Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jan 21, 2010.
What do you guys think the top 20 TF molds ever made?
20 is a pretty high number to come up with... Maybe in the morning I'll attempt 10 haha.
Lets do this! Just keep in mind. These are the 20 flawless toys that came to me immediately. I'm sure there are thousands more capable for this selection.
-Masterpiece Optimus Prime
-Alternators Jazz (meister)
-Armada Tidal Wave
-G1 Omega Supreme
-Cybertron Leader Optimus Prime
-Nest Alliance Blugeon
Edit: Good input NGW so added blugeon and shockwave to vary things.
Would put Masterpiece Megs over Classics/Henkei Megs personally. And I'd say Animated has better molds to offer than Prowl (like Shockwave), but I can agree with a decent chunk of that list. Though I'd honestly include a couple movie molds as well personally.
Being a newbie collector, I don't have much knowledge of the previous TF molds, but among my collection, these are the top 20 molds for me, not in any particular order:
- HA BB
- Alternity BB
- Alternity Cliff
- Henkei Dx BB
- Classics Legends G1 BB/Henkei Minibot Cliff
- Henkei Dx Grimlock
- TFTM Dx Stealth BB (I think it came out before TFTM Premium BB)
- TFU Legends G2 Megatron
- ROTF Legends Megatron
- TFTM Dx Barricade
- TFA Dx BB
- TFA Activators BB
- TFA Activators Cliffjumper
- WST Grimlock
- TFTM Legends Scorponok
- TFU Legends/Henkei Minibot Cosmos
- TFU Legends/Henkei Minibot Warpath
- TFU Legends G1 Jazz
- Cybertron Legends Megatron/Galvatron
- TFU Legends Hound
Beast Wars Ultra Optimus Primal
MP Optimus Prime
Animated Leader Megatron
RotF Leader Prime (either version)
Cybertron/Galaxy Force Starscream
Energon Scorponok/Cybertron Dark Scorponok
RotF Deluxe Sideswipe
Hybrid Style Optimus Prime & Black Convoy
For me its:
1. G1 Optimus. If you didn't know he could transform, one could easily mistake it for a toy truck.
2. G1 Soundwave. Tape recorder mode was pretty realistic. The ability to store the tapes is another good gimmick.
3. Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Decent bot and alternate mode. Drawback - it can be top heavy.
4. Masterpiece Grimlock. Would have been higher if he was taller than Optimus.
5. ROTF Optimus Prime. Regular verion or Buster version looks amazing.
6. Master Piece Starscream. Would be better if not for the kibble.
7. Master Piece Megatron. would be better if he wasn't so flimsy.
8. G1 Grimlock. For a G1 toy both bot and mech mode are amazing! One of my fave G1 toys of all time.
9. RID/Car Robots Optimus Prime. Uncombined mode is one of the best Primes I have ever seen.
10. Fortess Maximus/Brave Max. Sheer size and decent city mode.
11. G1 Metroplex. undocumented gimmicks of interaction with combiner teams and
decent alternate modes.
12. Predaking. Overrated but largest G1 Combiner and the overall "look" especially the colour scheme makes it decent. Individual beast modes aren't as "nice" as compared to the Dinobots.
13. Omega Supreme. Motorised tank on a base is pure win IMO.
14. Trypticon. Walking robot Dinosaur that transforms into a base. Nuff said.
15. Overlord. 2 different vehicles that combine into a bot.
16. Star Saber. Love the mini-pilot gimmick and the combine gimmick.
17. Victory Saber. Winged Sabertooth Lion that combines with Star Saber. Nuff said.
18. Classics Seekers mold.
19.Classics Prowl/Bluestream mold
20. G1 Megatron. Gun mode was above average. Fold the higs and you get a decent version of Megatron.
*honorable mentions Classics Ironhide/Ratchet and Hound.
ta list like this is hard to do. You need to take in so many considirations and other factions to get a overall good list.
a g1 toy could be just as good as a toy made today ..since it was made 25 years ago. This is just one exampeel....Newer toys will get better and better because devolpment always goes forward.
BT Lazerware is a good exampl..It is a perfect mold, transformation, color and so on. But this was made in the 2000 late era. G1 Prime is darn magnificent to but he was made early 80s.
lists like these will never be fair but will only of once own favoritesm of molds.
1. MP prime
2. G1 megs
3. mp ss
4. rotf leader prime
5. universe sideswipe
I'll just throw a few out there.
G1 - Soundwave
ROTF - Leader Optimus Prime
ROTF - HA Bumblebee
Animated - Leader Megatron
Armada - Unicron
Animated - Voyager Optimus Prime
Classics - Voyager Optimus Prime
G1 - Bumblebee
This list is from what I own so that's why it's missing some better molds.
BM: Deluxe Jetstorm
Movie: Deluxe Concept Camaro Bumblebee
Universe 2.0: Sunstreaker
RotF: Buster Optimus Prime
There are soo many good molds but here is mine list of top 20.
MP Optimus Prime
G1 Omega Supreme
Only one needs to be mentioned - BW Heinlad. He's got huge balls that he sits on, a jug of booze that he totes around, flip-down shades, and a friggin' working alarm clock in his chest.
No other mold comes close to that level of awesome.
RotF leader Prime
RotF voyager Starscream
RotF voyager Long Haul
RotF voyager Bludgeon
TF'07 leader Brawl
TFA Ultra Magnus
1 - MP-1, a great representation of the iconic character
2 - THS 2 Convoy - Smaller scale figure, very well done
3 - ROTF Buster Prime - Almost perfect rendition of ILM's work
4 - Classics Prime - Nice modern update
5 - MP Grimlock - would go higher on the list if he was taller, but flawless figure.
6 - Galaxy Convoy - Good figure with a great combined mode with Sonic Bomber, combined mode does not hinder the figure in any way
7 - THS 1 Galaxy Convoy - a very nicely done figure
8 - Henkei Megatron - Great update to Megatron
9 - G2 Laser rod Prime/RiD Scourge - A figure ahead of its time, started evil prime repaints
10 - Animated Megatron - Simple transformation, but a very nice Megatron
11 - Armada Unicron - started the trend of larger figures with finger ariculation, plus great homage.
12 - RiD Omega Prime - Started a new trend of prime combining, after the beast era.
13 - BW TM2 Primal - brought back a larger size figure range, and finger articulation
14 - G2 Cyberjets - started the trend of ball joints as standards, no longer were tfs bricks
15 - Armada Bendy Prime - One of the best primes, and stands out from his entire line.
16 - Universe 2.0 Sideswipe/Sunstreaker - Pick your favorite, but a great use of a mold and design.
17 - Alt Jaguar Ravage - a great idea and update to the character
18 - MP Seeker - would go higher, but leg kibble gave it a lower score, still a great mold
19 - Music Label Soundwave - a GREAT figure, just a high price point that hurts it.
20 - And last but not least, G1 Prime. From the original, to G2, Ultra Magnus, Jafcon, Collection 0 and encore, and all the ones in the middle, this is our centerpiece, our main man. Who can deny the awesomeness of 1984 and the original Optimus Prime?
Human Alliance Bumblebee
Universe Prowl et al
G1 Prowl et al
G1 Hot Rod
Animated Samuri Prowl
Beast Wars Megatron
Beast Wars Transmetal Rampage
Beast Wars Cheetor/Tigatron
Car Robots Speedbreaker
These aren't my favorite 20, but I think they're the 20 best molds over all.
Jesus Christ, that is awesome.
I will write the first molds that came to my mind so I can give a real list according to what molds really impressed me.
- MP-01 Simlpy a masterpiece
- Binaltech Smoke Screen Awesome mold, awesome colors.
- BW Neo Big Convoy
- RID OP/Car Robot Fire Convoy. I still think this mold was almost perfect
- RID Omega Prime/ Car Robot God Fire Convoy. For me is another Masterpiece.
- G2 Dreadwing and Smokescreen. A mold that was too advanced for the time it appeared.
- Superlink Nightscream. Simply the best.
- G2 Laser Rod Sizzle. Simple but articulated.
- BW2 Thrustol, Incredible impriovement for a poor mold.
- Supercon Armada OP. The ONLY, I repeat THE ONLY mold that was good for that brick line.
- RID Scourge/Car Robots Black Convoy. Another great G2 mold, simple but awesome. The new colors gave the mold the ral parecciation it always should have had.
- Superlink Galvatron. Great and fun to play with.
- Energon Slugslinger. A great transformation for a deluxe toy.
- G1 Soundwave and his cassettes. INcredible show-likeness, and great ways to play with it.
Grrrr. I have to go, I will try to complete the list later!
My Top 20:
1. MP Prime
2. G1 Sixshot
3. MP Grimlock
4. MP Starscream
5. G1 Fortress Maximus
6. G1 Scorponok
7. Armada Unicron
8. MP Megatron
9. G1 Omega Supreme
10. G1 Shockwave
11. G1 Jetfire
12. G1 Devastator
13. G1 Predaking
14. Powermaster Prime w/Apex Armor
15. G1 Soundwave
16. G1 Prime
17. G2 Laser Prime/RID Scourge
18. RID Prime
19. RID Air Attack Optimus Primal
20. Classics Mirage
Honorable Mention: G1 Insecticons, G1 Punch-Counterpunch, G1 Blaster, G1 Blitzwing, BW Optimal Optimus
Separate names with a comma.