Top Gear (American style?)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Tonight was the premier night of America's version of Top Gear. Hosts Tanner Faust, and two other people I don't recognize.
    Well, I just saw it and I thought good lord. How boring? Yes, they had exciting cars on it, driving wasn't too bad, but the hosts personalities was just as dry as the Nevada desert! Ugggh!

If you absolutely love James May, Jeremy Clarkson, and Richard Hamonds Top Gear, don't even bother with Top Gear of America.

I'm sorry, but it just plain sucks.

What's your opinion?

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Do they have a The Stig? If they don't have a The Stig I'm not watching. No The Stig, no sale.

3. Tigertrack

Yea they had him. Or at least their version of him, can't tell if it's the same Stig. Probably is though.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    clarkson gets away with stuff like calling keira knightly an ironing board with a face. that shit will never fly in AMERICA.

5. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    one of the hosts is Rutledge Wood he does Nascar on the Speed Channel and for Fox I beleive.

personally they couldve gotten way better hosts, Rutledge is just no and Tanner is overplayed

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I couldn't even bring myself to pay attention and fully watch this the first time. I would keep trying to like it, going back and checking throughout the episode but it couldn't even hold my attention for 5 minutes. I watched the repeat and still was not impressed.

America sure has a bad track record when it comes to adapting things from the UK.

Thanks for the attempt History Channel, but I'll stick with my BBC Top Gear. The Hosts are better, the cars are faster, the guests are more enjoyable, and overall, it's just a great show to watch.

7. Tigertrack

Personally, I could see Tanner Foust in it despite his dry personality. But for the other two, I was hoping for Jay Leno and Tim Allen. I think it would've made it much more interesting with those two.
    Yea, we suck when we try and bring in UK shows. However, I think UK has been successful with their version of Law and Order.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Top Gear is far more than just the fast cars and the Stig. Clarkeson, Hammond and May are like 90% of why the UK show is so watchable. Take them out and you're left with *shudder* Fifth Gear.

9. Tigertrack

I agree with you Gingerchris, if it weren't for those three characters being the way they are, I don't think I'd enjoy Top Gear as much.
    I've only heard of Fifth Gear, but never scene it.

Those three have such a close working relationship with each other that it's funny to see the stuff they do to each other when they compete.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe they can make their own way with the way their hosts interact, the challenges they dream up, etc. but if they just try to ape the style and charm that the original series has, the american adaptation is just going to be one more regionalization that flops.

And even if they do try to be different and play to their own strengths, its still going to be a tough act to measure up to the UK top gear.

11. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

There's a UK version of Law & Order?

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Considering that it is on ITV1, I was highly disapointed that I coulden't phone in and vote for the outcome.

13. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Is it utter bollocks? ITV haven't done anything good for an age.

Apart from Celebrity Juice.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I wasen't paying attentiion to be honest, althougth I read somewhere that ITV just orders it from a production company that works for the American dudes.

15. Tigertrack

Lets just say I like L&O UK ton's better than I like A.T.G.

16. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I think Law & Order UK is a good show. Sure it kinda makes you miss the characters we have here since you're used to seeing them in L&O shows, but I think L&O:UK has managed to establish it's own cast of great characters. I would love to see them work out a crossover where characters from American L&O guest star on L&O:UK and vice versa.

The only thing I think L&O:UK doesn't have yet is some good guest stars, even if they happen to be from the UK. Here in America we usually have some exceptional guests stars on L&O, playing out great roles (Robin Williams comes to mind). That's the only thing I feel the UK show is missing right now.

But yeah, American Top Gear doesn't even hold a candle to the UK Top Gear. And while I understand their "recycling" of parts since most Americans haven't seen the original UK scenes, it just feels forced and unoriginal. I'd much rather have USA Top Gear make up their own unique and memorable moments.