Too much going on this time around?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

anyone else worried that there is too much stuff going on this time around to have a good story?

Now I loved the first movie, i thought there could have been things done differently, but im definetly not a hater of the movieverse by any means, but i cant help but notice all of the plot points that we've gotten info about for the new movie.

• we got shia and megan at school that they have to develop
    • the alice character needs introducing and developing
    • we got the autobots which will obviously be further developed
    • we have the decepticons which we've been promised will have more screen time
    • Combiners need explaination
    • we supposedly have the fallen which needs not only and introduction but a back story for as to why hes seeking revenge and then we have ot develop that character
    • we have the US involvement that needs developing
    • we have the return of megatron that needs explaination (you're crazy if you dont think he'll be back)
    • and we need explaination for the deep ties the transformers have with earth.
    Take all of that and throw in some action sequences which only kill more time and we're left with a mess of a story. Some of these points will mesh and blend with each other but what does that say for how well the movie will be when its all said and done?

the first movie we had to introduce the autobots, develop shia (megan wasnt really developed), introduce the military and the analysts, introduce the decepticons and s7 and that was about it and people complained that there wasnt enough time for all of that the first time around...

...so how (if everything above is true) are they going to make this all work this time? To me something (or a few things) must obviously be wrong in the list that i posted, there just isnt enough time for it all to work.

2. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Orci said the film will be longer than the first, which was 145 minutes. This would make ROTF as long as The Dark Knight, a very complex film.

3. Bottom Out

The dark knight has a very small cast and didnt need any introducing of new characters other than harvy and the joker. no back stories were needed for anyone other than them either. The movie was about stopping the joker and that was pretty much it. A lot of people agree that two face was rushed.

ROTF will be about a whole lot more than just 2 new characters and someone like the fallen cant just be rushed

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I've really come to the point where I'm just plain out right skeptical of any sort of 'information leakage' coming from the sources. That info about Bay saying that Megatron doesn't come out in this film is in clear contradiction of other sources of information for one and I'm also highly skeptical about the Fallen coming out in this.

Several of the points you make I feel like mentioning: I think Megatron's return and the Decipticons' increased screen time will mesh with the same being for the Autobots and the US involvement. I seriously doubt the combiners will be explained at all (nor do I think they have to be): Devastator simply exists as a fusion of seven robots pure and simple.

Of course, if definitely is a lot of stuff to be unloaded into a film that will probably run for 2 hrs. 30 min. at tops. That said, I'm just reserving judgment until more concrete info (i.e. trailer) comes out.

5. Bottom Out

yea, even a trailer wont tell us much though i dont thikn, i odubt they will show devastator or soemthing like that in it

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't believe that Alice will require too much development, and combiners can probably make do with minimal explanation.

7. Bottom Out

i agree the combiners wont need a 10 minute piece explaining them but there will be time taken to either showcase the combonation or showing the good guys jaws drop and have to regroup which is really all the same when it comes to time constraints. If devastator just combines and everyone goes on thier own merry way like nothing it would ruin the whole resaon why devastator was included in the first place i think.

as for alice though, i feel she will have to be given enough time on screen so that her characters is a valid threat...either for sams relationship or life, you cant have a character with the rumors surrounding her just pop in and say "hi im alice" and be done with it you know? there will be screen time and dialogues between alice and the other humans wich takes up time

8. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Complex ????
    Bleh I bet anything this movie explains next to nothing and is going to be about how much @#$ gets blown up per minute other wise known as SGBUPM.

I see them skipping all sorts of depth and or plot just to get the SGBUPM number as high as possible. This will be great for those with Attention deficit disorder as it will have a ton of stuff going on so quickly. On the other hand I could be wrong.
    My main objection to the Fallen was that they cant possibly bring him in with out killing a good majority of character development we were promised after the lack of it from the first movie.

This movie is only going to be about the "BAD ASS" designs and explosions lol

9. Bottom Out

whats SGBUPM stand for?

and sadly i sort of agree, there is no way his will be a good movie if the fallen is in it the way the rumors say he is, and thats really unfortunate

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Exactly my issue with him. They need to do some SERIOUS development to get him in the movie without just chucking him in there and saying, " Here's this Fallen guy, he's like SUPER BAD ASS and bent on revenge....for some reason, maybe you'll figure it out".

11. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    I admit, I'm a bit skeptical about how well it's going to be pulled off, but at least I haven't made up my mind that the whole idea is hashed out and half-assed.

12. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

Ok, relax, first of the combiners dont need any explanations... They combine, thats all.. What the fuck did they explained the transformations in the first movie.. NOP, they just transformed!! And for Alice, well, she s a pretender and thats it.. Megatron will not even be in the movie and the tank is only a toy BAy said in the magazine so who cares.. The only thing that need ''explanations'' will be the Fallen and with a 2:30 hour movie I think they ll have enough time!! Stupid tread, useless

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm also a bit worried about a rush and how that's going to impact the story telling. Let's face it while Bay is great with effects shots he's never been known as great story teller so throwing in too many story elements and characters couldn't be a good thing.

My fear is that we are going to end up with a lot of the stuff that I didn't like the first go round. Namely characters either showing up just to get killed off or they end up as some card board stereotype.

I'm all for new stuff but not if it means lots of characters with no background or no character depth. Ha ha, blame Beast Wars for that I guess.

14. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    there will be a hell of a lot going on, but it should all come together ok
    if there isn't enought ime to develop the bots, it's our own fault. we were the ones demanding more bots and more bot screentime and now apparently we have 40. but i guess we could apply the x-men movie model here and have the major ones developed and the minor ones glossed over.

15. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    Just like Spiderman 3. Everybody was demanding Venom even though Raimi doesn't like him. Result? He was tacked on in the last 20 minutes. Fandom is simultaneously the best and worst thing for sci-fi movie franchises.

16. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    More characters = more toys for me.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Or worse Mortal Kombat 2 the movie where they attempted to fit every one of the video game characters up to that point into the film.

18. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it'll be a mess, like the first one. But as a_person said.. More toys :D 

19. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

Bay doesn't seem to strike me to be the sort of person to alter his script to suit a fanbase, though he has made a few compromises to not completely alienate the big G1 fans.

I'm not a Bay fan by any stretch of the imagination. I loathed Pearl Harbour and he's a pretty weak story teller. But I will admit I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie, and can respect his artistic direction. I don't give a slag if Prime has flames. Big deal, it looks cool to me. What was important to me was Prime's voice, and his personality, and both were just fine to me. So I'm just going to wait until the film's out, rather than speculate what's going to work and what isn't, what's rushed and what's not, when we don't even have a solid idea what's going to be in the final cut, and how all the material is handled. Hopefully, like the first movie, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

To me it looks like Bay just wants to make the main villain more powerful than the last in each movie. Megatron was very powerful, they bumped him off already. The Fallen is more powerful than Megatron, he will get bumped off next. For the third film they will most likely introduce something more powerful than the Fallen. Then the grand finale will happen against this super powerful enemy (Unicron? Galvatron?) and the trilogy will go out with a bang. If this is their plan, it should be a fun ride. But I'm honestly not expecting a lot of character development for the bots in the upcoming films. I see the human love story getting more attention/development overall.