Took the SAT yesterday....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guard convoy, Mar 14, 2010.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    ugh that was one of the most nerve-wracking test i have ever taken....and it wasn't cause it was hard, i was just soooo flippin nervous.....i feel that i did alright, didn't guess at all and answered over 95% of the questions......ugh i am so scared for the results ugh

2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Over here we have the ACTs, but I know how you feel. Good luck on your scores.

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I took at least 4 ACT's and 3 SAT's, the SAT is definitely the inferior of the two tests. Answering that many questions can actually do more harm than good to your score, as you lose 1/4 of a point for every wrong answer. I finally got the hang of it during the third SAT and stopped answering everything, my scores sky rocketed because of it.

4. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I don't blame you. ACT was cake compared to SAT and SAT subject tests. It wasn't nightmarishly hard, it's just that they don't give you nearly enough time on some sections and those point deductions can really hurt. Hope your scores turn out OK.

5. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Well, good thing I'm going to Art Institute. They don't require SATS :D 

6. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No biggie...after scoring 33 on my ACT, I also took the LSAT and GMAT within the same year, did very well on both ;) 

7. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

Oh great, I'm taking it this summer. I took a practice SAT and my score was 1560 because I forgot my calculator. So it kinda doesn't seem that hard.

8. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I registered today for the one in May. Now I'm nervous...

Good luck on your scores.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Those tests are scams BTW...

Now LSAT.. that was a difficult one.

10. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I totally wasted my time taking mine for this very reason

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How do you figure?

I mean, there are elements of the tests and how they factor into things like college admissions that I'm not thrilled about, but a scam? It's a test, that you pay to take, and you receive a fairly calculated, standardized score. What's a scam about that?

* Also, I totally got a 1540, when 1600 was the max. That's not bad for a girl!

12. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    So take it again if you bomb. You can take it quite a few times. The tests, once you get into a school, are pretty meaningless later on life.

13. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I've seen on the CH1(a school news thing) that some girl and her younger brother get perfect scores on them how do you do that?

14. Gigatron_2005

Just seems like its a complete waste of people's time and energy. At least where I am its easier and cheaper to get into a good UC school by transferring from a JC. I dont see why more people dont do that. Also, yea my SAT scores were crap. :p  But Ive done better in college than most people. If it measures how well you will do in college its a really crap way of doing it.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As ridiculous as the SAT might seem at face value, insofar as how what it tests could possibly relate to performance in college, there's certainly a positive correlation between high scores on the former and strong performance in the latter.

I mean, it's not perfect, and it's admittedly a screening test (in that it has better specificity than sensitivity), but it's not a bad answer considering it takes a few hours to predict a lot about four years.

Hell, I had to take the GRE for Physician Assistant school (1480 / 5.5, just to be a dick). Nothing on there had shit to do with what I was going to study...but high scores on it are strongly associated with good performance in PA school. I realize that connection can be explained a number of ways, but there is one.

EDIT: But again, I can't say I'm a fan either--here's the rub, though. What's a better way of measuring how well you'll do in college? I mean, if the SAT sucks, what's the answer?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're hot. Can I get yo digits?

It measures how well you do at taking tests, actually. And a lot of colleges require you to study on your own and take tests throughout the term, so it helps prepare you in that respect.

But I do agree, the LSAT was the TOUGHEST test I have ever taken.

17. Gigatron_2005

Yea but I did pretty crappy on it. I do pretty bad on all standardized tests actually. Except when I happened to have a good day and accidentally marked most of the right answers. Flash forward to college where I do very well on exams. I always study on my own, never had to rely off anybody else for notes or anything. I do much better than some people who got much higher high school GPAs and SAT scores. I guess I would encourage people to not pay too much attention to those stupid scores. But eh, I'm just somebody who is really bad at standardized tests.

I dont have an answer. I'm just saying 'shit sux', and I dont think it has any validity.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I live in a country that doesn't bother with tests like that.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Are the LSAT & GMAT pretty much "standardized" tests too? ACT, PSAT, and GRE were pretty easy for me. Toughest test situation I've had was my 8-hour master's exam, but that wasn't a standardized test of course.

How? Answer all the questions correctly. :p 

Taking a test for a few hours is a bigger waste of time then spending a semester or more in a JC? That doesn't add up in my mind.

Ok, so you're bad at standardized tests but good at actual course exams. ACT/SAT & such are not, and do not claim to be, perfect predictors of how everyone will do compared to everyone else. However, as said, they do have a strong positive correlation. Scoring well is a likely indicator of the ability to do well on other tests. Of course, that's not a guarantee and their are outliers, such as yourself. The world's too big and varied a place for any kind of criteria to make near-perfect predictions.

It "sux" and doesn't have any validity? Umm... they have years worth of thousands of tests results to show their correlation. That's less valid than you're assessment that you've done better than "most people" in college? Care to quantify your data on that at all? How'd you gather this data? You really think just your own personal experiences are a better judge of what happens nation-wide with test scores and college results?

I scored 33 on the ACT, did well enough on the PSAT to be a Nation Merit Scholar, and I did better than "most people" in college. My personal experience would support their validity just as much as yours would oppose it.

So, then what's done in Canada? College admissions are solely on previous coursework?

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

...but validity is a measurable quantity. And the tests you're talking about do have validity--specifically, a high degree of positive predictive value for collegiate performance.

Congratulations on being an anecdotal exception--and full disclosure, my first attempt at college was a goddam disaster despite my solid score--but that's all we are: anecdotal exceptions. Nothing more.