Top 5 Figures You Forgive Despite the Transformation

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by breaux man, May 10, 2018.

1. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, people don't like Sunsurge's transformation? One of my favorite things about Sunsurge is its transformation. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but what I like is that Sunsurge accomplishes quite a lot despite having far fewer parts and fewer steps than MP Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    Just like most of the BC transformers, once you figure out the knees, everything else is fairly intuitive.

3. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here, and my top would be all Badcube and XTB figures.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    DX9's War in Pocket Mightron and Snarl. The former has some stupidly tight clearances that hamper an otherwise really clever transformation. The latter just has some stupidly tight clearances - I cannot get the bot head out without a tool.

5. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

I really don't forgive non-fun transformations. I usually just part with bot and move on. I like complex, but I don't like fiddly, explosive nightmares. I've had a bunch of them though and to this day I still don't think Apollyon or Sunsurge are all that bad. I think Grump and Wardog both suck though. Grump should be so much easier. It's just that last bit tabbing in the front end.

Brawny is OK. It's not fun or frustrating...it's just Badcube.

Of the bots I still have, I'd say IT's Megatron and MP-36 would fit the bill (yes, I've got both).

Honorable mentions that I sold a while back (unfortunately before prices skyrocketed):
    FT Willis - not fun getting the back of the Jeep straight or clearing the shoulders
    FT Insecticons - kibbly mess

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mighty Menasor

Mighty Menasor Well-Known Member

1. Fansproject- M3/Menasor - I still think the hardest part is transforming Diesel from combined mode to truck mode.. with that complicated trailer and all.
    2. X-Transbots - Eligos/Cyclonus - Not really fun considering the QC issues mostly (that damn cockpit with the overly tight spring gimmick)
    3. MP Megatron - .....
    4. Maketoys - Utopia - It's just kinda big and a little awkward transforming this figure, really need a table or the floor
    5. Maketoys - Quantron - overly engineered figures that takes some time and a lot of patience to transform ...worth it though

7. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Planet x vulcan. Some joints are too tight and that tail transformation was scary but tha alt mode was so worth it. I'm not transforming him back to bot mode ever again.

8. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, I avoided Sunsurge for a long time because of his "BadCube" reputation. I finally broke down and bought him, paid careful attention to the instructions, and transformed him without much fuss. I've flipped him back and forth a couple of time since then (sans instructions), and every time I wonder what all the fuss was about. When you know how things are supposed to move and where they're supposed to move to he's honestly fairly easy. Aside from Sunsurge I have BC's Insecticons, Brawny, and Huff, and none are particularly difficult. Maybe their Hoist/Trailbreaker was worse, or maybe Wardog was that bad, but BadCube's reputation for bad/difficult/frustrating transformations seems a little overblown.

No, if only people would stop gushing over them, the company that really deserves a reputation for nasty transformations would be FansToys. I'm not particularly forgiving of un-fun transformations, and I've passed on Apache and Koot both for theirs. Spindrift isn't exactly hard, but FT definitely made it harder than it really needed to be. And for lack of a better option I recently picked up Rouge, and I hate it. I haven't suffered that much during a transformation since MP-05. I will sell her in a heartbeat if something better (MMC?) comes along.

So, partly because I didn't find some "bad" transformations to be that bad, and partly because I'm not very forgiving when I come across something I do think is bad, I don't think I could name 5 figures I've forgiven despite the transformation. Maybe Cupola, who's not exactly intuitive but also isn't exactly difficult once you know what you're doing. Oh, and Sovereign. Sovereign's a figure I probably won't ever transform again because it's not at all intuitive and kind of pain (although I'll transform him before I do Rouge again), and the alt mode payoff just isn't there, but his alt mode is kind of dumb anyway (guy with a cannon on his arm turns into a cannon) and the robot mode on Sovereign is so good that it's like an 11 out of 10.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    I really don't have a ton of 3rd party stuff so....

1. Badcube Bugs (fiddly mess but the payoff is there for all 3 in both modes)
    BAD10004_i.jpg

2. Fans Toys Sovereign. (Fiddly mess but the payoff to me in both modes, he's GLORIOUS!)
    913ef6c3-40c0-4955-b3dd-6f0cf04b9e52.jpg

3. Transformission/GenerationToy - Leader and Havoc(Menasor). (where to start? all the toys are fun and rage inducing at the same time for me. but the reward on the shelf is just absolutely beautiful to behold!)
    42e43145-54e7-413b-8b29-7b93a42a5ae7.jpg -668592389085477756.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 2:20 AM
  10. DesertDog

DesertDog dusty, but trusty

In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Omnigonix Spinout- Toy Accurate look but fragile
    FT Rouge- Gorgeous but has an origami backpack
    Studio Series Blackout- I'm terrified that I'll break off a rotor blade
    MP-3/MP-11- always feels like I'm going to rip off a leg or wing going to robot mode
    G1 Omega Supreme-the Ultimate parts-former

11. P3SS3SSOd

P3SS3SSOd Active Member

FansToys Willis/Hound. Clearance on the hood/head and arm transformation reeks.
    FansToys Forager/Kickback. Terrifying shoulder/wing transformation..

Love both of these but the transformation can literally break the toy, that's not fun.

Special mention to ToyWorld Evila Star/Astrotrain. Love this toy as the transformation makes
    it look like a complete magic trick going from black train to white shuttle, but getting there
    isn't something fun. That said, I never feel like I could break it at any stage; unlike Willis
    and Forager.

• Like Like x 1
  12. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    Badcube's Wardog.

Forgiving that transformation is awfully hard, but I manage it.

Getting the cab from Fans Hobby's Power Baser... no wait, haven't forgiven it yet.

*gives Power Baser a withering stare*

13. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

Ebay:
    1 through 4: Fans Toys Rouge, Apache, Koot, & Sovereign.

5) Fans Hobby Power Baser (folding and tabbing the cab into the super mode.. argghhhhhh!)

14. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only collect MP figures (official and 3rd party) and tbh, while I do love the look of my 3rd party MPs, none of them feel good to transform IMO. The only 3P I used to love transforming more than official MPs were the FansProject Headmasters (but I stopped collecting Classics).

15. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    PE Arenea i had to glue her windshield back on bcuz i broke it forcing some of the transformation and not paying attention plus its fiddly AF and i just don't change her often at this point

MMC Cynnicus yeah i don't really think i need to say anything the general consensus is there

TFC Poseidon - F#$% this dude, i recently finally got the weapon stands in 2 blue, 2 green and the 1 burgundy he comes with and took them all from combined to weapon and back and i had so many nicks and bruises from cuts.....just F@#$ that dude

• Like Like x 2
  16. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

Lol...very nice additions to this thread. Interesting reading that some collectors will NOT forgive a transformation despite how the figure looks in alt or in bot mode.
    Carry on...

17. hayabusa

hayabusa Skyfire

Takara seekers
    Appolyon
    Fanshobby power pime

18. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    I can really only forgive xtb’s plastic-bending, stressmark-inducing transformations for one reason- i really only use botmode in like 95% of displays.

• Like Like x 2
  19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

What if I tell you we are two now?

20. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    XTB Appollyon (UGH... but it's still the only 3P Megatron that actually looks GREAT in an official 3P collection. I'm never transforming this SOB again even though I actually quite liked the gun mode and the accessories.)
    IT / THF Megatron KO (less un-fun than the original due to improved tolerances/fit/finish... still hard/fiddly AF)
    FT Koot (I didn't mod mine so it's still hard AF to transform. What frustrates me the most about this is that it's difficult due to a MOLDING ERROR. But it looks really good in both modes)
    FT Sovereign (it's honestly not worth the effort to turn it into a cannon ever again. I said "fuck it" and bought Tyrant basically to have a Galvatron I can actually transform; it's a better cannon anyway. Damn if Sovereign isn't a perfect robot mode though)
    FansProject not-Motormaster (I TFed it into robot mode once and then into combined mode once and I am NEVER transforming that sonovabitch AGAIN)

Honorable mention: FT Willis (I actually really like both modes but I don't want to have to go through the process to get there again)

I don't have Rouge yet but from all reports she will be joining my top 5 shortly.

I get that Badcube Sunsurge and Wardog are kind of explodey, but they are still fairly intuitive to me (I originally listed Sunsurge and then said "wait... I vowed NEVER TO TRANSFORM SOVEREIGN EVER AGAIN"). Tabbing Grump is a pain but you kind of don't have to in order to get the vehicle mode.

Also, I think it's interesting that BadCube has a rep for having 'hard' or 'bad' transformations, as does XTB, when really FansToys is probably the company that probably DESERVES it most. Their transformations are just plain inelegant and often the result isn't worth the trouble (like Sovereign). Like... Apache (which I don't have), after all that trouble, has THE worst car mode of ALL the 3P Springers INCLUDING ToyWorld.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 5:09 PM