Top 5 Video Game Franchises

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Dec 5, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

IGN is running a series this week on the top 25 video game franchises (http://wii.ign.com/articles/749/749068p1.html). Since we won't get to the final five until Friday, I was wondering which series you think deserve the top spots.

Understand, in this case, the criteria go beyond your own enjoyment (I've never actually played some of my picks). The IGN criteria are given as follows:

"(T)he overall importance of the franchise, the strength of its library of titles and the excitement for future games in the series."

So, with those parameters established, go to your corners and come out swinging!

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Mario...Link....Sonic

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

1. Legend of Zelda
    2. Mario Bros.
    3. Grand Theft Auto
    4. Metroid
    5. Final Fantasy

4. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

That will teach me not to read....

Mario
    Zelda
    Pokemon (GBA) popularity is/was RIDICULOUS
    EA Sports
    Final Fantasy
    Halo
    GTA
    WOW

5. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    5. Grand Theft Auto
    4. Sonic
    3. Final Fantasy
    2. Legend of Zelda
    1. Mario

6. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    1 Mario - platforming and saved the video game industry
    2 The Legend of Zelda - action adventure and first to allow saves
    3 Grand Theft Auto (the one I care nothing about personally) - sandbox gaming and probably one of the first wildly popular and mainstream M rated games
    4 Final Fantasy - rpg and one of the first to use fmv's as a standard
    5 Pokémon - collecting, multi-media success, and saved handheld gaming

7. misterd

OK, my pics:

There are at least that are three no-brainers for the top five:

Madden - Sport games are arguably the biggest gaming genre, and Madden is the 800lb gorilla that dominates them all. OK, this is a decidedly ethnocentric POV. I'm sure FIFA or something would fare better in the global market, but this is a list made by American writers, for largely American readers. It's there, probably in the top 3.

Zelda - Almost every game in this series is a classic (3Dwhat? Sorry, can't hear you), and in a poll of the greatest games ever made, it has several strong contenders, including, reportedly, it's latest installment. It kicks ass in home consoles and on handhelds, and manages to be kid-friendly without alienating older players.

Mario - The only question is whether Mario gets the top spot. Mario had a huge splash with Donkey Kong, and lackluster first effort in Mario Bros, but SMB was one of the most revolutionary games ever made, and it's availability on the NES went a long way towards saving a sagging industry. Today, he's gaming's Mickey Mouse. Like Zelda, he works perfectly on consoles and hand helds. Unlike Zelda, he's had tremendous success outside of his traditional genre. Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario Party, SSB, and lord knows how many other franchises have spun off from the pudgy plumber. The only thing that could possibly keep him from the #1 spot is if they choose to treat all his various lines as separate franchises.

As for the other 2...

Final Fantasy - dominates RPGs like Madden does sports. It has the legacy and the quality, and only gets stronger when you tie in spin offs like Tactics and Kingdom Hearts.

The Sims - Best selling game ever, and it's still going.

Comments on other contenders (all of which deserve consideration for the 6-25 slots):

GTA - GTA1 and 2 were mostly inconsequential. That leaves 3 games in one generation. No matter how great they are, it's just not enough history.

Halo - The franchise that single handedly let XBox beat the GCN. But it's still 2 games. See me again in 10 years.

Sonic - Great legacy, but not so hot as it once was. Have to wonder if the loss of a "home" console has hurt his standing. Having him in SSB with Mario... it's kind of like watching Roger Clemmens pitch for the Yankees.

Pokemon - Kept Nintendo alive through the late 90s, but I think there's still too many gamers who cringe at the name.

Resident Evil - Five years ago it may deserve some consideration, but while it's still popular, it's no longer the console-seller it once was (if it were, RE4 might have saved the Gamecube).

SF/MK/DOA/SC etc - Fighters were big a decade ago. Each series has their fans, but I don't think any one has an iron clad claim on being the top dog.

Metroid - Went dormant for an entire generation, and has too much competition from other Nintendo franchises (though it's amazing how easily the big N could dominate this list).

8. misterd

:confused: 

9. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

haha sorry dude i had originally posted a list of COMPANIES not franchises...because i didnt read.

10. miraisoup

miraisoup Well-Known Member

Mario
    Zelda
    Final Fantasy
    Resident Evil
    Metroid
    Metal Gear

11. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I gotta go with DF on this.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Sonic and Pokemon are already off the list, as is Megaman who didn't get nearly as high as he deserved... As for what I expect their top 5 to be...

1) Legend of Zelda
    2) Final Fantasy
    3) Super Mario
    4) Metal Gear
    5) Grand Theft Auto

13. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

My top five prediction

5. Madden, the only name in football....not because it's good but because it's all there is now. Not that I care. I hate football.
    4. Street Fighter, There may have been other fighters before SF2 but it was the true patriarch of the genre. Since SF2 countless new fighting game series have cropped up many of which have gone on to become great fighting game franchises themselves.
    3. Final Fantasy, It's considered the yardstick by which all RPGs are measured. The series that saved square, set the standard for its genre and probably was a key in the success of the PS1 with its seventh installment.
    2. The Legend of Zelda, Again a game that introduced new game elements that had never been seen before and set the standard for the genre of adventure games. Likely without Zelda there would be no Final Fantasy, and still is a standard of quality by which other games are measured. Even its dismal failures are masterpieces.
    1. Mario, The pudgy plumber made a splash in arcades with Donkey Kong and with Super Mario Bros single handedly birthed the platforming genre. It could be said that Mario in fact saved the Gaming industry.

Now my personal top 5.

5. Sonic The sonic series since the first installment was the guilty pleasure of this Nintendo loyalist. The blinding speed, the level of challenge, the pure seamlesness of the game's execution made the classic sonic series a joy to play. In modern times Sonic has been hit or miss but still managed to roll out Sonic Adventure a masterpiece of gaming and Sonic Adventure 2 which still stands as one of the most popular game on both Gamecube and Dreamcast.
    4. Starfox I will not lie. I enjoy flying around and blowing things up. Starfox 64 stands out as one of the best games ever made.

3. CastleVania Take a bunch of classic monsters and stick them in a castle. Then whip it...a whip it good.

2. Megaman Just give me a blue guy with a gun on his arm and I'm happy.

1. Zelda Is Zelda the peak of all human achievement? I say yes.

14. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Personal top 5 and why.

1. Zelda - I don't think there are too many people that don't consider this the pennicle of gaming. To me Zelda is the ultimate adventure to get lost in.

2. Mario - Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and regular platformers are a staple to my videogaming diet.

3. Castlevania - my favorite go look for shit games, ironically this series is clinging on for dear life on the DS.

4. Metroid - Possibly the 3rd biggest Nintendo franchise, but I feel it never really has been able to reach its full potiential.

5. Halo - In the short time its been around, Halo has done alot of amazing things including making the Xbox a household name, become a pop-culture phenomeon, break record sales, and sends chills up the spines of Xbox competitors. With another sequal lining up, an RTS, a movie & possible movie game. Halo is just getting warmed up as a franchise.

Honorable mentions go to Madden, Prince of Persia, GTA, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill.

15. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Wrong. It didn't save Square, it almost bankrupted them. What people don't understand is Square is dead, it's Square-Enix now. After the success of FF7, they released FF8, which was considered a major flop in both Japan and North America. Due to FF8's failure, they released FF9 to appease the Japanese fans and returned to series to it's roots (medieval times with knights and dragons, and this was the last FF game on the PS1). While North Americans didn't like it (too many random encounters, some poor babies can't handle that), the Japanese enjoyed it.

But there was one single factor that led to Square's ultimate demise: FINAL FANTASY THE MOVIE. They pumped millions of dollars into that PoS movie, and it failed on a spectacular level. The company was in danger, which led to the largest and most famous RPG company in Japan to buy them up: Enix (Dragon Quest is the more popular series in Japan. Dragon Quest 8 outsold FF10). Because of this, Sony lost the majority of the stock they held and the new company Square-Enix no longer released games only on the Playstation consoles.

As for the top 5, I really dislike popularity contests...

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    1) FIFA
    2) MADDEN
    3) NBA
    4) Need for Speed
    5) Uhhh... some other EA franchise.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    In no particular order.

Megaman
    Mario
    Sonic
    Resident Evil
    Zelda

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think FF is known more for saving Square's ass than driving nails through coffins. Square wouldn't even be a memory had they not released the original Final Fantasy, the company's last-ditch effort that singlehandedly changed their status from nobodies to the top dogs of the biz. True, they've made financial missteps in the past that have cost them quite a bit, but because of Final Fantasy, Square is a marketable name in and of itself, which gives them much more levity than other companies.

Encounters, schmencounters. I didn't like it because it was boring. Story was decent, and Chocobo Hot & Cold was a brilliant mini-game, but the battle system was slow as molasses, and dull as heck. A serious step back from FF8, which had ramped up the battle speed, and added the interactive elements to the battle system to keep you on your toes. And the card game blows.

19. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

1. Zelda
    2. Mario
    3. Final Fantasy
    4. Metal Gear
    5. Metroid

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto...