touching up paint on G1 diacast

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mweeuser, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recently tried some very minor touchups on some g1 diacast parts with good success.
    so much so that I want to expand this to some that are worse off. I am using valejo
    acrylics to do it and other than the flatness, which I am planning on getting some gloss
    finish for, it looks very good, even the flatness is not noticble on very minor chips.
    My question is, what have others done? Type of paints, brands, what kind of success and
    to what degree, large areas versus small dings, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm very new and not experienced in painting at all.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is gloss acrylics that might help a bit too..
    I've never tried to touch the old G1's up though.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It wasn't a die-cast part, but on G1 Scorponok's orange plastic, I found that TamiyaColor X-6 Orange is a dead-on ringer for touching up his paint. I used it to touch up the orange square on his chest. It matches so 100% perfectly I swear that's what they originally used on him.

4. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I had a g1 pretender shell where the silver had been scrapped away in some areas by wear/tear. I found a testors enamel silver colour that I happened to have on hand (not sure the exact name) and it's an almost exact match for the silver colour.

5. formula93

formula93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ive used testors model masters enamels for touchups. Mainly just red for my dinobots and sideswipe, and black for astrotrain.

6. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I use Testors Model Master Acrylics on everything. Enamels have proven to never cure for me and this is especially true for metal like colors. You'll probably end up having to create custom colors but that's more than true if using any other brand as well so ymmv.