Top 5 Figures You Forgive Despite the Transformation

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by breaux man, May 10, 2018.

1. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

So, with all of the ruckus going on in the Rouge thread(definitely a polarizing topic as all toys seem to be around here), I felt we should lighten the mood with YOUR Top 5 3RD PARTY FIGURES you OWN or have OWNED, that you forgive or love, despite the transformation being too difficult, fiddly, simple, etc. Again, this is meant to be lighthearted, so if someone feels a transformation was HARD that you felt was EASY, ask yourself: what's my motive here? Explanations are welcomed.

I'll begin:

5. Toyworld Hegemon - never transformed it, but nice looking CHUG Megatron
    4. Toyworld Sideload - Man! Panels and tolerance issues, but got to have Throttlebots right?
    3. MMC Omne - transformation wasn't that bad, but waste breakage fear made me do it only once.
    2. MMC Eupatorium/Azalea - not the most graceful transformation that amounts to a spacecar/ship, but looks good!
    1. Maketoys Striker Manus/Noir - getting those arms tucked into Alt-mode is a pain, but man he looks good on the shelf.

Your turn or carry on...you choose.

• Like Like x 3
  2. boomerdave

boomerdave Well-Known Member

I'm really a "Oh it comes in Bot mode? Excellent! Here is your spot on the shelf" guy. Still there are some I had to display in alt because they were replaced for bot mode or they came in alt mode in the box. These are the ones that come to mind for me:

1) BC Wardog. The fact that it can compact as a tight neat looking tank and turn into a good representation of Warpath is really something. Transformation is hell but the end is worth it.
    2) BC Sunsurge. Another "It exploded" transformations but it goes together so well and that car locks together so tightly and is just beautiful.
    3) XT Boost. Those arms and feet are just murder. It feels like something is going to break any second but the bot is just so worth it once you get there.
    4) DX9 Tyrant. He goes from purple bot to a gray alt mode that is just beautiful and very much "Galvatron Cannon Mode". I love that one when it's done.
    5) KFC Ditka. He's easy to transform from mode to mode and while he can be a lil tight on some joints, it's really an almost G1 easy and when you're done, all 3 modes look RIGHT. It's Blitzwing everytime you get done. Not "Well...2 of the modes are good but there is one that is sucky looking (as most triple changers have)."

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  3. darkeros

darkeros Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I think we'll see a lots of badcube wardog here. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl TFW2005 Supporter

1. MMC Azalea - the fiddly transformation didnt take away from this figure's personality. The articulation really enhances the playability and I've put her in so many wacky poses.

2. Fansproject Sigma L - the opposite problem of Azalea, this guy is too easy to transform given the expectations built into the Function X line but he stands out on a shelf.

3. X-Transbots Apollyon - the only Megatron that I felt looked right with my MP10, despite only doing the transformation once, which was stressed-filled in trying not to break the damn thing.

4. Perfect X Origin Leonidas - Another figure that I only transformed once, the lion mode is more of an extra than a selling point. The robot mode is just too badass.

5. Badcube Wardog - Despite the patented Badcube "transformexplosion", I went through the transformation quite a few times and it became easier to do each time. Lets face it, G1 Warpath doesnt deserve a figure this badass looking. The fact that it looks little like the G1 cartoon counterpart speaks more to the detriment of the source material. Even though I'm largely out of the MP collection game, this is one figure I wouldnt mind getting again.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    BadCube Sunsurge isn't so bad.

BadCube Grump, on the other hand, is a frustrating nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Fanstoys Forager (Kickback) -The Clasp is a very poor design and is prone to breakage. Fortunately with a lot of tender care and working of the “joint”, Im able to transform back and forth on a regular basis. I love the FT bugs.

Fanstoys Soar (Swoop) -Those stupid plastic leg clips. Another example of poor FT Design but the diecast replacements with Grinder seem to br the solution. Outside of those clips, an excellent representation of the character.

Bad Cube Grump (Gears) -Never transformed but everyone seems to complain about the tabbing hood section for altmode. One day Ill transform him, but he looks pretty great as MP Gears.

X-Transbots Apollyon -Im not a huge fan of the figure, but it does look good as Megatron when its not fiddled with. Transformation damages the figure. Its not “forgiveable”, but even the official MP-36 loses paint when transformed. Its a G1 Gun Megs -Wutch yah gonna doo?

Fanstoys Spotter (Reflector) Never transformed but the Transformation looks to be a pain in the ass. The “gun” options -Stupid. Thankfully the generic pistols were included. But its Reflector, the camera isnt an exciting alt mode. Im sure one day Ill transform him (them) -But who wants a dumb looking camera in their display anyway? Its Reflector!

Honorable Mention: MMC Cynicus (Vos) -Its another gun-former. There arent a whole lot of ways to not have scary gun transformations when it comes to such slim designs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

1. MMC Carnifex (Overlord) - Getting the shoulder pads lined up for alt mode and the extremely tight backpack slider for robot mode makes him a bit fidly, but damn if this isn't one of my favorite figures!

2. Fansproject Cubrar (Slag) - Lining up his legs and getting everything to stay tabbed in together properly for dino mode are a serious pain, but I just love that robot mode, and his dino mode is just so perfect!

3. UT Troll (Blot) - Frankly, I always forget how to get his lower torso and legs right for alt mode, but his robot, alt, and combined modes are perfection!

4. Fansproject MADLAW (Quickswitch) - I have yet to transform him into one of his alt modes without the instructions help, but gotta love sixchangers....(right?)

5. MMC Spartan (Impactor) - It's honestly a chore to get him into alt mode, lining everything up around his waist, and I have even caused stress marks on one of the panels, and even shaved down a couple tabs to make it easier to transform, but this figure really is amazing. I don't read IDW and only know who he is from reading the boards here, but I had to have him. Maybe it was that Metal Slug alt mode that called to me the most.

I am not overly fond of complicated transformations (the reason why I barely have any MP figures). I like my figures to be sturdy, playable, and not take an hour to convert between modes. The above figures easily overshadow their difficulties with the shear amazingness of the finished modes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I gotta give another thumbs up to Carnifex here too...I rarely have to consult transformation videos, but once I "got it" with his shoulders the conversion to alt mode become a lot more fun, though the shoulders are still a frustrating element on an otherwise fluid transformation. I may be in the minority, but I would rank all three of his alt modes on par with his bot mode, just a beautiful figure all around. The only thing that could have made him better would have been ramps in base mode, but I've literally only put him in that mode once, so it's not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of Sub-Atlantica

I'll just leave my top 3 because there are too many figures that have at least one weird step when transforming them:

1) BC Wardog (It's been a long time but besides the already mentioned explosion I remember the strange shoulder joints that have to be moved up. o_O )
    2) XTB Andras (His feet! :confused: )
    3) BC Brawny (I can't remember exactly why but something went wrong during transformation and I had to fix him. :rolleyes: )

I still love these 3 bots. In the end it's so worth transforming them because the result looks phenomenal. But there are other figures that I can't forgive. For example FT Kickback. He'll never be transformed into Insect mode because I'm too scared I might cripple him. :mad:  Also looking at you and your backpack, XTB Beachcomber! Or UT Sandstorm - why go through all that trouble when in the end you have to display a robot who seems to be begging you: "Please, kill me!" :eek: 

• Like Like x 1
  10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    nearly every masterpiece transformer in my collection!!!! and i have loads :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A good transformation (or even a decent one) is very important to me. So there are very few exceptions where I still love a figure despite it's transformation being less than enjoyable. To clarify, Apollyon and Sovereign are really the only two that I don't and won't transform. I consider those two to have transformations defined as not enjoyable, ridiculously difficult, and/or parts that are fragile and can break. The rest are just fine once I get the hang of it.

- X-Transbots Apollyon - Im a fan of the figure, though not as much as when it first came out. It does look good as Megatron as long as it remains a display piece only. As stated in a prior post, transformation can damage or even break the figure. It has many flaws, yet it still has a lot of shelf presence and I still like how it looks.

- Fans Toys Sovereign - Transformation I find on this thing to be miserable. I hate it. It's no fun at all. Cannon mode isn't all that great looking to me, so it's not even worth the frustration. Robot mode is essentially perfect in every way. That is how it shall remain.

- X-Transbots Andras - Not a difficult transformation, really. Once you get the hang of getting his feet through, this isn't too bad. Alt mode is good given that it is just a bar of soap in space, and robot mode is great..

- BadCube Wardog - I don't mind the transformation. I actually like it, but it is a bit more complex than I'd like it to be. But in this case, both alt and root modes are fantastic and rewarding. I love this figure in every way despite the crazy transformation. It's well engineered and the transformation isn't bad or miserable. It's just a bit more involved than I'd like it to be.

- X-Transbots Paean - Transformation is a floppy mess. I hate it. I don't know why exactly beyond that, I just don't enjoy it. On the other hand, I don't mind their Aegis one bit. The shape of Paean's head makes it more difficult getting it to pass thru the sub-frame assembly, which is my least favorite part. But man, his truck and bot modes are great! Lots of personality and they look fantastic.

12. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

Never transformed but still love:
    Zeta Jazz
    Appolyon
    FT Koot

Their reputation preceded them, I bought them as display pieces and knew what I was getting, so I remain satisfied.

13. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I don't forgive bad engineering. I put up with Grump, because he is the only MP representation of Gears out there.

A Transformer that doesn't transform does not deserve the name.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Planet X Grimlock. i don't like having to flex the tail hinge to transform him, but the plastic is super strong and it pays off so goddamn well in both modes. he's ruined other t-rex transformers for me because of how absolute perfect he is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  16. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

For me it’s:

1) ft koot
    2) ft Springer
    3) kfc ditka
    4) kfc octane
    5)xtb windcharger

17. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Fansproject not-stunticons. Probably one of the earliest 3p examples of not fun transformations.

• Like Like x 1
  18. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

Yeah, the Wardog is STRONG with this thread...awesome explanations though for other figures! Preciate it! Sometimes, I just like reading...
    carry on....

19. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    i don’t have these problems. I’m a master at manipulating things with my hands

20. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was the Motormaster from that set.

• Like Like x 1