happens with lazer burns and not with light scratches and finger prints which is what my game has.

TL;DR; I'm a cheap person who loves a game to bits...literally. Should I shell out $45 for a new copy or pay $10-$20 to have it resurfaced? Or should I do neither and hope Sony smartens up?

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Why not just make a copy of it, so you can put your original away?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Have you got a PS3? Legend of Dragoon was released on PSN IIRC.

4. Kujo1597

News Credits:
    That didn't really occur to me to be honest. I'll have to do some research to learn how to do it. I know for some systems you have to have special devices to turn games into ROMs.

I know for sure you need to device to make a PS1 emulator. I have the PS1 but not all the fancy cables and knowhow. I don't really look around the electronics section of stores but I doubt the local Wallmart or Zellers would have it.

It was released on the Japanese PSN in 2008 but not on the North American one and I'm about 85% sure it's not on the European one either. I suppose I could get a Japanese Playstation Network Card since I do have the script memorized at this point. But that seems like a hassle and I would prefer to play it in english. Sure, the writing is a bit awkward but nostalgia is the main reason why I love this game so much. I think it'd be hard to get the same feeling playing it in a language I don't understand in the slightest. It wouldn't even have the same cheesy voices.

Thank you both for the posts, I'll keep Gryph's in mind. Though I slept on it and I'm leaning more towards the resurfacing since I have a very hard time spending $45 on something I own a working copy of.

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Modchip your ps1 and make a copy, really simple.

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    not even. if you have one of the early ps1's all you need it a garbage twist tie or paperclip to jam into the button that the disc lid presses down, and you're golden.

7. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is the 10$ for resurfacing for the 4 disks, or is it 10$ per disc, which would equal the cost of you buying the game from High Tech Game Traders?

8. Kujo1597

News Credits:
    It's $5 per disc but the dude said he'd charge me $10 to resurface all four. It'd usually cost $20 so the dude's giving me a good deal. I think he'll remember me. I don't think too many girls come in wearing a Transformers shirt.

I asked my friend if he got games resurfaced and he said it was successful with his two games.

After a decent night's sleep and talking to Kyle. I decided to just resurface the game. It requires slightly less research and doesn't involve jamming a paper clip into my aging PS1 or making an emulator.

Thank you all for the input. Hopefully this will help other people out.

And hopefully Sony will grant my wish. >_>

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Are you talking about booting his damaged disc and then swapping with the copy?

10. Kujo1597

News Credits:
    Oh! I thought he meant that a paper clip was an alternative to a modchip. I don't know anything about this stuff so I found it hilariously low-tech. Why buy something that is arguably illegal when you can just jam the thing with a paperclip? :lol 

11. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's nothing. There's a race called Like the Wind on Gran Turismo 5. I've seen a video of a guy winning the race with a Dual Shock Controller, a elastic band and a popsicle stick. Oh the wonders of Youtube.