Tornado scare

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3 years, 1 month and 1 day after a tornado destroyed my old high school, killing 8 students in the process, we had a surprise tornado touch down in Enterprise.

the entire city was holding its breath and kids thar remember the last tornado were sent racing to halls and shelters.

fortunately, it was a minor tornado and didn't damage anything more than a couple trees and someone's porch.

but we are still spooked by what could have happened.

it's hard to move on when we have reminders.

2. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dang, that sucks.
    Talk about irony.

3. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

How minor exactly based on the Fujita Scale? If you're not familiar with it, F1 being very minor (Similar to the damage you describe.) and F5 being total destruction.

My condolensces to you. Tornados are amazing to look at, but incredibly deadly. It's on my bucket list to see a tornado in person, maybe a mile away with a nearby basement with a pair of binoculars.

4. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, after watching local stations and The Weather Channel all day to keep track, there was never a rating posted for it. (that i am aware of.)

it was indeed a tornado, since it was the police who initially reported it.
    but as i said, it must have been a touch and go (dissipated) tornado because it hit in a small spot and was gone.

just glad that was the end of it.

My nieces were in the high school with my mom the day it was hit back in 07. talked to them about school today and they were not handling it well.
    that's what i was worried about.

that and knowing the several hundred other kids thinking it was 2007 all over again.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I know what you're going thru. A tornado dropped a tree on my house when I was 12. Only thing separating my head from the tree was my bedroom wall, another foot closer, and it would have fallen on my head. I lived in Tuscaloosa, Alabama back then.

6. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, i am not as terrified of tornadoes like my nieces and most in this area are.
    Hurricanes, on the other hand, are what really get me.
    lost a house to one in the 70s, (i was 4 or 5 at the time, IIRC) endured a few more over the years.

After spending a night during a hurricane working multiple car wrecks, that is what finally put the fear of those things in my head.

Not saying tornadoes are fun. guess that i am bothered more by one than the other.
    like people who aren't scared of roaches, but freak out around a spider, lol.

(i freak out at roaches,btw.)

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know what you mean, jorod74, I was up the other night until 3 a.m. just making sure another tornado doesn't strike this area.. here in TN we have our share of them too.. we had 10 in the area just last year and they did tons of damage and killed a couple of folks fairly close to where my brother and his family lives..his inlaws lost part of their house in that storm--but they were ok.....and I don't mind admitting they scare the heck out of me.. :eek: 

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Know what you mean.

Never shoot bottle rockets at a Vet.

9. Tyrannosaur

Don't worry, I do too :lol  but I like scorpions for some reason. They don't bother me as much as*Shivers* Tarantualas. Tornados are such an amazing spectacle to watch.

My state had a hurricane once. I was about 8-10 yearrs old. Man what a night that was. I was close to shitting my pants with fear. News alerts going off, tornado warnings in my area, the house shaking and the rain pounding against the roof and walls like an angry mob. Lightning would strike right outside my house and scare the crap.

Have you ever heard thunder that literally made your house shake from being so ear-deafening loud? It's some scary shit right there. That's also why I'm scared of the Tripods from War of the Worlds :lol 

10. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

That really sucks, I'm glad their was no major damage again, I remember when lightning struck My Mom, The bolt literally went through Her and struck our circuit breaker frying everything on one level of our house, My Mom was fine for a little bit after, Then She started forgetting things like Her Brothers name, She even forgot what ketchup was, I was so worried that She would forget everything I almost threw up at one point, Luckily it was only temporary, The weather can do some pretty crazy things...

11. Tyrannosaur

^True. Tornados end up causing the wierdest things to happen. For example they will destroy one house, but the next house over they skip it, causing little or no damage desptie the house before (And after it) being totaled.

I highly reccommend Storm Stories on the Weather Channel, it's very interesting. I've never mentioned this before but along with paleontology and astronomy, meteorology has always been a fascination of mine since I was little. I still like to learn about it but it's kinda been subsided in my mind for a while now. Here and there I'll read something on it or watch a documentary on The Science Channel or Discovery (Storm Chasers ftw!)

12. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    I've always loved watching tornados. I grew up in western Kansas, so powerful thunderstorms and tornados were pretty common during the summer. I remember some nights, you couldn't watch anything on TV, because everything was preempted by weather alerts!

I actually came close to going into meteorology. I wanted to be a storm chaser. Me an a friend even went out several times during storms trying to track down tornados. I ended up choosing engineering, though, as I thought I might live a longer life. Anymore, though, I'm not so sure! :D