Top 10 Greatest/Coolest Decepticons of G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unicron's blues, Nov 11, 2006.

1. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Okay so I'm really super bored but like the title says, who were the coolest, greatest, most important decepticons of the G1 era. Cartoon/Comics/Japan doesn't matter. So here's mine in no particular order:

1. Megatron

2. Galvatron

3. Starscream

4. Soundwave

5. Shockwave

6. Thunderwing

7. Bludgeon

8. Overlord

9. Cyclonus

10. Predaking

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    10. Blitzwing - coolest triple changer design and neat colors, but could really use a new figure

9. Abominus - my favorite combiner, fond childhood memories of it

8. Sixshot - really cool design, but like Blitzwing, he could really benefit from an articulated homage

7. Deszaras - another guy I like solely for the design (I havent seen Victory but I'm guessing he's powerful)

6. Skywarp - my favorite seeker by far. Iconic color scheme.

5. Soundwave - truly iconic design, awesome voice in the cartoon

4. Thunderwing - the only good pretender, and a great character in the comics. Dude smaked Optimus in the face with the Matrix

3. Galvatron - loved his design when I was a kid, he practically made purple my favorite color. Also he's probably the most powerful Decepticon of all

2. Bludgeon - in addition to having a cool pretender shell, his character in the comics was surprisingly cool. He was like what would happen if Starscream was actually intelligent (he betrayed the Autobots while they were at their worst. Friggin devious)

1. Shockwave - my all time favorite design, and he was by far the coolest character in the comics. Just like Bludgeon, his character was sort of like Starscream but intelligent (whereas Starscream constantly failed to usurp Megatron, Shockwave succeeded all too easily)

3. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Shockwave

Motormaster (as he was portrayed in WW)

Blitzwing

Cyclonus

Inferno (BW) not sure why but liked him

Hun-Grrr

Soundwave

Thrust - liked the colour scheme

Misfire - one of my original toys

WW Ratbat - before he became a dodgy cassette

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    10. Skywarp
    9. Skorponok
    8. Sixshot
    7. Starscream
    6. Overlord
    5. Starscream
    4. Devastator
    3. Soundwave
    2. Megatron
    1. Shockwave

5. unicron's blues

Not trying to nitpick but G1 only(reference to BW Inferno)

6. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'll give a top 5.

5. Devastator - The first combiner we saw. He's just badass.
    4. Megatron - He may have been a cliched baddie in the series, but the movie redeemed him for his cool, calculating and merciless disposition.
    3. Soundwave - Tell me you didn't try talking monotone while wishing for a vocoder as a kid.
    2. Starscream - Chris Latta. Nuff said.
    1. Cyclonus - I always thought this guy was just pure awesome. He had the leadership abilities, the intelligence, and the respect a leader deserves. I only wish we could have seen him lead the Decepticons for a while before Galvatron showed up.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. G1 Megatron (Marvel comics, cartoon). Transforms into a gun, has a fusion and is insanely powerful (defeated Predaking in the G1 comics) and does nothing but plots to rule - nuff said.

Drawbacks - he can be implusive (as seen in the comics and attacked G1 Shockwave before he fully recovered) and how he lets some of his political rivals live - G1 Shockwave and G1 Starscream.

2. G1 Galavtron (Marvel comics, cartoon). Same as Megatron. But only more powerful. Drawback? He's insane!

3. G1 Shockwave (Marvel comic). Unlike the cartoon, the comic version of Shockwave was no loyal follower of Megatron. And his victories were achieved through very careful planning. Defeated Megatron in issue 5(?) of the US Marvel by exploiting on the latter's injuries and ducked him afterwards and got Predaking to do his dirty work in issue 25.

Most Shockwave fans built their impression on him based on the old Marvel series.

4. G1 Scorponok (Marvel comics). Well developed character in the Marvel comics...who realised the importance of uniting with the Autobots against Unicron.

5. G1 Thunderwing (Marvel comics). One of the few Decepticon leaders in the comics that really impressed me - so driven and focus on his goal during the "Matrix Quest".

6. Soundwave (cartoon). The watchword for "loyalty" until the movie. I'm impressed by his loyalty to Megatron. He reminds me of the "utility man" of the Decepticons.

7. Cyclonus (cartoon) . Like Soundwave was loyal but more powerful. He was a well written character in the cartoon series.

8. Predaking (cartoon). The closest thing to the ultimate weapon the Decepticons will ever have.

9. Trypticon (cartoon, Tech Specs). Similar to Predaking but lacks goals or the drive.

10. G1 Mensor (cartoon, tech specs). His function: Super Warrior says it all. Not even Predaking has that title. Failed to live up to expectation due to "mental problems" and not well developed.

*Undecided G1 Starscream - credit to him for not giving up! LOL! I admire him for this aspect and he was successful twice in the cartoon (until Bruticus was ambushed by Mensor and he sould have personally finished off Megatron) and once in the Marvel comics - the Underbase sage.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Can't really think of an order, but here's mine.

Bruticus
    Combaticons were always my favorite "scramble city" combiner team.

Skywarp
    He's a jet and he can teleport. How is that not completely badass?

Sixshot (Japanese version)
    The Headmasters series made him into a much cooler character than Rebirth. He was a Ninja!

Liokaiser
    Greatest G1 combiner, period.

Megatron
    He's the goddamn Megatron!

Triggerhappy
    Favorite Targetmaster. He had a great robot and alt mode. He was also a gun nut.

Blitzwing
    Best Decepticon Triplechanger. Sorry, but Springer gets the top spot in that catagory. ;) 

Devastator
    He needs no explaination.

Soundwave
    He shoots little guys out of his chest. Two of which can kick the asses of full sized transformers.

Deathsaurus
    Completely awsome character all around. Unlike Megatron, he was actually a great general and was pretty much undefeated, untill his massive space fortress was drained of power.

9. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    1. Shockwave.
    2. Menasor.

That is all.

10. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Based on coolness?

1. Soundwave
    2. Starscream
    3. Jazz
    4. Prime
    5. Megatron
    6. Grimlock
    7. Shockwave
    8. Ironhide
    9. Cliffjumper
    10. Rumble

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    He said Decepticons. Half of those are Autobots.

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Here are my top greatest and top coolest (some greats are not real cool and some cool ones are not so great, IMO)

Greatest: Importance and impact on storyline/Decepticon's cause

-Megatron: Cold, ruthless, and driven
    -Galvatron: Super-powerful, decisive/doesn't fuck around (in the movie anyway)
    -Devastator: Pure muscle
    -Soundwave: Intelligent, logical, versatile, calculating, and evil
    -Shockwave: Powerful, intelligent
    -Unicron: I guess he's not exactly a Decepticon, but he was pretty integral to what happened to them during and after the movie

Coolest: Neato factor

- Devastator: Combo TF, reeks of power
    - Cyclonus: One of the sleekest, IMO
    - Menasor: I dig cars, and those guys had some ballz
    - Unicron: Again, not necessarily a Decepticon, but a TF'ing planet gets my vote!
    - Shockwave: badass gun and that single eye gets me every time\
    - Soundwave: Dig that voice, and the fact that he carries his army with him

13. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

1. soundwave

2.megatron

3.devastator

4. starscream,skywarp,and thunder craker

5.blitz wing and astro train

6. bruticus

7.shock wave

8.piranacon

9.cyclonus

10.trypicon

14. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'll get 10, but here goes:

Shockwave for his iconic design. The head, the gun arm, the fact that he was absolutely huge in his alt mode (as opposed to Megatron). Yes.

Predaking, because he was so well-designed as a toy. You could see the thought that went into designing him - the lion face for a chest and the eagle wings are particular highlights, plus the way that (unlike all the Scramble City combiners) his colours all matched up. Such a shame he didn't appear in the cartoon until after it got rubbish.

Ratbat, because, although I'm not much a comic fan, I think it's cool that he was arguably the most successful Decepticon leader despite being, to all intents and purposes, an accountant.

And Dead End, who is cool in the same way that Morrissey is cool. For a combiner limb, he got some brilliant lines.

15. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

1 - Shockwave
    2 - Starscream
    3 - Soundwave
    4 - Predaking
    5 - Devastator
    6 - Megatron
    7 - Galvatron
    8 - Skywarp
    9 - Cyclonus
    10 - Menasor

16. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

1. Megatron
    2. Starscream
    3. Shockwave
    4. Soundwave
    5. Thundercracker
    6. Skywarp
    7. Rumble
    8. LaserBeak
    9. Constructicons
    10. Insecticons

This is a good concept. I mean, you cant discard the fact that Laserbeak did alot of the intel work for Decipticons.

17. unicron's blues

I'll give you that, I guess same could go for Swindle in a sense. So going over this thread, I realize, its really hard to pick just 10 isn't it?

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Hmm...

1. Thundercracker - Always been my favorite Con, I guess his uncertanty to the cause, plus general Seeker coolness won me over.
    2. Starscream - How can you not love him? He's so Shakespearean in his archtype, very Iago or Edmund from King Lear (a traitor who was also a pathetic coward) ;) 
    3. Skywarp - teleporters rock!
    4. Blitzwing - for FFOD, plus a cool toy
    5. Razorclaw - for Nightmare Planet
    6. Megatron - the "one, true" Con leader
    7. Soundwave - it's nice to know that somebody can be loyal, plus that voice
    8. The Stunticons - can't pick just one
    9. The Combaticons - can't pick just one
    10. Shockwave - the cold logic comic book version

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, let's see my top ten would be:

1. Megatron (Marvel Comics Series): In the comics Megatron was cold, ruthless and shown to be a very competent leader... which is a drastic departure from the bumbler shown in the TV series. Although he did redeem himself in movie where he actually showed himself to be as calculating as he was supposed to be. Also, aside from having a powerful fusion cannon on his arm in the comics (and taken from his tech specs) he could channel the power of a black hole and use it as a powerful weapon. Though this was realistically dangerous for him to do. Also, he defeated Predaking single handedly in issue 25 I believe. Megatron was just plain powerful in the original comic series.

2. Shockwave (Marvel Comics Series): Unlike the cartoon where Shockwave was a loyal lapdog for Megatron keeping an eye (literally) on Cybertron for him... the comic version of Shockwave was cold, ruthless and calculating. He defeated the Dinobots when he first showed up on Earth (though he did get himself trapped for his overconfidence) and he later shows back up and defeats Megatron twice by taking advantage of his commander's weakness. And than he outsmarts him and sends Predaking to take him on, but he let's Megatron destroy himself on the Space Bridge. He continued to lead the Decepticons on Earth and even took out Fortress Maximus with the space ship he had created and didn't get defeated himself until Starscream absorbed part of the Underbase. And once ressurected later he and Starscream joined forces to bring the Decepticons on Earth back under their control. Yeah, ruthless bastard... even death didn't stop his ambitions.

3. Sixshot (Japanese Headmasters Series): The Headmasters series in Japan made Sixshot out to be a much better character than his four minutes of screen time in the American Rebirth miniseries. He was the Cybertronian equivalent to a ninja and he could even project images of himself in each of his six forms that could also attack at will... and effectively too. Not to mention he had a "seventh mode", but that was just a flying version of his wolf form... still cool though. And in the cartoon he actually kills Ultra Magnus with his bare hands and later redeems himself when he saves Daniel and actually becomes good friends with the boy. Rumor has it that he defected to the Autobots after that... though no substantial official fiction was ever seen to link him to Great Shot from the later series... don't remember if it was Masterforce or Victory that Great Shot showed up in though.

4. Cyclonus (American & Japanese Cartoon): Cyclonus was one of the best written Season Three Decepticons. He was loyal, powerful and a competant leader in his own right. His only real downfall was that instead of leading the Decepticons himself... he chose to use Galvatron as a figure head and lead from behind the scenes in Galvatron's name. Think about it... Cyclonus was usually the one who came up with alot of the plans in Season Three. It's just a shame that we never saw him actually take up the leadership of the Decepticons in Galvatron's abscence.

5. Bludgeon (Marvel Comics Series): Bludgeon was the leader of his own little group of Decepticons working for Thunderwing during the Matrix Quest. Later, he took over the Decepticons perminantly after the death of Scorponok and the other Decepticon leaders. He would have killed the Autobots too if Optimus Prime and the Last Autobot hadn't interviened. He even went on to create his own mobile planet -War World- and would have used it to destroy Earth, however, he was killed by a rebuilt Megatron.

6. Thunderwing (Marvel Comics Series): Thunderwing was probably the most competant leader of the Decepticons during his time. He was a member of a small group of Decepticon royalty that preferred to allow others to lead the Decepticons while they waited to take leadership from the sidelines. He was truly inspirational during the Matrix Quest and was actually able to join with the Matrix... though it was more like the Matrix was using him later on. Still, he was an interesting character with alot of potential for development.

7. Thundercracker (Tech Specs): Thundercracker's tech specs always showed him as having doubts about his loyalty to the Decepticon cause and that he only stuck around because Starscream and Skywarp kept him convinced of their superiority of anything that couldn't fly. It's a shame that the cartoon and comic never really got into this side story with Thundercracker, but I guess he just wasn't a popular enough character. I always envisioned Thundercracker changing sides after being betrayed by Starscream and having his life saved by Jetfire. But that's just my little imagination runing wild.

8. Soundwave (Cartoon & Marvel Comics): Soundwave was my favorite characters in both the toon and comic because he's such a loyal bastard. He's the only one in the movie who wasn't going to leave Megatron behind and he was always so loyal to him throughout the TV series and the comics. Even once Megatron came back as Galvatron Soundwave continued to be the most loyal Decepticon... perhaps only outshinned in loyalty by Cyclonus. And his rivalry with Blaster was awesome and the culmination in the Headmasters series was just awesome.

9. Galvatron (Marvel Comics Series): This guy was just apeshit insane in the TV series and equally so in the comic series. Galvatron in the comics was insane, but also a very calculating and backstabbing bastard. He almost succeeded in brining about the downfall of Unicron and he actually took out Unicron's heralds in this reality.

10. Predaking (Cartoon & Marvel Comics): The closest thing to an ultimate weapon that the Decepticons ever had. Predaking was able to take on Megatron in the comics (though he was defeated by Megatron). The tech specs probably make him out to be more powerful than he was ever shown to be in the comics and toon though.

20. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Soundwave
    2. Starscream
    3. Astrotrain
    4. Blitzwing
    5. Megatron
    6. Skywarp
    7. Frenzy
    8. Reflector