Fan Art: Tools of the Trade

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I always find it interesting when artists discuss their tools and mediums. I thought it would be very interesting to hear from the illustrators here to see what kind of tools and mediums you all work with, especially since within the illustration portion of Radicons many of you work in different mediums.

When I work on illustrations, I'll often use about any kind of paper or writing tool to make a sketch. Typically, this is a pencil or pen and either notebook paper or copy paper. If I am moving to a piece I want to finish, I'll use a few different grades of pencils on bristol board to make my linework. I'll use some pens, Sharpies, and technical pens to ink (I don't ink digitally because I like the character of the line ink makes).

I'll then scan my illustration and use Photoshop to clean up things and add colors.

I also love to paint (though it's been a long while), and I'll paint on nearly any type of canvas. I enjoy oils, acrylics, and watercolors. Sometimes, I'll mix watercolors and inks, as I find that very enjoyable with both the process and the results. :) 

What about the rest of you, Radicons?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Goodness, don't everyone chime in at once :lol