Torchwood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabidYak, Oct 23, 2006.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Any of the other UK mofos watch the yawnarific new Doctor Who spin-off on BBC3 last night?

Anyone told Russell T Davies that lots of swearing, sex and knob jokes don't consitute the sort of mature edgy drama that this show has been shilled as?

I'll give it a few weeks before I commit my final opinion to the internets, but i'm certainly not impressed so far. They are going to need allot more then the previously amusing Captain Jack to prop this one up, especially if the dopey Welsh woman is going to be the focus of the show and if they are going to keep using teenage-grade ZOMG material to try and maintain interest.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Absolute crap. The first episode was dire, and the second episode was worse.

3. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't have BBC3.

But I will be looking into it.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It was meh, but Im going to give it a chance, because Captain Jack is a great character, with a lot of Potential.

I also liked the frequent nods to Doctor Who.

Who bets that the hand in the jar is the Doctor's severed hand from the Christmas special?

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

IF and WHEN this show comes to the US then maybe I'l have an opinion on it. Right now I'm still looking forward to seeing the new Cybermen next week.

I'm actually more looking forward to the Sarah Jane spin off than Torchwood though.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I liked it well enough, what I want to know is did EVERYONE that Rose saved with Time vortex become immortal or just Capt. Jack?

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's what I find interesting. Perhaps there are as yet untold consequences to be dealt with. Could make for an interesting future plotline.
    Overall I found it to be alright on the first episode, though a bit slow. The second was not that good. Too much sex to make it enjoyable really.
    I wonder if we'll see these other two branches of Torchwood? Torchwood 2 is set up as a future appearance, really, given the line about the guy who runs it, and Torchwood 4 immediatly made me wonder just what it could be to disappear for a while. I'm guessing they must play into the later episodes, why else mention the two of them?

I'll be watching the rest of it, but I doubt it'll do much more than tide me over until the new season of Doctor Who starts.

8. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i thought jack was the only person rose brought back to life, certainly it didn't show her bringing anyone else back to life

9. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

You're right it only showed Jack coming back, for soem reason i thought she resurrected everyone on Satelite 5. I do wonder how he got back to the 20th century without the Doctor.

10. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well when rose asked the doctor if they should go back for him , the doctor said he had the entire human race to rebuild or something , so maybe he found another time device in the future and went back in time

11. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Got to watch the first episode today, thought it was alright. Much different vibe from Doctor Who. I did like the little nods to the series, and the fact that Jack is keeping the Doctor's dismembered hand in a jar. Just cool to see Captain Jack again. I really liked his character from before. In terms of how he got back to the 21st century. I was guessing that maybe the rift that's in Cardiff might be part of it. If other things can pop through, what would have stopped Jack from doing it? He did have prior knowledge of the rift.

12. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Jack's also there knowing the Doctor will come past to recharge the TARDIS at some point.

I've watched both episodes, I quite liked them both, I liked the understated comments about casual sex and emotional repercussions arising from casual sex through the second episode, it turned it from cheap jokes (as was pointed out) into something a bit more adult than usual for Doctor Who (and most other genre shows).

Looking forward to next week's episode.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

Nope. The elevator lift and the global ignore is an aftermath from the events from Boomtown.

Anyway, caught the first three episodes, Episode 1 I thought was good, 2 was weak, and three was OK.

14. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

My friends and I, being overly familiar with Cardiff, love sitting and figuring out where all the shoot locations are, hasn't been a place on there we don't know yet!
    Some of the more obvious ones like outside the Milennium centre or cardiff bay are easy but we've been surprising ourselves with how many of the side streets and things we recognize!

15. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Downloaded yesterdday's but haven't had a chance to watch it yet...