Torchwood : Children Of Earth (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ratchet2007, Feb 5, 2009.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Just finished watching all five episodes back-to-back. It was exhausting. I really had no idea what was going to happen, how they were going to get out of the mess. And, they really didn't. Sure, the 456 are gone, the world's children saved, etc. But Jack now has to live with his decision for the rest of his immortal life, he's lost his lover, his daughter, and to him, his home planet.

The reveal for why the 456 needed the kids was refreshingly original and had my wife questioning the mental well being of the writers :D 

I really enjoyed it but now I need to go find something completely braindead to watch to kind of rest my brain after five hours of adrenaline.

Great stuff. If the series continues, I hope that can carry the momentum from series three forward for a little bit.

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

I'm not talking about individual trauma. I'm talking about that the moment the 456 were defeated everything stopped. The soldiers didn't take the children from Gwen, the operation that the world governments were doing just stopped across the board. Then there was no followup to it, no revolutionary upheaval, no seeing the government coverup coming to light, no seeing the Prime Minister facing the music. It just ended and skipped ahead.

If it was about losing your humanity, then I think it failed miserably. If it's about losing faith, then it did it's job well.

Crying when Frobisham died? Really? Perhaps I am overly jaded.

I also don't think blowing up a rift in space and time that was of vital importance to the first two seasons is exactly a minor plot point.

3. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sorry to dig up the thread i only just watched this.

I wonder if the original plan was to have jack use/kill gwens unborn baby at the end, it does seem a bit convenient she was told she was having a kid just a few episodes before and this would have had more emotional impact, plus she didnt really seem to have anything to do in the last episode she just sort of ran around i wonder if they changed the script and she was meant to be elsewhere.

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Its already been said that they didn't blow up the rift, they blew up the hub. Completely different things.

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

The Prime Minister did face the music, and we saw snippets of the revolutionary upheaval as it happened. I can see what your issue is, but wrapping those issues up as you would like it after the climax would be long and tedious.
    I'm rooting for losing humanity here. Jack's actions, the heads of state, Frobisher. All slowly losing their humanity as their forced into a corner. Plus, there was the operatives woman who gained some measure of humanity throughout the series.
    It was 2 in the morning, I had watched it as marathon and I was a bit drunk.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't watch any of it until last Sunday. I basically recorded it all and watched it in one fell swoop.

It was actually very very good. I've always said Torchwood has the potential to be good, if only the writers would grow up, remove all the stupid crass innuendo, move further out of Cardiff (Cardiff? Seriously?) and stick to the core Sci Fi values its trying to promote.

And guess what? This time they did. And it rocked. It actually looks like the 5 episode format did them a favour.

I thought it was so good I went off and bought it yesterday on Blu-ray... for £25. Ouch.

7. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aliens using children as drugs woah, - amazingly dark plot, very entertaining mini-series, everything was good

5/5

8. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just saw all of it. Shit. That is all I have to say. It was amazing. It was so dark... Great television. My jaw dropped when Jack was encased in cement and didn't close for the rest of the veiwing. Shoot. I am still in awe. They went places I thought they would never go. Wow, just wow.

9. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Oi! :lol 

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    LOL. ;)  Nothing against Cardiff, but the decision to make this universal time hub thingy in BBC Wales backyard was a very iffy decision. In the same way that when/wherever the Doctor goes his Tardis always takes him back to London... hrm.

My wife actually said during the second episode, why not just put him in a block of concrete and drop him in the sea? A minute later they dropped the concrete on him. No sea dropping though.

11. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere (in internet time this is "old news"), but Torchwood will continue with a 4th season:
    'Torchwood' Getting a Fourth Season

Excellent news indeed. However I have to admit I've been harboring hope that they would bring Ianto back somehow, and it really looks like they wont. Somehow it wont seem quite the same without Ianto, but that wont stop me from watching it.

I wonder if they'll recruit Lois? Maybe they could bring Mickey (from DW) on board since he's back from the alternate dimension. I assume Gwen will still be part of the show (a look at IMDB indicates she's keeping her schedule clear).

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It will be interesting to see what brings Jack back to Earth. He seemed like he would never come back at the end of COE.

13. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard one of the producers of Torchwood and DW (name completely escapes me now) say that they would like to bring Mickey back via Torchwood, if only for a guest spot. I personally would like to see him join the main cast, but just seeing him again will be fine with me.

Great news about season 4! :D 

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Well, if the producers want him on the show, and considering Noel Clarke (Mickey) was a Torchwood writer at one time, I would say the chances are good he'll show up. Mickey is another example of a character I disliked in the beginning but grew to love (Captain Jack is another).

I'm also wondering how Johnson (the special agent lady in COE) would fit onto the Torchwood team and if I would even want that or not. I mostly hated her throughout COE (in a good way, she was an excellent adversary), but I found myself warming up to her in Day 5.

I'm really curious and excited to see where they take the next season/series. It really could go anywhere. After COE it's hard to imagine them building another Hub and going back to business as usual (although the Rift is still presumably active and problematic). Maybe they'll have a mobile base this time. Even though Torchwood should finally get the recognition and commendation they deserve I could see them getting double-crossed by the Prime Minister for one reason or another (Prime Ministers always seem to go sour in the DW/TW universe) and having the entire world after them, keeping them on the run and in hiding, and still having to save the world on top of that. They've already proven they don't necessarily need a base as long as they can tap into the Torchwood servers.

15. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

way i hear it, fouth season might get delayed or cancelled as barrowman may be doing desperate housewives

16. Spoon

Spoon Banned

17. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Wow, that guy really thinks he's a wealth of knowledge, doesn't he? :|

18. Spoon

Spoon Banned

He is.

Gawd I love Lawrence Miles.

Even if you don't agree with him, he's still bloody entertaining!

19. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

20. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    He's certainly got a deep trove of opinions to mine from, I'll give him that. :D