Torchwood: Miracle Day

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, May 23, 2011.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought I read it was only on Starz, but it would make sense for BBCA to carry it. However seeing as how BBCA hasn't run any promos for it I'd bet they're not going to show it.

Regardless, new Torchwood!! :) 

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Torchwood's a different show to Doctor Who, I'm happy to let it have a different thread.

I've been looking forward to this for a while truth be told. Children of the Earth was fantastic dark sci-fi and leagues above what had gone before. I hope this series carries on in that fashion.

(Would love to comment on the trailer but it's not available to the UK, WTF?)

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    General Torchwood question: I know it's a spin-off of Dr. Who, but is it very dependent on being a Dr. Who fan or follower to "get" the show? I've never been a big Who fan (Love the concept, just never invested enough time to really give it a chance), but Torchwood piques my interest... Is Miracle Days a good jumping on point, or should I look for the 1st season on DVD here in the US somewhere and start from scratch?

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some earlier episodes of Torchwood make subtle references to Dr. Who, but overall they aren't connected in such a way that you'd need to know anything about Who at all - they're more like fun references for the fans. Still, I'd suggest you start at the beginning with Torchwood if you want to familiarize yourself with the full Torchwood team because they go through quite a journey.

Can't say wether or not Miracle Day is a good point to start with since nobody has seen it yet. :) 

8. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    fair enough. Thanks! :) 

9. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    The first two seasons of Torchwood were a bit 'love it or hate it' territory. It only really came into it's own during season 3, the Children of Earth mini-series, IMO. There's references to Doctor Who throughout the show (only a copule of times per season, and a big one towards the end of both S1 and CoE) but it's never really important, beyond some characters' backstory.

I'm tempted to say start with Miracle Day - as (spoiler for S2, use your own judgement here)
    a lot of the team die before CoE, and CoE finishes some others off. Miracle Day is very much a fresh start, with only a few recurring characters.
    This may make it better for you, actually. Since it's being marketed largely at the USA now, I reckon they'll set it up as a good jumping on point. You can then go back and test the somewhat daft waters of S1&2, and the brilliant piece of TV that is Children of Earth, at your own leasure.

10. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Interesting... thanks for the extra info! :) 

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oooh, new Torchwood. Between this and Doctor Who finding its way again it looks good for BBC sci fi drama!

12. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

So anyone watch the premire tonight? Pretty good episode. Mostly just a straight set up for the rest if the season.
    I really hope they dont make Capt. Jack mortal again. Part of his awesomeness is/was his immortality.

13. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm not sure which was creepier: Bill Pullman or
    the undead suicide bomber

Also, Rex Matherson vs. Wales. Wales wins.

14. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

That was creepy. Mores so when
    Capt Jack told them to cut the head off and the head opened its eye after.

15. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I love Torchwood because it differs so much from Dr Who. The Doctor wanders into Boring Invincible Hero land at times, the Torchwood crew not so much. Children of Earth in particular was awesome, love watching John Barrowman chew up the scenery.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I just couldn't get into the original Torchwood. Later episodes seemed to just get too over dramaic, and all the character development was rather, dare I say, emo.

But I checked out the new series, and so far it's seems pretty interesting. I'm at least hook enough to want to see why the heck no one can die.

17. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Probably the only way to kill Jack. When Humanity is Mortal, Jack is Immortal; and when Humanity is Immortal Jack is Mortal, pretty obvious flip flop.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Ah, ok then. Now I don't have to bother.

19. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any one else watching this? It is getting really good, especially now that they determined that the drug company is just a middle man and whoever is in charge is trying to blackmail Gwen

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well they only have 4 episodes left to go, they have to start moving the plot along soon. I keep hoping Jack will do more.(fighting/action) It's pretty much his series and he's mostly been absent from it. It's been very slow so far, at least till Gwen started blowing up stuff last episode. Though it is nice to see Jack having his personality closer to the version that you see when he's teamed up with the Doctor and less of the brooding character he's seemed to become in past series. He's almost like a different character when the Doctor is around, more fun and quicker on the jokes.