Tool's new album, "10,000 Days" - real or red herring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thefrozenred, May 2, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Has anyone picked it up yet...? My friend, who is an avid Tool fan, was shocked to find that it's the very same album as the one that was leaked online a week or two ago. I listened to some of the songs on that leaked album, and they sounded like a band trying to IMITATE Tool...and it turns out to be the actual album they release today? Could this be just Tool's way to get people talking about them again, so that their popularity is high when they release the actual album they've been working on for the past 4 or 5 years? I've heard they did something similar with Lateralus (releasing red herring tracks online, whereas the album was something completely new).

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Errrrm?

I wanted to get it but now I'm not so sure. :( 

3. thefrozenred

Ebay:
  4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I am listening to the album now, seems ok so far. I would not be surprised to find that they have lost some of their creative zest, they have been around for quite awhile now. At least they havent fallen off as badly as other heavy metal acts that have been around similarly long.

The packaging for the CD is unique, and the art inside looks pretty good when using the glasses. Have to give them kudos for putting together a package that surely must have eaten into overall album profits.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's good but not great. It feels very much like a throwback to Aenima, not only in style but album structure as well. I wouldn't say it's a drop off, more like a refocusing of their style to their older albums. Lateralus is a very hard album to follow up, and will always be their masterpiece in my opinion.

6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

All I've heard is the single (can't recall the name) being played curently on local radio stations and I find it tedious and uninspiring (not to mention too long for radio). Then again, I'm not a big Tool fan, but still......

7. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Face it, they made a lousy album.

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    But after 4-5 years? And after rumors that they've spent a whole year doing a fake album?

I think we'll see another one in the Fall.

(I hope... :( )

9. SubotaiBaghatur

Lateralus and Aenima were simply amazing, but I didnt like either one the first time I listened to them. I am hoping 10,000 days will improve with listening. Its hard to imagine Tool would put this much effort into a throw away album, I am reserving judgement for now.

10. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I don't think its a lame album. Its everything I expected. Sure its not as heavy as Lateralus, but thats not what i expected. The album is a culmination of all their past work, and I think on this release they perfected their sound for sure. Carrey and Jones are as tight as ever and the music is damn technical. Is it better than lateralus, I don't know, I need to give it a few more listens but if it isn't better it sure is right up there

11. SubotaiBaghatur

Anyone notice the voices in the background on vicarious? Sounds like someone is talking in the background around the 5:20 mark. Wonder what that is, does anyone know?

(edits)

I am also curious how Maynard's dalliances with perfect circle are received with tool. Seems like this would cause problems with his original band.

Giving album a second go through now, am enjoying it more than the first run. Seems it is going to grow on my like Tool's other albums have.

12. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well, after my friend let me borrow her copy of the album for a good and proper listen-through...well, I'm disappointed. And no, not JUST because it doesn't live up to Lateralus.

Some tracks are really, really well done. Vicarious, Wings for Marie, 10,000 Days, Intension, and Right in Two ranged from good to great. But....that's only 5 songs on an 11 song album. What was going on with Lipan Conjuring, and then Lost Keys, another weird "song," RIGHT afterwards? And Viginti Tres, the last song on the album, felt incredibly anticlimatic; I wanted something amazing to close out this album, ala Lateralus. And "Sudafed" in one of the tracks? Are you serious?

To me, it feels like they didn't even really try for half this album. One half, like I said, I enjoy, but the other half...meh. I expected something better, more profound, or more moving, at least.

My friend and I were discussing that it COULD be Tool's attempt to go more mainstream, by merging some elements of A Perfect Circle into this album. Hence, by going more mainstream, they could potentially release another album in a few months' time (one they would really WANT to get out to the mainstream) to a much wider audience.

So, this CD, I pretty much peg as "Mainstream Tool." It's not horrendous, but it's not a CD I'll be listening to as much as Lateralus.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My curiosity is piqued. I don't think the band would go so far as deliberately put out a red herring album. That would be too close to fraud for a record company's legal department to be comfortable with.

Lateralus was the only Tool album I really liked right away, the majority of their body of work has had to grow on me. I've been a fan since 1993. I'll be picking this up tonight.

14. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    I'm honestly thinking it's not actually a "red herring," more, instead, a plan to draw in more people from the mainstream. The way 10,000 Days plays and feels...the way the cover art was shown a month in advance (which, apparently, is unheard of from Tool)....the way that the entire album was available for download online (also unheard of; fake tracks to Lateralus were "leaked" as well, but they didn't end up being the final album - also, Tool hates online music sharing)...it all feels like a traditional CD launch, not at all in keeping with their previous traditions of secrecy.

And why would they want a more secret than bombastic CD launch (as 10,000 Days was), if they're trying to draw in new people?

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You may have a point. Maynard now allows pictures of himself to be published.

I remember when we met backstage at Ozzfest, I didn't recognize him. We had a beer together and all I did was compliment him on his "Free Frances Bean" T-shirt.

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    You met Maynard?

*envy!*

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This must have been Ozzfest 1998. I was on-air at a rock station here in Minnesota at the time. The pay was shit, but the perks made up for it.

Him and I and a couple other guys were on the side of the stage while Motorhead was playing. He was grinning like a little kid watching Lemmy. Me too, their live show always kicks ass.

I remember seeing his all access pass and asking him how cool it was to see Motorhead every night. Only after he left did one of the roadies ask me if I knew who that was just then. When he told me, I just laughed. If I had known that was Maynard, I'd have made an ass of myself.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's a decent album...not their best but it's still got some good ideas.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

Yeah I agree....I felt it was pretty bad to only have like six 'real' songs on the album.

20. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    I enjoyed it, but I did think it seemed a bit perfect-circle-ish.

10,000 has offically been overplayed now tho. 10,000 Days, fists, and maniacs. :p 

I kinda figured the delay between albums was due to the fact that Maynard was in APC. Eh. More albums is better.