Torrents on Macs

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by biscuits, Jul 10, 2011.

1. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Hi, i've been trying to get some torrents of things like TF: Prime and none of them work on my Mac. Is there a way to make them work or are they just no Mac compatible?
    Thanks for any help :) 

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You need to have a program that handles the torrent files. It will take the torrent and then go and grab the bits from other users sharing it, reassembling it into one file that you can now watch.

I'd recommend either uTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac) or Transmission (Transmission)

I would remind you that asking for links to copyrighted material (Anime's, games, music, films, etc) is strictly forbidden on these forums. You can ask about the programs but that is all.

3. biscuits

Not complaining here, but I didn't request links to actual video's, just how to make the video's work on a Mac :) 

4. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I am aware, torrent files should work on your mac. However, if the extension type (mp4 avi etc) is what you're having a problem with, you may need to find a program that will run that type of file or find a program to convert it into one that an existing program will. Though...to better answer your question, more specifics would help :) 

5. biscuits

What sort of specifics? It's kinda difficult to show the file due that i'm trying to view, as per the TFW rules.

6. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    May I ask, are you trying to play torrent files on your MAC?

7. biscuits

Yes, but the message that come's up is telling me that there is no selected application to open the file.

8. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    You can't play torrents directly. You have to download the actual file behind the torrent...

* You get the torrent file. (.torrent)
    * Use a program like utorrent to download the avi/mkv/iso/rar files.
    * Once you have the file(s) downloaded open it up... Say it's a rar file, it has to be extracted. VLC can play an ISO/AVI/MKV file(s).

You can't directly play a .torrent file. I hope this helps.

EDIT: If you're having a hard time doing that, you can use the Direct Download Links (DDLs). Darkprime has listed quite a few here.

Also note, that some are in parts ending in ".001, .002, .003..." Those types of files, you'll need to use HJSplit to join them together.

9. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    aside from daimchoc's post.....I wanted to ask, have you just downloaded the torrent? If so, did you also use a program like uTorrent to have the actual files downloaded? If not, then you would want to follow the directions in daimchoc's post.

If you've already done that, and you can't play/run the file, then check into the extension its under (mp4, avi, etc etc) and then google search a program for your mac that will allow it to run :cool: