Top Ranking G1 Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I was doing some more tech spec number crunching and was a little surprised by the results

I took each G1 transformer and took down there "rank" tech spec and sorted them accordingly.

Here is what the top 7 ranking cons and bots are - Anyone else surprised???

1. Optimus Prime (10)
    2. Jetfire (10)
    3. Prowl (9)
    4. Grimlock (9)
    5. Jazz (8)
    6. Wheeljack (8)
    7. ROADBUSTER (8)

1. Megatron (10)
    2. Starscream (9)
    3. Shockwave (9)
    4. Soundwave (8)
    5. VENOM (8)
    6. Kickback (7)
    7. Ravage (7)

I am not 100% sure on Ravage or Skids. Ravage is either a 6 ot a 7 and Skids is either a 7 or a 8.

I understand why Venom is high ranked and it might be the same for Roadbuster. I read somewhere that Venom was originally going to be used in a prominent role in the cartoon but because of copyright issues the toy could not appear in any cartoons. Anyone else have any thoughts???

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Other than that Tech Spec rankings are overall random and shouldn't be taken seriously, no.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A little surprised that Jetfire also had a rank of ten, but that's all.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Where's Rodimus Prime and Galvatron?

5. The Fortress Maximus

The Fortress Maximus Has a toilet in his head

Fortress Maximus, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus...or is this just done for the first two series.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think this must be just from the first two waves. I seem to remember that Galvatron had insane specs...

There are holes in the reasoning for the tech spec scores... but at the same time, they are mostly consistent for the first couple of waves of G1 anyway.

Some of the issues with the Tech Spec scores are:

SPEED... seems to mostly be an indicator of vehicle speed (or perhaps the maximum speed accessible in either mode, with vehicle usually being the highest). This doesn't seem to say much about how agile a character is at all. Also, I would assume that there would be some sort of variable scale for a jet with 8 Speed, as opposed to car with 8 Speed.

STRENGTH seems to max out at 10, leaving characters like Optimus, Omega Supreme and Devastator all in the same Strength category. Of course, Prime's TFU entry did attribute him with strength rivaling a combiner, but still... 4 MILLION lbs?! Maybe that's a typo? :) 

SKILL... the problem with this attribute is that it seems to relate to whatever that character is best at... hence a character like Perceptor has 10 Skill, probably for his scientific ability, while Warpath has 10 Skill relating presumably to his marksmanship. It's a bit ambiguous and requires us as fans to read into the results a bit based on the character's profile.

zmog

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Roadbuster and Venom in first wave? Really? I doubt these are ALL of the tech specs. Jetfire is up there because he's a large mo-fo with awesome fire-power and intelligence.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think Jetfire's Speed, Rank, and Skill all put him pretty far into the lead as well... as I recall he has average Strength, and even less Endurance though.

Hey, Seiberton.com has their "battle of the tech specs" search feature... pretty cool. You can do comparisons of all sorts of TF stats. :) 

zmog

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    A few weeks ago I was doing this same thing (judging TFs by their ranks). I went further though, up to 1987. I had to stop after that, because I in 1988 it seemed like they werent even taking it seriously anymore. Gutcruncher a 10?!