Too much SCIENCE?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by SCIENCE, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

Is it me or is there too much SCIENCE in TF:Animated? It reminds me of the 90s FF cartoon.

Hey guys! Nanosec gets OLDER the more he runs! So let's like, whittle away every last minute of his life! It'll be fun!

The writers were so into putting a clever SCIENCE bit they didn't realise how Sociopathic it was. I hope they deal with this in the next episode. It's pretty disturbing for a kids' show.

The writing in general is on/off for me. The 3 parter and Thrill of the Hunt were amazing. But the rest of the eps have been a bit neh for me, mostly because of the use of whacked out SCIENCE. Where did Prometheus Black's cronie get all the extra mass from!? You can't explain it with pocket dimensions, there are no machines involved.

:( 

I know it's a cartoon, but animated really pushes it. I was hoping for something a bit closer to Beast Wars, as the first episode suggested.

I really want to like this cartoon. I love the character designs. For me, the movie was a stinker and this brings back a lot of what I love about TFs. But a lot of what I hate about western cartoons too.. again, SCIENCE...

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This thread is just an excuse to capitalize your username several times, isn't it?

Other than that, I don't understand what you're talking about. All TF series have science angles in them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  3. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

I mean that it makes a rather large point of "junk" science(even though some episodes use it more intelligently) as a deux ex machina.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Science rules. -- Bill Nye the Science Guy

I seriously doubt that "SCIENCE" is really that big of a deal to the production staff. And if you've seen "Total Meltdown", you'd know that reality and any resemblance to science fact has been thrown out the window. But all science fiction has at least a basis in science fact, even if the writers cheat and bend science fact for sake of convenience... just to keep the plot moving along.

They're just trying to make a show that's entertaining and appeals to kids. The references and cameos are sprinkled in just to keep the fandom tuned in as well.

5. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    You do realize that Transformers is of the Sci-Fi genre, right? And this is Transformers! What would a Sci-Fi show be without science? Connect the dots.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This thread has potential...

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

:lol  at the comments...

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think Animated, at least the episodes I've seen so far, has entirely too much SQUIRRELCAR.

Look at Bumblee--car? Check. Squirrely? Most definitely.

Bulkhead--car...well, carish. Four wheels is all I'm saying. And squirrely? Without a doubt?

Ratchet? Don't even think I need to cover this one.

And Prime--what firetruck only has four wheels? I'll tell you--a SQUIRRELTRUCK. Which is the same as a SQUIRRELCAR.

9. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    :lol 

I can see all the threads now...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is it me or is there too much HUTCHPRIME in TF:Animated? It reminds me of the 90s FF cartoon.

The writers were so into putting a clever HUTCHPRIME bit they didn't realise how Sociopathic it was. I hope they deal with this in the next episode. It's pretty disturbing for a kids' show.

The writing in general is on/off for me. The 3 parter and Thrill of the Hunt were amazing. But the rest of the eps have been a bit neh for me, mostly because of the use of whacked out HUTCHPRIME. Where did Prometheus Black's cronie get all the extra mass from!? You can't explain it with pocket dimensions, there are no machines involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

I'm not sure you guys understand what I mean by SCIENCE! It has to be capitalise by that. It's science or psuedo science that's generally poorly explained and whacky, or using "scientific" conclusion for something nonsensical like whittling away Nanosec's life instead of catching him when he was stopped.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Science fiction?

When someone gets knifed in the mouth on that show, then I'll do one of these...

12. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Definitely.

Though Mr. Science you are not complaining about how science is used but the story telling format with a plot device.

13. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

GOOD Sci Fi or pseudo science isn't SCIENCE!

SCIENCE! is when you use some kind of unbelievable form of science even for Sci-Fi and make a point of it being SCIENCE!

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

...this joke is no longer funny.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should have used a Windcharge on Nanosec instead.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

OK mangs, stop harrassing that poor bloke.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This SCIENCE wouldn't happen to be WIERD would it?

If so, I am totally there

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I completely understand what Sci is referring to, but I just don't agree that it's such a big deal. At least they are trying to implicate some kind of darker, twisted science into their bad guys instead of the simple plot devices used in a lot of tunes now. Hell, I even remember how War Dawn applied Temporal Mechanics of a sort, and at the end all of a sudden Optimus Remembers the Arielbots. G1 had some freekin great moments with a touch of SCIENCE applied.

The Newer Ninja Turtles had a lot of that and I really enjoyed it.

19. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Beast Wars is no better or worse, by that definition. "Transwarp waves" that magically change robots into more powerful robots? "Energon overload" that can only be mitigated by growing fur and pretending to be an animal? "Indestructible sparks" that can be split with "energon scalpels" in order to make two souls in separate bodies? All of that was, in the context of the episodes, presented as cause-and-effect science.

This is, of course, aside from all the other whacked-out tropes of Transformers science, like mass-shifting, spontaneous centrally-organized molecular rearrangement, mind-transfers, and any respect for the laws of momentum.

If you can suspend your disbelief for all that, the idea that Sumdac's suit somehow does a weird time-acceleration effect isn't that farfetched.

As for the unjustness of the punishment, consider that Nanosec was effectively carrying a weapon of mass destruction, and was more interested in getting paid than in the possibility of wiping out half of the city. If this were "real life", he'd have been shot on sight. The Autobots let him keep his life, and hope for a cure. Not to mention that Nanosec brought it all on himself; no one forced him to put on the suit, endanger lives, or even take Megatron's job offer in the first place.

20. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm a little sick of Hollywood underestimating kinds intelligence. I can appreciate some SCIENCE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.