Top Gear

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Insane Galvatron, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Okay, so I was channel hopping and found a show on the History Channel called "Top Gear". This is my new favorite show. As a car nut, and fan of laughter, this show whipped my butt. :lol  If you've never seen it, watch it. Start with the episode where they make limousines. My sides hurt :lol .

I just found out this show had been out in the UK for several years. Apparently, they've made an American version and that's the one I'm watching.

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    In all honesty, the American one is awful. It doesn't even compare with the British one. I've seen both, and the British one is definately one you should watch over the American

3. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

Yeah! I love Top Gear too! But honestly I don't undertand all of the hate the the American version gets, I think that both versions have their strengths, in some ways I prefer the American one over the British on the specific episode that you're talking about my thoughts: seriously Tanner...seriously? :lol 

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This will only degenerate into people like me saying British Top Gear is much better than US Top Gear, and then US fans flaming us and calling us Anti American or something.

But in the true spirit of Top Gear, BRING IT ON YOU DAMN COLONIAL YANKEES!

5. SideswipePrime

My thoughts exactly, but I really hope that it doesn't

6. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Top Gear used to be amazing a few years ago when the programme was about the cars. Recently though its degenerated into being about the presenters and sex jokes

7. sunstreakerx5

sunstreakerx5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched some older eps of the new series of Topgear 2002 Season 2 and it was actually good. it had none of the stupid jokes and Clarksons reviews on the cars were good. the episode I watched was when Clarkson was driving the WRX STI and Evo (god knows what number) on Scotland. He gave both cars a far review. Evo was good on a track day and the Scoobie was well planted on the bumpy stuff and was good for normal use. I think there was also a cool shot out with other track day cars i.e. Caterham, Westfield.
    It would be interesting to know if many people watched old topgear when Tiff and Clarkson were working together.

Agree. The US is good in its own right. The Topgear US started airing in the UK until season 2. Any word on Season 3? I am kinda of missing it. I am from the UK so I pretty much watch topgear everytime it gets shown on BBC2 and Dave :D 

8. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

The original will always be classic, but the US one is really coming into it's own lately.

9. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I've always enjoyed the UK version, but lately the US show is starting to grow on me. Especially after they stopped doing challenges that were the same as the UK show....

I really liked the recent one with the "Dangerous cars", when Adam kept insisting his Pinto never caught fire.......

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I watch UK Top Gear only for the challenges and silly stuff they do. I have virtually no interest in cars and will tape the show so I can skip past the boring reviews and stars in reasonably priced cars.
    I felt that the UK series that just aired was pretty poor overall. I can't recall a single highlight.

11. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I've honestly never watched the UK version, so I can't comment on which is better. I'll just say this. There have been plenty of car shows that do serious reviews. I've had my fill of those. The US Top Gear I watched last night was a completely different take. I like that they do challenges. Tanner is my favorite so far. Between the Corvette Limo and racing a Porche around the track with the old ladies, I couldn't breathe from laughing so hard. The comedy factor pushes this show over the top for me. If the British show isn't this funny, then I doubt I'll like it better.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The British show can be extremely funny.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm glad to hear the US one is doing better, the Australian version was fucking apalling and rightfully cancelled after a short, short run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66owXqZaexs

All you will ever need to know about Jeremy Clarkson (the main host of Top Gear UK) is explained at about 06:04

The three of them together is always hysterical but Clarkson does some amazing shit on his lonesome.

14. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Meh.. If that's the typical UK Top Gear episode, I'm not impressed. Too much like the typical car show. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just been done to death. The US version feels like a gear head version of mythbusthers. Lots more fun to watch. It's not so much about car reviews as it is car centered entertainment.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Do car shows in the US typically end with flybys by classic aircraft and Navy para-troopers?

Okay, perhaps this is more your speed:

BBC: Lotus Exige Car Review with Apache Helicopter Gunship

Tank vs Rangie challenge pt 2 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

Porsche Boxster vs Army Challenge pt 2 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

16. SideswipePrime

It's currently on season 3 right now

17. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    No, they don't, so that does slightly set it apart. However, it still has that "serious car show" feel. Even in the clips you just posted. Do you know how many times I laughed at that? Not once. The US Top Gear show had me in stitches the whole time. THAT'S the difference and from what I've seen, the UK show doesn't capture it.

My daughter is not a car person. She loved the US Top Gear because we laughed so much. She was bored to tears watching these clips. UK Top Gear is a good car show, but it's just not funny. That's what sets the one I watched here in the US last night apart. It was hilarious. I've never seen a funny car show before. It's unique and I like it better.

**EDIT** Ok, so I was looking for a video of the limo challenge we watched last night. It's not on youtube, but I did see a UK version of the same thing.

Now THAT is funny. Not as funny as the US version, but still funny. I guess I can identify with the cars better on our version. The concept of a Corvette limo is so much funnier to me than any of those due to the fact I don't know what some of those cars even are. Never seen 'em, have no attachment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

You might enjoy the specials more then where they travel through Vietnam or Miami to New Orleans or the one where they attempt to recreate the journey of the three wise men to Bethlehem. There's no "serious" parts of those shows.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you like the US series, watching UK episodes like the Vietnam special or the diesel endurance race will blow your mind.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love the US version.

Absolutely can't stand those people who say how bad it is and how great the UK version is.