Customs: Totally Out Of this World Weathering!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sabrina_Ng, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I was browsing through websites and articles on reading up tutorials on how to improve my weathering and painting skills when I came across this Juggernaut. Just left me totally speechless..Anyone has any idea how he does it?

Check out his web at http://www.kallamity.com/galleries

[ATT] 15330 [/Att]

[ATT] 15331 [/Att]

Attached Files:

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've seen his stuff before, he is an amazing scratchbuilder/modeler. He even seems to like SF3D/Maschinen Krieger, which happens to me my secret nonsexual lust. LOL

As to your question, I have seen artists use a mix of Copic markers and real rust/paint to get these effects, very cool stuff that Maschinen Krieger fans are known for as the whole style of the stuff is dirty new style(kinda steampunkish) robotics.

3. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

damn that is nice and truely inspiring. like tony said thats what i know as well.

also tony keep an eye out in non transformers customs i have a Krieger fireball sg diaroma i am going to take a stab at . i got a match set of four i want to make a scene with

oh yeah i almost forgot they may have used some pastel dust on that as well for rust and other stuff

4. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Hmmm..Copic markers and rust paint eh? I did a search and saw some copic markers on ebay.sg. It's for anime/manga artists isn't it? But I can't seem to find much about rust paint. Results turned out more anti-rust paint in fact! lolx!

I'm also trying to see if normal paints can imitate the rust effects. I tried black with some brown and even copper but the colours that came out of the airbrush were very unsatisfactory. I bet the artist of those mechas sanded probably did an undercoat of some shade of brown, followed by the greyish tone. And probably sanded off parts along the edges for the wear.

Any tips on the rusty formula by using/mixing normal paints?

5. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Are these the pastel dust that you mentioned?

http://www.craftsupplies.ie/shop/ProdImages/ChalksPastel.JPG

Looks more like my eye shadow :confused: 

6. Vengecore

Vengecore decepti-jerk

Ebay:
    Tamiya makes some weathering pastels, they look like a make up compact and come with similar applicator. I used the soot color to apply marks from jet exhaust.

Here's an article about them.

7. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your a fan too!! Neato! I have some Nitto kits that I have been meaning to build one of these days(2 Fireball SG, 2 Racoons, Nuespotter, 2 Nutrockers, I also have tons of 1/35 scale Mueselines and Fireball/prowlers that I got on clearance from HLJ.com, they are dirt cheap and you could make a little battle dio with them), I just got the modeling guide that Kow Yokoyama goes through a bunch of his scratchbuilds he has done, very awesome stuff from the master.
    The pastels is what I am referring to, if you buy really good ones they are actually real rust. I am not kidding about the Copic Markers though, if you rub in the pastel around the area you want to look affected you can then use the blender marker with a brown/burgundy marker and get the effect that rain and what not is making the rust run a little(cause that is real weathering). If I can get one of my model kits built up soon I will do a tutorial on it as it is wonderful stuff for people who want a real look.

8. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Hey! Thanks. I've got those. 3 kits to be precise. But somehow, I could never seem to pull off a realistic looking rusted 'make-up'. It's a real pain and I've tried it on many kits but to no avail. The colours when applied are not 'subtle' enough to blend in into the overall look. I might be doing something wrong but I'm really dying to use airbrushing to get a rusted look, sandy or gravelled stained look, if that's even possible.

9. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:

A tutorial would be fantastic. Meanwhile, I'll probably scout around for those Copic Markers, brown/burgundy I assume? The last time I attempted some 'rust' stain, it ended up looking like erm..just totally something else. hehe. Also, is it safe to assume that those Copic markers are different from the usual Gundam Markers? And what's a blender?

10. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK I will try and build a kit I have been meaning to do. The markers are refillable artist markers get a color that close/matches one of your rust colored pastels and also be sure to get the clear blending marker(this is the one that does most the work).

11. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Yeah! I can't wait to see'em. You're amazing TonyzCustomz!!! :D 

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That is a beautiful piece.

13. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL no problem, I am sure lots of people would love a tutorial about this. I just ordered some of the Weathering sets myself, much easier to show you using something you already have right.

14. luke4

luke4 crocon

where do u buy those kits?!

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow....that does look great.

And I am looking forward to this Tutorial Tony :thumb 

....might come in handy for a project I am doing :) 

16. anovasinn

i would like to see a tut as well getting rust right is the thing i would like to learn.

BTW testors rust paint is a good base but it is missing the other oranges and blacks good rust weathering needs.

tony on the fireballs i am a new fan i got them from my buddy as a birthday gift and really liked them so i started studying them . i am currently looking for a focal point ,setting and a back drop for the diorama piece.

17. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL Looks like I have quite a few people counting on this tut. Hmm pictures might be hard, maybe a video of me making the majic happen might work better.

MA.K Is awesome bro, I got started on them by a friend too. He gave me all the ones I mentioned cause he knew I loved Mechanica so much. Fireballs are space suits so you might want to do something in space with wires making them look like they are floating/flying in space. Any diorama is cool though with these guys.

18. anovasinn

i can't because i want to utilize the one with the open cockpit. my buddy that gave them suggested maybe a landing bay

19. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh I gotcha. An earth setting would be best(There is almost no reference to any indoor settings that I have found so I wouldnt even know where to begin with a space station, that does mean it is uncharted area and you would be free to make up whatever which is cool), maybe a nice country side though, like a crash landing site. Could even make a crater(not sure if the suit could land like that though).

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Video would be sweet man.....that way I can follow along with what you're saying and watching you at the same time....I learn best that way...

Might have to watch it like seven or so times....but I'll get it :p